FJR does a Single Lindsey without success

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as tickets go, I think the officer has a bit of discretion here. The other driver could be cited for contributory negligence, but it's a tough call on a mountain road with a crashed out RV on it. They should stop their car, but where?
The officer can't cite the other driver, the sedan parked on the inside of the curve, because the fuckers drove off after my crash. In fact my first words out of my mouth may have motivated their quick exit: yelling "Who the fuck parks on the inside of a turn!"

Regarding where the sedan could park, there was a turnout with room for twenty cars on the outside of the of the same turn. :angry2:
Welp, that clears it up. In that case, I prolly wouldn't have used the language you did. I would have used a few more words in order to convey my meaning in way more appropriate to the situation, something like,

You fuckers! Who the fuck parks on the inside of a fucking turn?!?

;)
Big ditto -- only idiots would park there :angry:

Glad you're ok though.

I guess that "too fast" would mean faster than you would have been able to go and safely avoid an accident.

Accidents suck. Been there, done that. Similar situation for me on my old cruiser. Sight-seers decided to park in the driving part of a lane. I wished I had ABS back then.

Wow, sorry to hear about yet another accident. I hope you heal fast and you get your bike fixed. This forum is great for getting everyone's input, good or bad, and the discussion will help you get over the mental part faster.

I don't know the rules for other states, but Alabama says if the officer didn't see it, he can't ticket for it. As a result, some folks that really deserve tickets badly don't get them, but others that really don't deserve them don't get cited either.

Get it fixed and get back on it.

I really hate to hear about crashes but glad no one was hurt bad!

Just kinda makes me want to slow down again.

Heal quickly and good luck with the repairs.

Glad to hear you're mostly okay. You got bit by lack of visibility through the turn, something that could get many of us with the wrong combination.

For those who do not know Angeles Crest, you could pretty much maintain 45 MPH for its entire 60-odd mile length without shifting your weight or, if you have mad skilz, never touch your brakes. I don't recall a single off-camber or diminishing-radius turn. There is at least one great "traction circle" you can see completely across (turn-out in the middle) and try for max lean.

Sorry to hear about the damage to you and the FJR. Thanks for posting the details, makes me glad I traded my '05 non ABS for an '06 with ABS. I used to lock up the rear on the 05 more that I'd like to admit( crap, looks like I just admitted it ;) ) Also, I wear a one piece Aerostitch Roadcrafter and stories like yours make sure that I continue to wear my 'Stitch even when its a bit warm and I would rather wear something lighter. Hope all works out for you.

A big time sorry about your wreck, next time shoot him to get even.

A bout your ticket, they can delay giving you one and mail it to you. they have to check the codes and ask their superior in charge. I hate to be the barer of bad news but he will site you " to fast for safe riding conditions" or neglience on your part, iswhat he will site you for.

As for a b s I have them and have entered corners to fast and had to use them and found out how they would react compared to regular brakes. You may not have laid the bike down but would of been able to stop and maybe just fall over to one side being not abel to hold all the weight of the bike or bump the car in the rear at a very low speed say maybe 5mph it is to hard to tell.

As far as abs love them they have saved me a couple of times from cars slowing and not using their braks to warn you they were alowing down.

Your cost to repair will be greater than 2k dollars.

For parts remember Gary McCoy in South Dakota best prices.

The insurance company will count that against your driving record for three years as a violation, whether a ticket is issued or not. If they raise your rates, it is up to them.

Had a similar incident in my work truck. No ticket but held it against me for three years.

good luck and get back on that bike

remember there are no bad rides just bad drivers :rolleyes:

Glad to hear you're mostly okay. You got bit by lack of visibility through the turn, something that could get many of us with the wrong combination.
+1. I got caught in a compounding situation. Lack of visibility put me into risk right away. The sedan in the middle of the turn caught my attention but I was okay (only front brake applied). The people between the sedan and the double-yellow caused panic (locked the rear tire). Crossing the double-yellow, locking the rear tire, not knowing what opposing traffic there was and a vague sense of something weird ahead (the tipped over RV) put all my senses on HIGH and any rational motorcycle inputs on LOW.

I think I could manage each risk individually but all together...evidence shows that I could not.

Uh, just who was doing the accident scene management? Sounds like the CHP wasn't , or he/she would have noticed the problem beforehand. How nice, safe and distant to make a report after not keeping the roadway open.

I'm glad to hear you're in good shape. Bikes can always be repaired or replaced.

Doesn't that just burn you what the CHP said? I was once in an accident where a Mercedes ran a stop sign and I t-boned it. I was riding a 1986 Honda Shadow 1100 and had about 1 year experience. I locked the rear wheel at about 40 mph and left a skid mark about 35-40 ft. going DOWNHILL. The cop wrote in the report that judging from the length of the skid mark to the impact site I must have been doing 80 - 90 mph. WTF??????????????

The other driver's insurance saw that and wasn't going to pay anything. My dad threatened lawsuit and they paid for everything including my hospital visit. bastards....

Last Sunday, riding back from Newcomb's Ranch on Angeles Crest Hwy I put the FJR down. At about Thanks to the rollover, the FJR has some significant body damage: both saddlebags scratched, windscreen damaged beyond repair, both mirrors gone, left engine cover scratched, upper front cowling needs replacing, right exhaust scratched, rack scratched, one MOKO slider sacrificed and helmet damage. Motor, suspension and frame seem okay.
Anyway, any thoughts on how to report this to the insurance company? I haven't filed a single claim in 14 years of motorcycle coverage (different companies, though). There was no collision with other property (vehicle, fence, home, etc.) so is it a comprehensive claim? Is making a comp claim more likely to raise my rates? FWIW, I did a quick parts lookup at Ronayers.com and stopped when the total w/o saddlebags went over 1K. [1]

Really glad your OK B&B, hate to hear anyone going down.

I say use your insurance, this is what it's for. You have $1000 in parts when you quit looking, new bags are close to another thou, the shop labor will be at least as much as the parts, plus a new lid will be at least a couple hundred or more. So your close to a $5000 estimate and that's just your estimate, the shop may find more, in fact have you checked the steering stops in the front end. Coyote's sheared off and it sounds as if your accident was a more violent stop.

Your insurance would have to go up a lot for many years to make up that $5000 in repair damages.

Get -R-dun son !!

That sucks.

I say talk to your insurance agent, its possible after going over it with him they will consider it not your fault. My son-in-law dropped his bike hitting leaves at a stop sign and hitting oil on an on ramp on to the 5 from Los Felis and his rates didn't go up either time. This was on my progressive policy (I use C Diamond in Long Beach).

I wasn't cited at the crash site. Any chance that one's coming in the mail or with the CHP collision report?

That is possible...just happened to me with a little car fender bender....

Ron

Sorry to hear of the accident. Glad to hear you rode away from it.

I had my own disaster last fall, which is why I own an FJR but that's another story.

Obviously the CHP officer wasn't a rider or he'd have understood the dynamics, but the key fact is probably that you were going too fast to safely stop (because you didn't safely stop, making it a self-serving statement) which is speed related or a driver error - what if it had been a deer or a bear?). You reacted improperly to the situation, crashing as a result.

You had a single vehicle accident in a situation with dry conditions and with good weather. Doesn't matter that Joe Public was out for an afternoon stroll in your lane - the law requires that you be vigilent and be ready and able to avoid all obstacles. So unfortunately I suspect that you ARE going to be found to be at fault.

However that's why you pay for insurance - file your claim and deny any responsability. Blame the parked car and the roving pedestrians and don't admit that you took too much rear brake.

I was found responsable (you'd think that the driver of the other car, admittedly travelling with his left wheel on or over the yellow line coming the other way in what for him was a left hand curve could have shared that little gift with me - we traded mirrors and in trying to recover, I wound up on the left side of the road and had a head-on with the car behind him - but that's another story).

I replaced my Concours with an FJR and the rate for this year is almost exactly the same as what I paid 3 years ago when my Connie was new. It had decreased a total of about 30% over the 3 insurance years I'd owned Connnie - with full replacement cost coverage - and the rate simply went back to where it was when the bike was new - and this bike cost a lot more than the old one.

So if your record is clean they may not even raise your rates. My agent apologised and told me they'd hit me with a one year increase. I'm just happy that I survived my crash.

Last edited by a moderator:
You had a single vehicle accident in a situation with dry conditions and with good weather. Doesn't matter that Joe Public was out for an afternoon stroll in your lane - the law requires that you be vigilent and be ready and able to avoid all obstacles. So unfortunately I suspect that you ARE going to be found to be at fault.
+1 Thankfully your injuries are not worse.

Just to lend some credence to this theory -

last Fall, I hit a deer a 65mph on a clean, dry, straight piece of highway. Nevermind the Kamikaze attack at full gallup from the woods and brush at stage right, nevermind the 300ms between appearance and impact, I got cited for failure to avoid a collision. It was a $120, and, more importantly, 4 point (out of possible 12 before revocation) ticket. Fortunately, the trooper followed up with his promise to make it go away in court and made it go away in court.

Your mileage may, hopefully, vary.