FJR mechanic recommendation, Twin Cities, MN

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevet

Reaction score
Been a long time since I've been around... I hope everyone is doing well.

My 2010 FJR is at that 26,000 point. Valve check and other stuff is due. I'm not so mechanically savvy to take on such work myself, I need a pro.

I'm fairly centralized in the Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota area, more or less equal distant to the 4 inner-metro Yamaha dealers (2 remaining Hitching Post shops, Heinen's, Tousley). Hitching Post closed their nearest-to-me shop in Fridley a few years ago, sorta leaving me in a no-man's-land for convenient professional service

Therefore, can any of you locals offer your experience in good mechanical service from any of the local dealers (these, or others), or from any of the independent repair shops in the area?

Thanks,

Steve.

Century Powersports in Stillwater. Haven't had anything done there myself, but a friend of mine puts a lot of trust in them.

I've had my valves checked early on twice by seperate shops, both were independant mechanics who were highly recommended and both times they screwed the pooch. Eventually with the help of a member here, I learned to check them myself. The first time by yourself though can be a little nerve wracking. But I think I would consider Century.

You do know dontcha that you kinda missed the boat last weekend. It kinda helps to go out and get to know some of the folks who are members here.

Good luck with your search for a shop though. There are some good ones out there.

Empire Cycle in Loretto has 3 or 4 techs and their labor rate is $80. One of their techs is Yamaha trained. I've bought a couple of tires from them (good prices and mount/balance is only $20 when you bring them the wheel) but haven't needed any wrench turning on my bike. I really like working with independent shops so if the need were to arise, I would give them the business.

I like Tripper Mike's Garage.

It's kinda independent, on the North side of town, serves great treats, and always fixes whatever got broken.

Great guy to work with !!!
punk.gif

Hahaha....yeah but the regulars who frequent Tripper Mike's are a rough and very seedy looking bunch. But truthfully Stevet, you just missed an excellent tech day in Nowthen a week ago and a valve check was done there as well. Something to look for next year maybe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Motorsports Plus in South St Paul. Excellent mechanic, fair & doesn't overcharge.

Owners name is Jeff, 651-455-5657

Tiger_993 shared that Empire Motorcycle shop in Loretto is a good place. I followed his recommendation and went there for a new rear tire. Good prices and the shop is clean! Guy I spoke to shared that he is a Yamaha trained mechanic. I have also had good work done at Moons Motors in Monticello right off of 94. We did a valve check on my bike at tech day in Nowthen. I said "we," but it was all Mike! It indeed is a big job and I was grateful that I needed no adjustment at 44,000 miles.

Good luck