FJR heading for the Barber Museum

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Morrow

Reaction score
Early last year I started a thread about what to do with an older high mileage FJR. Specifically, my 2003 with 305,000 Km's ( about 190,000 miles.) on the odo.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/173756-what-to-do-with-a-high-mileage-2003-fjr/page-3

Since that was so long ago, I thought that I'd start a new thread. I'm getting the bike ready and will be heading south to the Barber Museum in Alabama to turn over the bike. Hoping to leave on Wednesday, May 1 before the weather turns sour here in Vancouver.

I have two possible routes - a direct, diagonal route and a southern route which will get a bit warmer faster. My girlfriend will be at home and giving me weather updates. I'll have my Spot so if you're interested in a progress report, you can find me here : https://spotwalla.com/publicTrips.php?un=David+M

Nice gesture, sir, and an FJR with 190,000 miles before you start riding to Alabama, is a great representative of the marque. Congratulations, and thank you!

Ride safely. (You won't have to worry about warmth once you get south of Nebraska.)

That's fantastic! I hope to see the bike there some day. I made 2 trips to the Barber Museum on my FJR from Pittsburgh. I believe every motorcyclist needs to see that place at least once. That's very thoughtful of you sir.

Spot not working yet?

If you are coming across on I-90 at the SD/WY border give me a shout.

I have a bed and a steak with your name on it.

Snowing here today but the weekend looks good!

As of 9:30 Eastern this Monday morning, Spotwalla shows Mr Morrow on US 59 crossing the OK/AR state line.

He started Wednesday, May 1 around noon Eastern. I believe he's avoided Interstate highways once he got south of Bellingham, WA.

Click here to see the trip trace.

Spousal Unit and I plan on attending Vintage Days in early October. Hope to see your bike. Barber displays some bikes just as they were received; no cleaning or maintaining done. I suspect yours will be a candidate for that sort of display. They have thousands of bikes in storage at remote sites, so one cannot know when a specific bike will be on the museum floor.

John Ryan discussed having the FJR he rode from Deadhorse to Key West displayed at Barber. Unfortunately, John died before it happened.

I could make it in under a month...... it is mostly downhill going. Coming home would probably require an engine rebuild or two. There is a Ural Rally in Custer later this month. Watch out for trailers.

Well, I made it . Most days were over 500 miles and the final day’s sprint was 675 miles.

I dropped the bike off this morning to Brian Slark. I would never believe that a person could become emotionally attached to a piece of machinery but I think I shed a tear as I walked away from the bike. They got all of my riding gear, GPS, Spot beacon, tank and tail bags. It will be a time capsule. They will drain the fluids and presumably spray some oil into the cylinders . Brian does not know when it will go on display but current thinking is to put some high mileage bikes together to form a “Million Mile” group. I will post a couple of pics here when I get home.

Here are a couple of pic's of the handoff of the FJR to Brian Slark at the Barber Museum in Birmingham and it's first look inside the bowels of the facility. ( Maybe the mod's can rotate that bottom pic; I can't figure out how . )

fjr-barber-01.JPG

fjr-barber-02.JPG

fjr-barber-03.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are 3 tests.

Test 1 is your photo above, saved locally and uploaded to my web site. It's the same as above so your photo program has it jacked up.

test3.jpg

Test 2 is just the photo above, saved as above, opened in Photoshop and saved again (no other changes) and hosted on my site.

test1.jpg

Test 3 is the same photo as the first, rotated 90º clockwise, saved from Photoshop and, again, hosted from my web site.

test2.jpg

So, if you still have problems, then get on a real computer and do something with it before uploading to your host again.

Last edited by a moderator: