FJR off road excursion

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlson_mn

Reaction score
Well not especially proud to share this but it is entertaining. It's my first time leaving the road ever actually in about 90k miles, not that I haven't made mistakes and gone a bit wide before.

I had been leading this ride and said I'd get some video footage of the guys with me on a CBR1000RR and S1000RR. I had been creeping on them in the ride because you have to be REALLY close with a GoPro for following footage to look good. Doing that I got into a bit of target fixation on the guy in front of me instead of focusing on the line I was going to take through the corner. I was dragging a peg with a bad entrance line and I felt I was going to go wide leaned over past the apex and in Wisconsin once you get to the shoulder area there is gravel and I felt that would be an impending low-side. I decided to stand it up a bit, scrub some speed, and then get off the brakes and let the bike ride it out. It worked out alright. My line through the tightening left hander was crap but I know I could have pulled through it with a little body positioning and better instinct but we make mistakes sometimes. The guy in the middle on the CBR1000RR was his first or second time on this particular road and he actually went wide earlier, it's a road that can sneak up on you after giving you some nice twists the sight lines can go to zip on the next bend so if your riding was sloppy it can reward you with some grass.

Don't forget to select HD resolution. Please comment if you 'enjoyed'!
fool.gif
winksmiley02.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
+1!! That trip into the grass didn't seem to slow you down much. I think I would have had to pull over for awhile, and maybe change my underwear!!

Thanks!

Wow, glad you saved it, Matt. I've done the same thing, looking at the guy in front of me, and not enough at the road itself. Didn't make it all the way to the shoulder, but close enough to tighten my colon.

Love that road (County DD), but it has some very challenging corners. You must have been making a run down to Mindoro Cut Road.

Be careful, Matt. I know you're a good rider, but I'd hate to see anybody get hurt. Lots of danger out there (having experienced some of it myself).

(You didn't share this with your beautiful wife, did you?)

Great video and great save. I was really impressed how quickly you caught right back up with them after too. I agree with Price I think I'd be changing underwear (and pants for that matter).
omg2.gif

Wow!! Everyone needs to get one of those GoPros!

Then, every kid in America could have their very own "Here's How Daddy Died" video in 1080p HD!!

Nice save. Didn't slow you down either! Sounded like you were on the peg hard. Looked like the line you took into the turn didn't give you much margin. Good thing there was shoulder there for you.

Yes all good and true comments. Yep Scott that was CR DD on the way to the Cut. This event will remain unknown to the wife. They have enough ammunition to throw at us already in 'conversations' about motorcycle trips.

Matt, I crashed my Connie on D, or DD. I can't remember exactly, 'cause I was 'out of it' for 15+ minutes.

Target fixation is human nature, and that is a bitch!!! You did a great job of ridin' it OUT!
punk.gif

Great video, really got my heart racing. Wish there were roads like that around here! Congrats on keeping it together and powering on.

Thanks for sharing

Yikes! Same thing happened to me once. In my defense, it was pouring down rain and on a 180 switchback in the Ozarks, I went into the woods with about 6 inches of standing water with rocks, mud, leaves and trees that I had to dodge the whole way. I was violently fish tailing with my legs out wide like at a OB GYN appointment! By the grace of God, I somehow made it back to the asphalt without hitting the deck. I Pee'd my pants but, it was raining like hell so, no one noticed. :D

Very nice video and the roads look great. I ride in northeast Iowa a lot and wander into southwest Wisconsin often. I don't know all the good roads by name but enjoy looking for them. That was definitely a PUCKER moment, you did a good job to keep your head and save it.

Yeah Dog NE Iowa has some good roads too. WI is where it's at for the slightly more technical roads, midwest style at least.

Those of you who make it to NAFO these are the kind of roads you can ride all day. Keep an eye out for Amish on their buggies though.