FJR gone... new Versys here...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dood, the Verseys are nice. If the FJR isn't for you, its not for you. What anyone else thinks is irrelevant so long as your happy.

A couple have a Versys around here, and they love them. I'll agree with Wheaties that although it may take longer to get there, that little bike will move out pretty well.

Be safe, have fun, and stick around.

Hell, if I was rich instead of goofy-looking, I would own the following:

My FJR.

A BMW F800GS

A BMW K1300S (just cuz im lusting for one)

And a sportbike...Maybe a GSXR750...for the track.
Hmmmmmmmm...One of you guys is a real funny fukr. Remember, I know where to find you. :fuck:

Dood, the Verseys are nice. If the FJR isn't for you, its not for you. What anyone else thinks is irrelevant so long as your happy.

A couple have a Versys around here, and they love them. I'll agree with Wheaties that although it may take longer to get there, that little bike will move out pretty well.

Be safe, have fun, and stick around.

Hell, if I was rich instead of goofy-looking, I would own the following:

My FJR.

A BMW F800GS

A BMW K1300S (just cuz im lusting for one)

And a sportbike...Maybe a GSXR750...for the track.
Hmmmmmmmm...One of you guys is a real funny fukr. Remember, I know where to find you. :fuck:
Hugs and kisses

I think I need at least 4 bikes to cover the bases:

- a track bike for play days at Mosport & Calabogie

- a sport touring bike. My FJR fits the bill nicely thank you.

- a dirt bike for running around in the forest. My WR450F works quite well in that role.

- an Adventure bike for that call to the wild. Is there a Super 10 BMW GS1200 Adventure in my future??
Fixed.
No chance for the BMW as long as the current local Beemer dealer is around. I have an excellent Yamaha / Suzuki dealer just up the road from me. I would probably go with the 990 KTM Adventure before the Beemer mostly due to the 21" front wheel plus the local KTM shop is also decent. The local BMW shop, not so much.
IMO the BMW has very poor off pavement manners. WTF puts a 19 in wheel on a dirt bike? IJUTS. Have seen some people do some amazing things on the "pigs" but not for me. Take my KTM 690 any day over the 1200 GS's

Back to our regulary scheduled programming

I think I need at least 4 bikes to cover the bases:

- a track bike for play days at Mosport & Calabogie

- a sport touring bike. My FJR fits the bill nicely thank you.

- a dirt bike for running around in the forest. My WR450F works quite well in that role.

- an Adventure bike for that call to the wild. Is there a Super 10 BMW GS1200 Adventure in my future??
Fixed.
No chance for the BMW as long as the current local Beemer dealer is around. I have an excellent Yamaha / Suzuki dealer just up the road from me. I would probably go with the 990 KTM Adventure before the Beemer mostly due to the 21" front wheel plus the local KTM shop is also decent. The local BMW shop, not so much.
IMO the BMW has very poor off pavement manners. WTF puts a 19 in wheel on a dirt bike? IJUTS. Have seen some people do some amazing things on the "pigs" but not for me. Take my KTM 690 any day over the 1200 GS's

Yeah I hear you Guys Loud and Clear, I am just going to have to inform my old BMW GS and myself of this FACT one of these days!

P3210944.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya know... I'm not feeling any Versys love anymore... what's happened to my thread?

and second... how do we even know if Zilla has a nut sack? Has anyone seen it? I know I'm not looking... but maybe someone else has?

just sayin... :blink:

Ya know... I'm not feeling any Versys love anymore... what's happened to my thread?

and second... how do we even know if Zilla has nut sacks? Has anyone seen it them? I know I'm not looking... but maybe someone else has?

GalaxyBlue, Old Michael, Beemerdons, Bokerfork and Petey can confirm this, they were on full display at both SW-FOG 2010 and 2011 in Toas, NM! RadioHowie has an 8x10 color photo of them!

What's the difference between the early Versys and newer models? :unsure:

What year did the changes occur?

Yeah I hear you Guys Loud and Clear, I am just going to have to inform my old BMW GS and myself of this FACT one of these days!

P3210944.jpg
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Those that talk smack about the GS's capabilities do so from no experience. I have seen guys on those big bikes rail on those things in some crazy off-road stuff.

What the KTM guys don't realize is that the power to weight ratio for the big GS and their KTM is identical. Twice the weight, but twice the horse power. Better suspension and great ergonomics make the GS a hard bike to beat.

I just got back from a trip to Big Bend Natl. Park in TX. We rode 220 miles of dirt in 2 days. There were 3 GS1200s, 1 GS800, and me on a WR250R. I couldn't keep up with two of the 1200s because they hauled total ass. They're big bikes that are totally capable with a little skill that lots of "dirt" riders lack, but try to make up with their 'special' bikes.

The 1200 riders freely admit that the 19" front wheel makes sand harder to deal with, but its nothing skill can't overcome.

and second... how do we even know if Zilla has nut sacks? Has anyone seen it them? I know I'm not looking... but maybe someone else has?

GalaxyBlue, Old Michael, Beemerdons, Bokerfork and Petey can confirm this, they were on full display at both SW-FOG 2010 and 2011 in Toas, NM! RadioHowie has an 8x10 color photo of them!
ohhhhhhh myyyyyyyyy gawwwwwwwwwwwd !!!!!!

be afraid... be verrrrrrrry afraid :p

Hey zzzzip, think they changed in 2010 (positive of that after looking at some pics).

afaik, mostly cosmetic stuff, modified headlight, don't think there's too much more but not positive. Now the new 2012 Wee Strom does have some changes more so than cosmetic. But since we're talking Versys I won't go into those.

Can say I'm quite happy with the Versys so far. Just installed Givi crash bars and they look pretty cool. Have the hyper lites installed and the extenda fenda. Still working on the Stebel air horn. My seat will be back from Spencer this Wed. Wooohooo! haha.

Still on the list is a Vista Cruise and HID headlight. I'm going to forego the headlight modulator on this bike and just use HID, and weave back and forth if needed.

It's fun stuff, time consuming if you do it all yerself though. Those Givi's weren't too much fun !! alas :)

This is what I settled on:

#1 - The FJR for longer distances and more comfort but still with serious rippin' potential

#2 - The FZ1 - something in between for the twisties and for rapid-acceleration commuting, yet still big enough for a couple of hundred miles

#3 - a YZF600R - for my son and for fun - light and easy to flick around

Still to come - considering a Versys, a F800GS, or maybe even a DRZ400 if the wife will allow it (got to 3 in the garage without a divorce, so why stop now?)

IMG_5111%2520%2528640x427%2529.jpg

Hey zzzzip, think they changed in 2010 (positive of that after looking at some pics).

afaik, mostly cosmetic stuff, modified headlight, don't think there's too much more but not positive. Now the new 2012 Wee Strom does have some changes more so than cosmetic. But since we're talking Versys I won't go into those.

Can say I'm quite happy with the Versys so far. Just installed Givi crash bars and they look pretty cool. Have the hyper lites installed and the extenda fenda. Still working on the Stebel air horn. My seat will be back from Spencer this Wed. Wooohooo! haha.

Still on the list is a Vista Cruise and HID headlight. I'm going to forego the headlight modulator on this bike and just use HID, and weave back and forth if needed.

It's fun stuff, time consuming if you do it all yerself though. Those Givi's weren't too much fun !! alas :)
Thanks for the info.

I am still hot to get the 2012 Wee to go with my '07 Vee, but since the Kaw dealer has a left over '09 Verseys, I'm thinking I should cast my net further. I might be pushed off the fence to another brand.

As long as the wife won't ride anything but the FJR, and I like the Vee too, I can't justify looking for another ride. Of course, if the price was too good to pass up..... :blink:

A little while back, R&S West, one of the R&S PowerSports dealers here in Albuquerque was nearly giving unsold Versys away for $5k.

I swear I almost bought one.

A little while back, R&S West, one of the R&S PowerSports dealers here in Albuquerque was nearly giving unsold Versys away for $5k.

Yeah, this place said they would go $5300 a couple of months ago (down from $5800 all summer), so I expect $5000 in cash would get the bike. I'd have to get it for less to sleep good at night. After all it will be a 3 year old bike as soon as it hits the street. :p

Yeah, this place said they would go $5300 a couple of months ago (down from $5800 all summer), so I expect $5000 in cash would get the bike. I'd have to get it for less to sleep good at night. After all it will be a 3 year old bike as soon as it hits the street. :p
YES! you are correct, I was going to mention that but glad you've already seen it. 5K, brand new, awesome deal imho. One thing you may not have noticed, but the Versys is about a 56" wheelbase, while the Wee Strom is about 61". Comes out to a 5.5" diff.

That's a pretty big difference in feel. The Versys is going to be nimble and quick, that's for sure. Good luck with it, wish I could have multiple bikes but sometimes ya gotta go with what you need most.

Latest posts