FJR Top speed.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MaxSpeed2720.jpg
I didn't realize our bikes can cruise at Mach 3. Man I've been missing out. Should be able to do a IBA ride in about 25 minutes now! :yahoo:

Max speed has its own reset, separate from the trip computer (which is basically all the other fields on the screen.) So the multi-mach "trip" wasn't that one. ;)

That trip looks like a grocery store run, with the GPS left on in the parking lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like we have to beat this dead horse at least once a year. :angry:

Mine did 156 measured at Bonneville. I think it was 05 or 06. :)

To the original topic...

If you haven't felt the rev limiter yet, it's because you haven't reached it.

I accidentally found the revlimit on my Gen-II a few months ago. Goofing around, nobody around, I 'launched' from a stop light. Needle spun around so fast it was incredible. I was expecting a sputtering/surging like drop-off as with my prior carbureted machines. Nope. I forget, think it was like 10K, I thought I'd hit something. The computer so abruptly cut power I lurched forward. Neat thing, unlike carbureted bikes that sorta 'surge' (increase RPM, cut off, drift below the limit, then come on again, drift...), the FJR's ran right to the line, then stayed there, steady, just not going any higher, until I got my head screwed back on and backed off after ~3 seconds.

This computer-controlled stuff can be really cool. Like a rocket to redline then--stayed there. Go figure. Given how -fast- she spun up to redline, probably a good thing there's a limiter. Wouldn't take much to go another 1-3K too high and have a real issue.

:)

Never been that fast, but aerodynamics are a bitch when all those air molecules build up at the front.

I have no problem with those pesky built up molecules bottlenose.... I just blow 'em outa the way.

I've suggested this fix to Yamaha for the genlll's. I'm thinking 185 will be within reach. ;)

d

Fan.png
Hhhmmmm...so if i put another in back of the rider????/

Never been that fast, but aerodynamics are a bitch when all those air molecules build up at the front.

I have no problem with those pesky built up molecules bottlenose.... I just blow 'em outa the way.

I've suggested this fix to Yamaha for the genlll's. I'm thinking 185 will be within reach. ;)

d

Fan.png
Hhhmmmm...so if i put another in back of the rider????/
...you'll disperse your "in-saddle" farts much quicker. :thumbsupsmiley:

I've reached 140 according to my Zumo 550, and that was with a passenger on the Atlantic Expressway, my butt cheeks, and the passenger struggling to hold on, spoke to me while accelerating...so I slowed to a moderate 100 for while...

Does the FJ succumb to any type of instability at higher speeds? On one of my first trips out with this bike, I reached just shy of 130 and was surprised at how sure-footed it felt. My old Maxims would develop a sickening wobble around the 100-110 mark (if I placed my feet on the passenger pegs so as to crouch forward more aerodynamically, the wobble started at 85) but it gave plenty of warning. Nevertheless, the concern of hitting a high speed wobble at higher speeds that gave little warning has always made me apprehensive about pushing this bike further. Or maybe it's just my nut-sac is getting too long, I don't know. :whistling:
I think you mean a 'weave' vs. a 'wobble'. Wobble is when the handlebars get that shake, frequently decelerating around 50-40 mph. Weave is a higher speed phenomena and has more to do with the rear end.
The Honda ST1300 which is sold overseas as a PanEuropean has a reputation for its high speed weave. This is known as the PanWeave. The ST was used by the English police until an officer was killed in a weave induced crash. Then one of the best motor officers on the force was killed while investigating the weave. The British Police subsequently sold off their Hondas. The issue has been beaten to death already, but it was yet another factor in Dad getting the FJR instead of the Honda.

Does the FJ succumb to any type of instability at higher speeds? On one of my first trips out with this bike, I reached just shy of 130 and was surprised at how sure-footed it felt. My old Maxims would develop a sickening wobble around the 100-110 mark (if I placed my feet on the passenger pegs so as to crouch forward more aerodynamically, the wobble started at 85) but it gave plenty of warning. Nevertheless, the concern of hitting a high speed wobble at higher speeds that gave little warning has always made me apprehensive about pushing this bike further. Or maybe it's just my nut-sac is getting too long, I don't know. :whistling:
I think you mean a 'weave' vs. a 'wobble'. Wobble is when the handlebars get that shake, frequently decelerating around 50-40 mph. Weave is a higher speed phenomena and has more to do with the rear end.
The Honda ST1300 which is sold overseas as a PanEuropean has a reputation for its high speed weave. This is known as the PanWeave. The ST was used by the English police until an officer was killed in a weave induced crash. Then one of the best motor officers on the force was killed while investigating the weave. The British Police subsequently sold off their Hondas. The issue has been beaten to death already, but it was yet another factor in Dad getting the FJR instead of the Honda.
I heard about this when choosing between the two and it was definitely an influence.

We have a couple ST1300 Police bikes. They are governed at like 120, but if anyone has the balls to ride through the 110 weave, I haven't met him yet. I don't like it at all.

Every now and then I'll get invited to a training ride, since I used to be in the unit and ride a bike that can "keep up." When I show up, they ask me to not embarrass them on the high speed stuff and then proceed to argue about who gets to ride my bike.

Wait till these jackasses get a whiff of the new suspension.

We have a couple ST1300 Police bikes. They are governed at like 120, but if anyone has the balls to ride through the 110 weave, I haven't met him yet. I don't like it at all.

Every now and then I'll get invited to a training ride, since I used to be in the unit and ride a bike that can "keep up." When I show up, they ask me to not embarrass them on the high speed stuff and then proceed to argue about who gets to ride my bike.

Wait till these jackasses get a whiff of the new suspension.
I love this story! I can just see them arguing over who gets to ride the FJR! :lol:

I am back got mind up to 145 in fourth gear as I blew past one of those big Triump bikes on a back road. Did I mention that you guys ride to fast. Oh one more thing I dropped my bike Saturday need a left side mirror for an 07.

I am back got mind up to 145 in fourth gear as I blew past one of those big Triump bikes on a back road. Did I mention that you guys ride to fast. Oh one more thing I dropped my bike Saturday need a left side mirror for an 07.
Hey preacherman,

You might be the one riding too fast. ;)

I'm assuming you didn't wipeout at 145mph since you only need a left mirror. :D

Welcome back. I assume you don't need a 6th gear overdrive an the FJR.

Hey preacherman,

You might be the one riding too fast. ;)

I'm assuming you didn't wipeout at 145mph since you only need a left mirror. :D

Welcome back. I assume you don't need a 6th gear overdrive an the FJR.
I have slowed way down loss my nerve with my old age. If you put it in I'll take that 6th gear LOL.

135 is my GPS best and I hit it yesterday on a lonely piece of 40 East. Steady as a rock and I had to let off because of traffic. I would guess my Helen Two Wheels bags and my various tools in the side cases would weigh in at 100-125 lbs. Like I said smooth as silk and much more to go, but again the bike has more heart then me!