FJR + short inseam + uneven pavement = oh crap...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orbitr

Reaction score
I just moved up to the 07 FJR. I've got a fairly short inseam for an average-height guy (30-31"), so I really can't flatfoot it like my prior bikes. Usually I'm on the balls of my feet. Between that and the extra 250lbs of wet weight, I'm finding myself regularly getting stuck... like rolling backwards out of a driveway and getting stuck in the gutter/depression between the driveway's slope and the road camber... or worse, pulling into a blind parking area and suddenly finding myself doing 2 mph on a sideways slope with nowhere to go, on an angle where I just don't have enough leg length to keep the bike upright. I've already dropped it once (gutter was wet; my feet just went slip-boom!) and damn near lost it this weekend on a sloped gravel parking area where my downhill foot couldn't get any traction. Luckily a friend was there to run over and hold up the bike until I could get the kickstand down.

Are there any aftermarket seats that give you a little lower ride? I haven't run across any yet. I'm learning (the hard way) what to look out for, but there are always situations where you don't realize you're going to get trapped until after you've pulled in. An inch lower and I'd have a lot more control...

I just moved up to the 07 FJR. I've got a fairly short inseam for an average-height guy (30-31"), so I really can't flatfoot it like my prior bikes. Usually I'm on the balls of my feet. Between that and the extra 250lbs of wet weight, I'm finding myself regularly getting stuck... like rolling backwards out of a driveway and getting stuck in the gutter/depression between the driveway's slope and the road camber... or worse, pulling into a blind parking area and suddenly finding myself doing 2 mph on a sideways slope with nowhere to go, on an angle where I just don't have enough leg length to keep the bike upright. I've already dropped it once (gutter was wet; my feet just went slip-boom!) and damn near lost it this weekend on a sloped gravel parking area where my downhill foot couldn't get any traction. Luckily a friend was there to run over and hold up the bike until I could get the kickstand down.
Are there any aftermarket seats that give you a little lower ride? I haven't run across any yet. I'm learning (the hard way) what to look out for, but there are always situations where you don't realize you're going to get trapped until after you've pulled in. An inch lower and I'd have a lot more control...
I rode on a ride that ToeCutter put together with a bunch of FJR riders. Corbin custom made a seat for an '04 that seemed to provide at least 1.5 to 2 inches of extra space for the rider from Monterrey. Lemme go look to see if I have a picture of that.

Any custom saddle shop will shorten a seat for you. This is a common request.

Here's a shot of everyone standing around and looking at the custom Corbin on the '04.

DSC04166.jpg

I think it was not Rudy's bike, but someone elses:

DSC04180.jpg

Notice how far down that seat goes compared to the Corbin on the '05.

This is just an example of what someone can do for you. There is a lot of room to lower the seat on the FJR.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm guessing you already have the seat in the lower position, correct? I have that problem when the seat is in the high position. I had the dealer lower the triple trees down on the fork tubes about 1/2 in. Between the two the bike is easier to handle now.

I have a 29" or maybe a 30" inseam on a good day. I wear a pair of Milwaukee boots. They have a good heavy sole and tall heel. You can get them in various heights. I wear a 3/4.

https://carolinaleatherworks.stores.yahoo.n...illeatboot.html

Much better footing and traction than tennis shoes, plus a lot more protection. Many years ago I stepped off whilst wearing a pair of tennis shoes. During the "incident" both of those shoes took a leave of absence and left me with some pretty painful foot injuries on both feet. Since then, I always wear boots that are high enough to at least cover my ankles. Plus, they give you a bit of added height.

I see that you have an '07. You can drop the front fork tubes maybe 1/4 or 3/8 inch and there are longer dogbones available for the rear suspension or you could purchase a shorter shock for the rear. However, this will change your handling if you don't get the front and rear lowered by the same amount. The net effect is a subject for some amount of discussion. Some say that it's dangerous and some that have done it say that it made little difference in handling.

Also, there are mixed reviews on the low Corbin seat. Some say that, while it is lower, it is also wider which spreads your feet and negates the gains made by the lower seat.

There are many that will have the sides of the front seat "shaved" and this seems to help.

Send an email to this guy - he has done two seats for me. They come back more comfortable than stock, and lowered. He's pretty easy to work with, and his prices are very good. Work is first rate. Certainly a whole lot cheaper than purchasing another seat.

https://www.meancitycycles.com/index.html

Good luck - and let us know how it works out for you.

Yeah the FJR is quite a handful. I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam and I still find my wife's FJR pretty awkward to handle in parking-lot situations, particularly with the winged Russell saddle she has on it now.

I think Yamaha designed this bike for tall, leggy women. My wife, with her 36" inseam, handles the thing better than I can.

I only have a 28 inseam. The Corbin puts you down an inch. Get an aftermarket shock and you can lower the bike at least another 1/2 inch. Then to keep the factory geometry, raise the forks the same amount. Just remember the closer the bike gets to the ground, the more hard parts you can drag when hard over in a corner.

The seat will make a considerable improvement. Puts you down in the bike, too. But it's definitely not a comfort seat like one of the customs. And it could be narrower in the thighs.

:blink: Hello Orbitr,

I feel your pain. I'm barely 5' 6" and have a 30" inseam.

Yes there are custom manufacture seats out there that will give you a little relief, but I'm afraid you won't be totally flat footed.

I have a '06 FJR which is exactly like your '07, but just a different color, and I bought a Corbin seat that lowered me down another 3/4 of an inch or so from the lowest standard position on our Yamaha adjustable seat.

When you order it, tell them your short and your inseam and you want the seat shaved near the front and sides to allow you more contact with the ground and they will do that.

Then try and find a boot manufacturer that utilizes a thick waffle type sole to give you added firm contact as opposed to a "flimsy" gym shoe or street shoe. (I have a Sidi boot that fills that bill)

Then if your willing to spend the dinero, find a custom orthotic manufacturer that will make an orthotic device that not only supports your feet properly so your knee joint, hip joints align properly and you can walk all day in those bad boys and not have aching feet. The plus side to the orthotics is they will add about 1/2" or more to your vertical situation.

If you go that route, you will have to buy a boot that is a little larger. In my case I went from a 7 1/2 to a 9.

Then you just have to have your situational awareness radar on at all times when your pulling into a parking lot or parking situation.

As you mentioned rain gutters or ends of driveways are definite killers. Never park in a spot with your front end headed downhill or a spot with the slope on your kickstand side higher then the other side.

When in doubt, I don't care how hokey it looks, I walk the bike out of the spot as opposed to sitting on it and trying to use my feet to propel it like most you guys can do....it's a much better alternative then dropping the bike.

These are all things we "vertically" challenged individuals have to do to enjoy riding the FJR.

Orbitr,

Let's get them triple trees adjusted up a little for ya!! If you need a hand doing it let me know and we could hook up.

Welcome to the forum!!

JW

What's the name of that movie where the dude has his leg bones cut and regrown so he could be taller?

I'm in the same boat and actually dropped the bike once a few months back trying to get it into a better position so my wife could get on and put my right foot down in a 3" pothole. I should have stayed where I was to start with. :glare:

Corbin, Corbin, Rocky Mayer, I might add. ;)

You mean Rick Mayer?? I as at his shop yesterday. He made me a seat (and if I may get loud here) IT ROCKS!!! This is not some high production place. I sat in the back with my bike as he PESONALLY shaped my seat and cut/sewed the leather. Call his shop and ask him. I was there for 4 hours and he did two other bike too. Lowered one, raised one and then mine... Yea, it can be done............. I love my new seat

Clicky Ricky Site

P5290059.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Corbin, Corbin, Rocky Mayer, I might add. ;)

You mean Rick Mayer?? I as at his shop yesterday. He made me a seat (and if I may get loud here) IT ROCKS!!! This is not some high production place. I sat in the back with my bike as he PESONALLY shaped my seat and cut/sewed the leather. Call his shop and ask him. I was there for 4 hours and he did two other bike too. Lowered one, raised one and then mine... Yea, it can be done............. I love my new seat

Clicky Ricky Site
When you are at my place today, you'll see my seat built by his brother, Bill aka Rocky :)

:blink: .................I bought a Corbin seat that lowered me down another 3/4 of an inch or so from the lowest standard position on our Yamaha adjustable seat.
When you order it, tell them your short and your inseam and you want the seat shaved near the front and sides to allow you more contact with the ground and they will do that............
Corbin calls it a "narrow nose", when they shave off the front of the seat.