FJR + short inseam + uneven pavement = oh crap...

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great bunch of posts - at 29" I have been pondering my options. I will have to check out the washer removal technique as I really don't want to lower the bike. I can relate to struggling to back the bike out of a downhill slot and have gotten better at strategic parking.

...snip...
Send an email to this guy - he has done two seats for me. They come back more comfortable than stock, and lowered. He's pretty easy to work with, and his prices are very good. Work is first rate. Certainly a whole lot cheaper than purchasing another seat.

https://www.meancitycycles.com/index.html

Good luck - and let us know how it works out for you.
Thanks - I've contacted them and already gotten an initial response (on a weekend, no less!)

I have yet to find any seat that will get you in the right direction better than a corbin. The other seats may be more comfortable, but they dont get you where you need to be height wise. The corbin seats are nicely made, but there hard. i have mine cut down slightly from stock and had the nose shaved. It helps alot. Probably takes me down at least an inch from the stocker. When given the choice between seight height and comfort, i have to lean towards seat height with a 29 inch (on a good day) inseam.

Everyone raves about the other seats and how comfortable they are, but they tend not to be vertically challenged.

greygoose

Orbitr, thanks for starting this thread. I too am inseam challenged at the same 30" size and have already dropped mine in an uneven parking lot because of this. I will try the rubber grommet removal first and then see if a lowered seat from Corbin will have to do the trick. Last Corbin I got though, I wasn't too impressed with. The seat started to delaminate and the piping looked frayed after a month or two. I should have sent it back but would have been bikeless at the time. Take care. B)

With a 30" inseam I have the same problem. I've thought about getting the saddle shaved down but worry about my legs being more cramped on the long rides. I suppose if I had both a 'short-ass' and an all-day saddle I could use the former around town and swap in the all-day for the long trips. But maybe the grommet idea is better - I could take the grommets but keep them with the bike while scooting around a town but quickly reinstall them before hitting the road.

I dream about a bike with an electric or air leveling system that would let the rider raise or lower the height to their liking...such a system exists for 4 wheels, doesn't it?

Just to add a little information about the corbin seat and helping with seats firmness.

If you decide to go with a corbin you can ask them not to use that extra strenght memory foam that they use in the production of their seats. then you can tell us if it made the seat more comfy.

I have a corbin on my 05 that I bought off the forum. I only have a thirty inch inseam and I have no problems with the bike.

If low level fjr pilot had a problem with a seat he should have returned it for Corbin to repair or replace. I have had several corbins and their quality and service has been No. 1.

weekend rider :) :D

29" inseam and lowered stock seat 3/4". In reality I don't think you can do much more regardless if it's Corbin or any other manufacturer. I did remove the 4 rubber feet(2007) and installed pads from hardware store. Good boots with thick soles help although I never quite get my heel on road. The more experience on the FJR seems to help a lot. You just keep on getting more careful in picking parking places, etc. I find in tight places you are better started in second gear to smooth out the power delivery.

I lowered my seat almost an inch without cutting any foam -- all work done on the pan. So low I had to cut the lower sides of the seat because they were hitting the side body panels.

My 29" inseam remains but I can now flat-foot the bike. If you want, I made up a .pdf file of the seat pan mode. Email me if you want a copy.

Jon

[email protected]