FJR Lite w/6-speed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 213

FJR DarkSider #1
Reaction score
So, you always wanted a 6-speed? Really feel the FJR is great, but would be even better if it was lighter? Still feel that chain drive is the best way to transfer power? But you do want all that great storage space and some decent fairing protection?

You can't buy it in the US, but Yamaha has been thinking of you!

Enjoy!

CLICK ME

Last edited by a moderator:
Two different places the site says....

* Fuel economy estimates are based on US EPA exhaust emission certification data obtained by Yamaha and converted into Canadian measurements. Your actual mileage will vary depending on road condition, how you ride, maintain your vehicle, accessories, cargo and operator/passenger weight.

but nowhere does the site say what the fuel mileage estimates are. !?!?!?

Can I have one of those too? :rolleyes: In Black Cherry please
Paint is cheap enough! :) As I understand, some of these are languishing in Canadian dealer showrooms and can be had for well under MSRP. I have no idea if it's possible to import them to the US though. You could order the parts and add them to a US FZ-1 though, that's easy, if not cheap, (unless you have the bike already!)

2009_FZ1TE_Blue_4.jpg

Now there's a photo for Slappy to put on the banner and confuse the shit outta everybody. :p

Been spoken much about here previosly(clicky)

and for me nothing has changed: I REALLY LIKE IT!! I'd love to have one.

**Also, note the important role it plays in the Yamaha line up .....with MamaYama putting more pounds on the FJR every year, you essentially have three choices when it comes to sport touring:

From Lightest to heaviest:

FZ1 TE

Gen1 FJR

Gen2 FJR

Someone should graph the weight increase and give us a good visual of the variance.

For me: No way I'd go to fat Gen2, but this lighter bike sure is appealing. I looked hard at going that route about 18months ago, but with the incredible prices on Gen1's out there and my investment in FJR farkles, extra wheels etc ....it was hard to justify not going with another Gen1 purely from an economic standpoint.

**Got to admit though, when I look at the TE, I now I know know the envious feeling that the Gen2 guys feel toward the Gen1.

Two different places the site says....
* Fuel economy estimates are based on US EPA exhaust emission certification data obtained by Yamaha and converted into Canadian measurements. Your actual mileage will vary depending on road condition, how you ride, maintain your vehicle, accessories, cargo and operator/passenger weight.

but nowhere does the site say what the fuel mileage estimates are. !?!?!?
If you look at the normal FZ-1 it's listed in a blurb at the upper right of the page, 42 mpg (Imperial), which is about 35 US mpg. I thought it would be a bit higher, but they have been hyping the Sport nature of the FZ more. It is an R-1 engine, tuned a little different, after all. Lots of wannabes pimping them out trying to be like an R-1, which totally explains the current Gen styling. :bad:

The older Gen of carb'd FZ-1s got 42-46 mpg US. At least mine did, ('02). The biggest thing I noticed when riding with FJRs, (while I was a waiter), was that I rowed through the gears a lot and the FJR guys didn't bother to downshift, or only downshifted once going through small towns that dropped to 30-35 mph, then back up to 55-65.

Pretty hefty price tag even in monopoly money.
Hey, pal, our monopoly money is at par with the Yankee buck and it will go higher. And we ain't up to our eyeballs in debt.

But there's no question we get gouged for motorcycle gear and a lot of other stuff besides.

...As I understand, some of these are languishing in Canadian dealer showrooms and can be had for well under MSRP. ...
Really not that bad when you consider the FJR will cost you over $21K OTD in Canadian Grembocks.
Holy crap!! $21K?You guys are getting hosed, but it is an excellent bike.
Strange thing MSRP in this country. It seems that street price is always 20% to 25% less than MSRP. And that's before negotiating. I bought my bike at ~70% MSRP. Of Course even at that I think I'd have been better of buying south of the border.

...**Got to admit though, when I look at the TE, I now I know know the envious feeling that the Gen2 guys feel toward the Gen1.
:rofl:

Just keep it a 1300, get rid of that chain and keep the FJR logo.

Then I'll be all over it!

Hey, pal, our monopoly money is at par with the Yankee buck and it will go higher. And we ain't up to our eyeballs in debt.

But there's no question we get gouged for motorcycle gear and a lot of other stuff besides.
Mebe youse folks ain't so Loonie after all?

;)

That's an awesome looking bike... Might be excellent for the missus. That is if I can convince her to hop back on a bike. She hasn't ridden for quite a few years.

Frankly, I wouldn't mind taking it for a test ride as well. Love my new FJR but she is a bit hefty. (sshhh... don't tell her I said that....)

Edit: looks like the 2010 FZ1 accessories page on yahama's usa site has some of the accessories shown... lower fairing and cowl and touring windshield. Dont see the side bags though...

Frankly, I wouldn't mind taking it for a test ride as well. Love my new FJR but she is a bit hefty. (sshhh... don't tell her I said that....)
Go ride an 04 or 05 FJR first. Could be had for less than half the price of a TE. Plus, you'd have everything you already love about an FJR....without the added "heft".

Go ride an 04 or 05 FJR first. Could be had for less than half the price of a TE. Plus, you'd have everything you already love about an FJR....without the added "heft".

If I get that chance I certainly will. However, I truly do love my 08... it's the transition from the VTX to the FJR that I'm still getting used to. I can't flat foot the FJR and backing her up into a parking spot or out of the garage necessitates walking on tiptoe. That's the ONLY time that I feel her "heft". Okay, and the first time I put her up on her center stand I was a bit surprised too. Hopefully I wont ever have to pick her up after a drop... (knock on wood).

Agreed. I went to school at SUNY Buffalo and use to go to the beer distributor shop in Ft Erie (near the Peace Bridge) and into Toronto all the time. Back then the exchange rate was something like 28 - 30% - nowhere near that now.

I just could never get used to all of the colors on the bills.

You got a team left in the playoffs?

Those bags sure do look "tacked on" and don't fit the style at all, especially with that ugly-ass muffler can. You can tell they raided the spare parts bin. And chain? No thanks...