FJR Forum European M/C Tour: June 25-July 10, 2011!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beemerdons

Certifiable Old Fart
Reaction score
FJR Forum European Motorcycle Trip from June 25 through July 10, 2011.

There’ve been 7 FJR Forum Members who’ve been sending private messages between them regarding the planning out of a Europe Forum Ride:

Old Michael, Fairlaner, Orestes, Big-D, Dr. Rich, beemerdons and teerex51.

Since the 3 possible trips will range from between $4K to $6K+, I wanted to give all interested FJR Forum members eighteen months to save up for this!

We do not need to reserve our bikes and flights until this time in Year 2011!

We would NOT need to reserve our lodgings until Easter time of Year 2011.

Note: My budgets below include airfare, bike rental and room. NOT booze!

Proposals decision will be made from your input between now and 12/31/10!

Proposed Trip 1 – Central Alps and Dolomites. We would fly into Frankfurt, take the express train to Heidelberg and rent our bikes from my old friend Stefan Knopf: https://www.knopftours.com/Web-Site/Rental.html

I, and my BMW Moto Club AZ Beemers, have been renting from Herr Knopf for many years. Most economical bike rentals in Europe; nice K75’s.

One of the beauties of this trip is that we would be able to link up with old time FJR Forum Friend Stef – teerex51. Between Stef and I, we will plan an Alps and Dolomites pass bagging route that will knock your socks right off!!

Budget: The estimated cost of this trip is $4K. I led this exact same AZB trip in May 2007 for $3K-, so I’m absolutely certain it can be done for $4K.

Proposed Trip 2 – Republic of Ireland and Ulster, UK. We’d fly in to Dublin and party for a few days. Good friend Seamus MacTreinfhir, also a close friend of SkooterG, is a Dubliner and he’d take us on pub crawl of Dublin that’ll be just one short step of getting us all arrested; Aye, Begorah!!

Once we sober up, we'll take the 2-hour train ride from Connell Station in Dublin to Belfast Central Station; rent our BMW/Honda bikes for 6 days from:

https://www.irishbike.com/index.html Seamus has a nice 6-day route laid out!

Seamus says since “The Troubles” are calm; Belfast is a fun party city now!

Budget: Estimated cost of this trip is $5K. Will be my 1st Eire M/C touring.

Proposed Trip 3 – England, Wales, Republic of Ireland, Ulster and Scotland.

We would fly in and out of London, England. We’d rent our bikes for 10 days from https://www.rental-motorcycle.com/europe/uk...don_rental.html

Fairlaner will lead us through England. Orestes leads through Wales and Scotland. Your FJR Forum Irishmen, Old Michael and BeemerDonS, with able help from Seamus, will lead you around “Yer Maun’s Emerald Island”!

Budget: At the very barest minimum, the 5 regions Isles trip will be $6K+!!!

I would be SO ON trip #1 if I was able to save the shekels for it. :clapping:

Sadly, I am now living on 9/10 of what I made a year ago due to salary cuts...so I have to forego this trip.

But if I win the lottery, I will be sure to chime in. Take lots of pictures! :yahoo:

I would be SO ON trip #1 if I was able to save the shekels for it. :clapping:

Sadly, I am now living on 9/10 of what I made a year ago due to salary cuts...so I have to forego this trip.

But if I win the lottery, I will be sure to chime in. Take lots of pictures! :yahoo:
Wheatie, as much as I'd like to motorcycle Ireland and as much as I would finally like to see Scotland; I too would vote for #1.

Primarily because it would be a chance to see mi amigo Stefano Sarao, once again. Teerex51 is one of our GOOD GUYS here!

Last edited by a moderator:
Would definitely be interested in trip #1. A couple years ago, Stef was gracious enough to spend the bulk of one day showing me around Milan...still owe him another beer for that one.

I'll be following this thread as it develops.

--G

#1 has got me dreaming also. I too need to repay some fine Italiano hospitality of our brother Stefano.

escapefjrtist & SkooterG: Duly noted, this's what I'm looking for; consensus allowing the most participation by FJR Forumites!!!

The Dolomites! I love Italy.....

.....on the other hand I have never been to Ireland and it is certainly on the short list with New Zealand, Tuva, and Antarctica (although I suppose a motorcylce tour of Antarctica would prove quite challenging logistically).

penguin20cyle20rally202.jpg

It's a good thing that there is some lead time available for head scratching and chin rubbing.

Is 2 up riding an option? If so, how much extra for an eFn wife/backrest. Trip #1 sounds kick ass!!
eFnJustRide, absolutely bring your wife along with you. My lady friend Rena often rides along with me on my European tours.

The only extra money for your wife is the airfare, her meals and any souvenirs she may buy. Each person pays his own way, I just like riding along with my moto riding friends!

When I bring a lady with me to the Alps. I rent a black 2004 BMW R1150RT Stefan has, exactly the same as 2005 BMW R1150RT "Ingrid" I own here in Arizona. He also has a yellow 2006 BMW R1200GS, that is perfect for hauling ass through the twisties of the Alps. Both of these bikes have top boxes!

This is interesting.
Mrs Jager and I are in the planning stages of a summer 2010 tour through the Alps, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Does Stefan offer tours? The website doesn't indicate.

Maybe we'll need to go back in 2011!
https://www.whitehorsepress.com/product_inf...roducts_id=5684 Buy this book and you will be set to go for your Alps trip. There are outstanding organized tours put on by my friends Werner und Coral Wachter, the owners of Edelweiss Bike Travel.

https://www.edelweissbike.com/OUT/RIDE.pdf If you like Rider Magazine and Moto-Journalist Clement Salvadori; Clem's leading a tour of Castles and Museums in October 2010. Behind the scenes at Porsche Museum and Others!

https://www.edelweissbike.com The Wachter's have certain tours on their itinerary that I can't do by myself any cheaper, so I will go with Edelweiss; instead of running my own trip. Two of these are: 1) High Alpine Tour and 2) Andalucia Tour, fantastic ride through Southern Spain. The Alps and Lakes Tour is also incredible economical bargain. Highly recommended!!!

Here are my two cents: Use Stefan's airport shuttle, he will then pick you up directly from the Frankfurt Rhein Main Flughafen gate and take you to his Bed and Breakfast; you will not have to contend with those two train transfers.

Take advantage of the one day tour of the Neckar Valley that he personally leads. He will ride with you through Old Heidelberg showing you the very best sights such as Heidelberg Castle. He will also take you through the famous Zweirad Museum. https://www.zweirad-museum.de Stefan will charge $220 for the two of you, but one half of this are entry fees to the exhibits.

Let Stefan lay out a twisty Alps routing for a week for you. He knows all the best Gasthausen and he can book lodgings ahead for you!

Benny Hill was 35 years ago, all those hot chicks are old and grey now......
R

id still hit it,long as they wear the thigh highs.
djbill, I'm with you mi Amigo; tell wanker R to go sod off! If they wear their thigh highs to bed with me, I would still "hit it" with Marianne Faithful and Dusty Springfield; I am still in love with those Brit Birds from the sixties! Damn, I'd still hit it with Cher!!!