FJR does a Single Lindsey without success

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You had a single vehicle accident in a situation with dry conditions and with good weather. Doesn't matter that Joe Public was out for an afternoon stroll in your lane - the law requires that you be vigilent and be ready and able to avoid all obstacles. So unfortunately I suspect that you ARE going to be found to be at fault.
Just to lend some credence to this theory -

last Fall, I hit a deer a 65mph on a clean, dry, straight piece of highway. Nevermind the Kamikaze attack at full gallup from the woods and brush at stage right, nevermind the 300ms between appearance and impact, I got cited for failure to avoid a collision. It was a $120, and, more importantly, 4 point (out of possible 12 before revocation) ticket. Fortunately, the trooper followed up with his promise to make it go away in court and made it go away in court.

Your mileage may, hopefully, vary.
I just now got a call from the friend who got me into biking. His call was from a hospital bed. He hit a deer on the Taconic Pkwy on his way to work. F$%&ing deer! I will understand more when the morphine doses decrease.

Use your insurance, thats what its for. Totaled an FZ1 a few years ago and my insurance (State Farm) didn't go up one penny.

I often ride in forested areas with blind curves. You've got to slow down and assume there's trouble around the bend, kinda like always assuming someone coming toward you is going to turn left in front of you. I know we all like to push it to see how fast we can go, but its not worth it, something I learned after my accident. I find lately its much more fun to get in a rhythm from corner to corner at a slower pace. When sitelines are good through corners I do like to step it up a notch.

Car parked on the road. People walking to the left of the lane. WTF are you supposed to go. I agree 4 whell LEO's probably don't have a clue about 2 wheel vehicle dynamics. You always have to be careful whhat you tell a LEO. Don't ask me how I know. Hope to see you in good shape at WFO. TJ

What did the RV get an illegal parking ticket?

I just now got a call from the friend who got me into biking. His call was from a hospital bed. He hit a deer on the Taconic Pkwy on his way to work. F$%&ing deer! I will understand more when the morphine doses decrease.
That must be a hell of a friend if he's calling you from a hospital bed.

I hope he makes a full recovery. It sounds like he's at least slightly ahead of the game - at highway speeds you've got a pretty good chance of not living through a deer strike. If you get any more details, I'd like to hear them.

Glad it wasn't any worse... can't say why the officer was giving you grief if you were within the speed limits... :blink: Heal fast, and we won't rib ya (too much) at WFO if you're on the SV...
Because the cop didn't understand the term "apex" ;)

As a result, some folks that really deserve tickets badly don't get them, but others that really don't deserve them don't get cited either.
:blink: :dribble: :huh:

Thanks for posting about your mishap. It brings all of us back into reality that anything can happen on the street so slow it down.

Lately with my newly aquired GSXR1000 I have begun to take the turns faster just to try and improve my skills.

Posts like this help those of us who need a slap of reality to slow down...

Glad you are ok.

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh, just who was doing the accident scene management? Sounds like the CHP wasn't , or he/she would have noticed the problem beforehand. How nice, safe and distant to make a report after not keeping the roadway open.
Not that I want to side with the CHP but they were not yet present for the tipped-over RV to manage the accident scene. I do, however, resent the few motorcylists and cagers already stopped for the tipped-over RV that did not send out people (flagmen) to slow or stop traffic from both sides.

At any accident scene, please attend to the injured, call in the EMTs and LEOs, and send out people to slow and/or stop incoming traffic.

Obviously the CHP officer wasn't a rider or he'd have understood the dynamics, but the key fact is probably that you were going too fast to safely stop (because you didn't safely stop, making it a self-serving statement) which is speed related or a driver error - what if it had been a deer or a bear?). You reacted improperly to the situation, crashing as a result.
The CHP officer was on a BMW 1150RT. That last time I checked, those are motorcycles :D

You had a single vehicle accident in a situation with dry conditions and with good weather. Doesn't matter that Joe Public was out for an afternoon stroll in your lane - the law requires that you be vigilent and be ready and able to avoid all obstacles. So unfortunately I suspect that you ARE going to be found to be at fault.
I understand the theory and reason for the law behind the thinking to "be vigilent and be ready and able to avoid all obstacles" but how many compounding obstacles should be considered when on public roadways? Should I be vigilent enough to avoid a parked car in a blind turn, pedestrians in the roadway, a speeding 10-ton truck in opposing traffic and crossing the double-yellow line with sandstone mountain on the inside and a steep ravine with corresponding drop on the outside of the turn? What's the appropriate speed on any roadway to handle any combination of risks? 5mph? 8mph?

Should I creep across every green light because there might be cross-traffic that will ignore its red light? When does it end? I suppose the poor sods who drove off 100 foot tall highway interconnections during the Northridge earthquake deserve tickets too.

At that point, I should just soak in my tub and rest but crap, statistically that's dangerous too. In any case, the law is objectively written but must be subjectively interpreted.

The insurance adjuster found me "not at fault" today :yahoo: Now we go repair and prepare for WFO-5. Oh, and wait for a possible gift from the CHP.

Good thing because the SV650S would suck at passing at elevation in the Sierra passes. The FJR is sooo much better at that. :biggrinsmiley:

The insurance adjuster found me "not at fault" today :yahoo: Now we go repair and prepare for WFO-5. Oh, and wait for a possible gift from the CHP.
Good thing because the SV650S would suck at passing at elevation in the Sierra passes. The FJR is sooo much better at that. :biggrinsmiley:
:thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim: :thumbsupsmileyanim:

:yahoo: :yahoo:

the main thing is you will be fine in no time and back in the saddle . Screw the cop . the insurance co. will cover big time and with Gary (i check alot of different shops and he does have the best deals in the u.s ) The adjustment form your local shop will charge you retail prices for parts plus labor at gary you will be buying at a 40 to 60 per cent discount . DO the math your going to have some nice cash left over to heal the pain a bit .

Last edited by a moderator:
Hitting the rear brake in a panic situation. A real problem. How do you get your mind ingrained with front brake use so you instinctively use it in emergencies? A tough one. I try to do it by thinking about it A LOT. Practising stops. Often by riding with two fingers on the front brake and THINKING about why they're there and imagining a deer suddenly appearing out of nowhere--- & at the same time keeping my foot well off the rear brake.Dwelling on killing speed rather than evasive action. Even these things don't guarentee front brake use when I need it.Any other ideas? Glad you are OK!

Hitting the rear brake in a panic situation. A real problem. How do you get your mind ingrained with front brake use so you instinctively use it in emergencies? A tough one. I try to do it by thinking about it A LOT. Practising stops. Often by riding with two fingers on the front brake and THINKING about why they're there and imagining a deer suddenly appearing out of nowhere--- & at the same time keeping my foot well off the rear brake.Dwelling on killing speed rather than evasive action. Even these things don't guarentee front brake use when I need it.Any other ideas? Glad you are OK!
Gulag...I'm with you. In all my practice I never use the rear brake but in the time of a real panicked, emergency that's what I did. My practice included near full emergency braking from speed including swerves before and after, and braking while turning.

Start a new topic and ask the same question--a worthy one.