FJR gone... new Versys here...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azitlies

Reaction score
Sure do miss the power, and it's only been 1 day!! hahahahah

Oh well, pretty sure I'll be happy with it... this isn't mine (need to take pics) but it looks identical to this one:

2011.jpg

The big reasons for me doing this:

1) I'm not really a long distance rider. I'm more of a ride and stop rider. I like the views and that sort of thing. Most of my riding is just around town.

2) For me, the fjr is just so heavy, it's hard to move around. The Versys is approx 200 lbs lighter. I'm a lot less afraid of finding the "tipping point".

3) The wheel base is quite a bit shorter on the Versys. It's actually less than 56". The fjr is about 61. That's a big difference if you're talking about slow tight turns (which I do in the MSF ERC classes). Also the clearance on the V is 7" and the Feej is 5".

4) gas mileage on the 650cc parallel twin Versys is almost 60 mpg! as reported by some on their forum. Will wait and see on that of course but riding conservatively could result in that... pretty cool!

So I've got no knocks on the FJR, it's a great bike. I'm sure I'll miss the ability to zip around traffic quickly. There's more shifting and wringing it out will be needed with the Versys in some situations. But it could help me to slow down also... which shouldn't be too bad ;)

Hope y'all won't mind my hanging out here, yer a great group. And if anyone has any questions about the V just ask away.

Cheers! Happy Motorcycling :)

Yeah, good luck with that slowing down. :lol: Petey's on a Versus now...and I'm still trying to catch up to his ass from last October's Hooterville ride.

It ain't the bike...it's the rider.

Have great fun on that bike....looks like a fun one.

Yeah, good luck with that slowing down. :lol: Petey's on a Versus now...and I'm still trying to catch up to his ass from last October's Hooterville ride.

It ain't the bike...it's the rider.

Have great fun on that bike....looks like a fun one.
hahaha thanks for that Wheaton :)

Nice bike! Enjoy.
Thanks skibum ;) much appreciated.

Wish I could have 2 or 3 bikes, than of course the feej would still be with me... alas.

a track bike

a sport touring bike

an around town bike

hell, I'd even throw in a scooter too! hahaha man 90 miles per gallon? sheeesus that's unreal...

Wish I could have 2 or 3 bikes, than of course the feej would still be with me... alas.

a track bike

a sport touring bike

an around town bike

hell, I'd even throw in a scooter too! hahaha man 90 miles per gallon? sheeesus that's unreal...
I think I need at least 4 bikes to cover the bases:

- a track bike for play days at Mosport & Calabogie

- a sport touring bike. My FJR fits the bill nicely thank you.

- a dirt bike for running around in the forest. My WR450F works quite well in that role.

- an Adventure bike for that call to the wild. Is there a Super 10 in my future??

a track bike

a sport touring bike

an around town bike

- a dirt bike for running around in the forest. My WR450F works quite well in that role.

- an Adventure bike for that call to the wild. Is there a Super 10 BMW GS1200 Adventure in my future??
Fixed.

Dood, the Verseys are nice. If the FJR isn't for you, its not for you. What anyone else thinks is irrelevant so long as your happy.

A couple have a Versys around here, and they love them. I'll agree with Wheaties that although it may take longer to get there, that little bike will move out pretty well.

Be safe, have fun, and stick around.

Hell, if I was rich instead of goofy-looking, I would own the following:

My FJR.

A BMW F800GS

A BMW K1300S (just cuz im lusting for one)

And a sportbike...Maybe a GSXR750...for the track.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey thanks everyone, that's one thing about this group, pretty open minded. Guess that's one of the good things about being a motorcyclist, not exactly the "uptight" kind of crowd...

On the other hand... we do have at least one person here who seems to have a corner on the sheep market... :dribble:

now THAT worries me...

Sure do miss the power, and it's only been 1 day!! hahahahah

Oh well, pretty sure I'll be happy with it... this isn't mine (need to take pics) but it looks identical to this one:

2011.jpg

The big reasons for me doing this:

1) I'm not really a long distance rider. I'm more of a ride and stop rider. I like the views and that sort of thing. Most of my riding is just around town.

2) For me, the fjr is just so heavy, it's hard to move around. The Versys is approx 200 lbs lighter. I'm a lot less afraid of finding the "tipping point".

3) The wheel base is quite a bit shorter on the Versys. It's actually less than 56". The fjr is about 61. That's a big difference if you're talking about slow tight turns (which I do in the MSF ERC classes). Also the clearance on the V is 7" and the Feej is 5".

4) gas mileage on the 650cc parallel twin Versys is almost 60 mpg! as reported by some on their forum. Will wait and see on that of course but riding conservatively could result in that... pretty cool!

So I've got no knocks on the FJR, it's a great bike. I'm sure I'll miss the ability to zip around traffic quickly. There's more shifting and wringing it out will be needed with the Versys in some situations. But it could help me to slow down also... which shouldn't be too bad ;)

Hope y'all won't mind my hanging out here, yer a great group. And if anyone has any questions about the V just ask away.

Cheers! Happy Motorcycling :)
Congrats on your new Versys.

I owned a 2008 Versys, it was the "Gen I" version, and as you probably know Motorcyclist magazine declared it MOTY in 2008.

I heavily farkled this bike up in my attempt to make it a fairly competent light sport/adventure touring mount.

It worked good, and I rode it 14 k miles in about 16 months all over the twisty and scenic roads of southern Utah. Here's a pic:

0827081141a.jpg

But, I needed something a little more capable of gobbling up the distances of the vast "big empty" that is much of the southwest, especially eastern NV, Idaho and southern UT.

The FJR accomplishes this with aplomb, and after 23k miles in 18 months, I'm happy.

But.........................I miss my Versys. It was light, and it was "way fun" in the real tight twisties, and it was a much better mount while running errands around town, and it was easier on the occasional and mostly unavoidable gravel roads that life "throws" at us in this area, and it got WAY better mileage!

I wish I could afford to have both!

Congrats on your new ride, you're going to love it!!

Congrats on the new ride! After looking the Versys over at the last CW bike show, I gotta say it looks (and feels) like a fun ride.

Have a blast! :)

--G

- an Adventure bike for that call to the wild. Is there a Super 10 BMW GS1200 Adventure in my future??
Fixed.
No chance for the BMW as long as the current local Beemer dealer is around. I have an excellent Yamaha / Suzuki dealer just up the road from me. I would probably go with the 990 KTM Adventure before the Beemer mostly due to the 21" front wheel plus the local KTM shop is also decent. The local BMW shop, not so much.

wow Bob your versys looks like it would have been set up nicely :) very nice.

since I'm pretty much doing 90 percent around town type stuff, I'm pretty sure it's going to work out nicely.

Certainly wish I could have multiple bikes like so many others do too. The feej would still be here for sure.

Thanks again everyone, it's interesting to hear what others think about this.

Cheers!

Congrats on the new Versys, I'm thinking about opting for one next fall on an Edelweiss Pyrenees Extreme Tour. Remember, It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than to ride a fast bike slow. BUT.... It's a LOT more fun to ride a fast bike fast! :yahoo:

Congrats on the new Versys, I'm thinking about opting for one next fall on an Edelweiss Pyrenees Extreme Tour. Remember, It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast, than to ride a fast bike slow. BUT.... It's a LOT more fun to ride a fast bike fast! :yahoo:
Hence the name "racer" eh? hahaha

yeah I'm with ya there, if I could afford it, I'd have a track bike and be doing track days often. That's just not happening at my age though, bones don't heal so quickly ;)

Just got back from a ride and there's little doubt, I'm going on roads that I'd have been afraid of on the Feej. It's so much lighter and easier to turn around. Need to send the seat to Spencer it's way too tall, but even still it's so nimble there's no fear about getting stuck. Sure that's an individual thing but hey, I'm short and old! I don't think I could have ever manhandled the feej at any age.

It is fast enough I'd say. Can still zip around cars and such, no issues. Just have to shift a bit more. It's not as good a quality bike as the feej. I mean it's okay, but it doesn't have all the features etc.

Not to turn this into an ABS thread but... I've no issues with it not having it. My experience with ABS is that it kicks in sooner then it should.

I'd post up a picture but for some reason my camera is making the dark maroon color too red, it doesn't look right at all. But I'm quite happy with the bike, the ability to just buzz around town with ease is awesome :)

thanks everyone :)