FJR Model Comparison Matrix

Help Support FJRForum:

sparky80

Members+
Reaction score
Can you label the colors as Yamaha has them? For instance, the 2007 is Very Dark Red Metallic #2, not black cherry. Those two words are never found in any Yamaha literature for that color.
The 2008, 2009 and 2017 are all the same black metallic X, but even the spreadsheet has them listed as different colors, though they are identical.

Ignacio

Intramural Culture Warrior
Staff member
Reaction score
Can you label the colors as Yamaha has them? For instance, the 2007 is Very Dark Red Metallic #2, not black cherry. Those two words are never found in any Yamaha literature for that color.
The 2008, 2009 and 2017 are all the same black metallic X, but even the spreadsheet has them listed as different colors, though they are identical.
Can you provide a source for those color names in some sort of literature? I recall taking those names from the Yamaha website in those years they were up, but would surely correct if I got them wrong. Thx.

sparky80

Members+
Reaction score
Can you provide a source for those color names in some sort of literature? I recall taking those names from the Yamaha website in those years they were up, but would surely correct if I got them wrong. Thx.
From Yamaha...
Directly from their catalog, I looked up the front fender for the 2007 FJR. it lists it as FENDER, FRONT | VDRM2. The last part is the color... Very Dark Red Metallic 2.

I guess more than anything it's just a pet peeve of mine that people (not you) will call whatever color they want simply because they want to. Also, since when did YAMAHA call any of the FJR's different generations? I haven't looked much, but don't see where they did.

Bounce

Chicks Dig Scars
Staff member
Reaction score
The owners (Us here specifically) started identifying the different model changes and the significant milestone updates became "generational divides" to better talk about the bike.

Color Rite called their R1 red "Candy Red Metallic" but Yamaha doesn't. Why? For the same reason different grey cars from different makers have their own "hoity toity" name like "Nardo" which does nothing but allow them to TM the name (so others are forced to use variations).

Anything that helps people communicate more clearly is a good thing. Yes?

Ignacio

Intramural Culture Warrior
Staff member
Reaction score
From Yamaha...
Directly from their catalog, I looked up the front fender for the 2007 FJR. it lists it as FENDER, FRONT | VDRM2. The last part is the color... Very Dark Red Metallic 2.

I guess more than anything it's just a pet peeve of mine that people (not you) will call whatever color they want simply because they want to.
Since 2006 I've actually lifted the exact words that Yamaha has called the FJR color from their front-facing promotional website.....including the "Raven Black". The VDRM2 is an interesting catch and I'll add it for 2007 in parentheses on my next release of the matrix. Thx.