FJR Mileage Milestones

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2020 came in with a double whammie !! I put a quick 11,000 on the Gen 3 and 14,000 on Ole Grey and then ALL HELL broke loose !! I was T boned by a deer on the left side, I didn't go down, but the impact was so hard it boke my tibia at the knee and snapped the foot peg off the bike !!  They just put a brace on it to let it heal naturally and put me in a re-hab center for awhile. I'm home now getting my knee back in shape and Ole Grey is in the shop waiting for a few parts and we both hope to be on the road early next year if not before. P.S. Scooter, Ole Grey has 471,000 miles on it now. 

What a hard hit... Glad you and Ole Grey are *relatively* OK! 471k. Wow. 

Here's a pic of KrZy8's deer strike.

5.JPG

2020 came in with a double whammie !! I put a quick 11,000 on the Gen 3 and 14,000 on Ole Grey and then ALL HELL broke loose !! I was T boned by a deer on the left side, I didn't go down, but the impact was so hard it boke my tibia at the knee and snapped the foot peg off the bike !!  They just put a brace on it to let it heal naturally and put me in a re-hab center for awhile. I'm home now getting my knee back in shape and Ole Grey is in the shop waiting for a few parts and we both hope to be on the road early next year if not before. P.S. Scooter, Ole Grey has 471,000 miles on it now. 
Sorry to hear but thanks for the update

I will be cheering you on from California.  You are extremely tough and durable.

Heal quick and well and please keep us updated.  You are in our thoughts...

F'n deer.   471 on one bike? 

Too bad scooter couldn't do that. 😛

Well I hit this mark on my ‘08 today. Needless to say that my ‘08 is up and running again. I have about 42k to go to match my ‘05’s output. Meanwhile my ‘18 is collecting dust and my ‘09 may go up for sale shortly.

View attachment 154
Congratulations on your record setting mileage last year.!!!!! Do you plan to do this or more every year since you've retired?

Well I hit this mark on my ‘08 today. Needless to say that my ‘08 is up and running again. I have about 42k to go to match my ‘05’s output. Meanwhile my ‘18 is collecting dust and my ‘09 may go up for sale shortly.

View attachment 154
Just curious, is that 220.005 with no engine issues other than perhaps valve shims?  The FJR engine is an amazing work horse. 

Congratulations on your record setting mileage last year.!!!!! Do you plan to do this or more every year since you've retired?
I have not retired yet. I road the 124k while working full time. Most of the riding were BBGs (1500 miles in 24 hours) at least 1 every weekend. I can say that much of it was riding to be riding. When I retire, I would like to enjoy more backroads and stop a little more often.😌

Just curious, is that 220.005 with no engine issues other than perhaps valve shims?  The FJR engine is an amazing work horse. 
I had cooling issues last year and because of the type of ride that I was attempting I didn’t have time to sort it out. Taken care of now (Cracked reservoir, broken water pump return piece, and leaking thermostat seal) As far as valve checks? I am a bit overdue on my 2nd check... I’ve had only 1. That’s what I love about the FJRs. Ride them hard and take care of the basics.

I am a bit overdue on my 2nd check... I’ve had only 1.
That might be pushing your luck a bit!  Please let us know the results when (if) you do a second valve check.  I would be very interested in how far is is off after that many miles.  (And the fact that you are still getting acceptable performance).  Seems to me that few FJRs need valve adjustment until at least the second check at something over 50,000 miles but most are below spec (on one or more intake valves) by 100,000 miles or so.

🤪😜 As of now I'm back but taking it easy, staying out of the hills, hoping to avoid the horned animals. 03' still waiting for some fairing parts. I've done 6K since the 2nd, The Gray Ghost, alias the Lone Ranger rides again.😆
That is fantastic!

You are extremely tough.

Many thanks for sharing the details with us.  I love following you from the sidelines.

After 9 years I finally hit the 100K mark.  Still going strong. 2007 FJR bought in 2011 with 8k on the odometer.

Congrats! I remember that day on my07 that I bought new in the fall of 07.  I just rolled over 145,000 on it on my last ride on it because a week later I bought a new 2020 ES. I really had second thoughts because the 07 still runs great, but the 2020 upgrades were too tempting. 

I would normally have had much more miles on the 07 by now, but I retired 2 years ago and my riding has drastically been reduced due to international travel, selling and buying a house and COVID. The new bike is getting me excited about riding more.

🤪😜 As of now I'm back but taking it easy, staying out of the hills, hoping to avoid the horned animals. 03' still waiting for some fairing parts. I've done 6K since the 2nd, The Gray Ghost, alias the Lone Ranger rides again.😆
Hey Gray Ghost!

Any update in this new year.  Hope you are riding and doing well in 2021.  Sending good thoughts from Los Angeles and hope you are continuing to add to your FJR mileage total.

SkooterG is NEVER going to catch up to you!!

Doug, I lost 4 months of Prime Time riding last year but still put over 30,000 miles on my FJR's.😁 Ole Grey is still in the shop waiting for front L&R panels etc. to be put on. If I have a good year in 2021 I will have accomplished 2 major goals. You know the first, I'm sure but the 2nd one has to do with my other 6 bikes I have owned before the FJR's. any guesses to what that goal is? NOW, HANG ON TO YOUR HELMETS, I HAVE RODE IN 4 OTHER STATES TO DATE !!! HOW ABOUT THOSE APPLES??????😂🤩

Thank you for the update.  Glad to hear that you are doing well. Good luck with visiting other states.

When I participated in the Iron Butt Rally, I rode my FJR to all 48 states over 11 days.  It was one of the highlights of my life.

SkooterG is just hanging around Phoenix and driving his Prius while running into criminals....