FJR Top speed.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea I can feel it around 9.5 in every gear but 4th and 5th. My Gps reads 161 topped out but it seems like it would pull on out to 165 if it didn't hit that wall.
That's what's happening....you're hitting the aerodynamic wall for the FJR. Pop some nitrous in there, hit the bottle when you hit 160 and you'll see 175 JUST before your motor explodes.

151 according to gps with bags and givi e55 on sr357 while 98 degrees. Not too bad with that giant airbrake behind me. Bags were loaded and it was rock steady.

Yea I can feel it around 9.5 in every gear but 4th and 5th. My Gps reads 161 topped out but it seems like it would pull on out to 165 if it didn't hit that wall.
That's what's happening....you're hitting the aerodynamic wall for the FJR. Pop some nitrous in there, hit the bottle when you hit 160 and you'll see 175 JUST before your motor explodes.
Yeah But, it'll be the most exihilarating three seconds of his life! :lol:

Yeah, you don't wanna get me involved in a GPS max speed pissing contest:

MaxSpeed2720.jpg

It's obviously incorrect, but it is the readout on my device. Apparently it hadn't been powered up for several weeks when it was shipped to me after an eBay purchase, so the combination of time and distance from its previous fix had it fixing erroneously for a few minutes on power-up. It's fix would correct every few seconds, and the position change between fixes resulted in it having to have gone this fast to get there.

So I've never reset the max speed. I like it!
Almost Mach 4 --- NICE!

An FJR's top speed will vary based on many factors. I've owned several Gen I FJRs and they all had different top speeds. And those can vary by bike set-up also. Whether bags are on, whether you have an aftermarket screen. Is screen up or down. Stuff like that. Then there are environmental factors like wind, temperature, elevation, and road incline or decline.

My top speeds measured by gps have been anywhere between 142 mph and 160 mph. None of those were limited by the FJR's rev limiter. An FJR's top speed is limited by available power and resistance. In my experience, the rev limiter kicks in around 10,500 rpm which you won't hit at max speed in 5th gear. Though on my lower geared Gen I the one time I hit 160 mph I was close. On Gen I FJRs, speeds over 150 mph or so you are past the 9,000 rpm redline. Typically, on the Gen Is I have owned, top speed by gps (speedo is always showing much higher) is around 147-154mph.

The times I have hit the rev limiter have been in lower gears while accelerating. 2nd or 3rd gear generally. I am assuming the rev limiter is the ecu cutting fuel on all cylinders, but I don't know that for sure.

Take your FJR and keep on accelerating in 2nd gear past the 9,000 rpm 'redline' and you will feel it when the rev limiter kicks in.

oh well who cares

it does everyhing so well that no single thing can lower it's fun as hell factor.

gene

I'm a little confused, you went from it stopping at 150 to topping it out at 161 on the GPS 3 hours later?

An FJR's top speed will vary based on many factors. I've owned several Gen I FJRs and they all had different top speeds. And those can vary by bike set-up also. Whether bags are on, whether you have an aftermarket screen. Is screen up or down. Stuff like that. Then there are environmental factors like wind, temperature, elevation, and road incline or decline.

My top speeds measured by gps have been anywhere between 142 mph and 160 mph. None of those were limited by the FJR's rev limiter. An FJR's top speed is limited by available power and resistance. In my experience, the rev limiter kicks in around 10,500 rpm which you won't hit at max speed in 5th gear. Though on my lower geared Gen I the one time I hit 160 mph I was close. On Gen I FJRs, speeds over 150 mph or so you are past the 9,000 rpm redline. Typically, on the Gen Is I have owned, top speed by gps (speedo is always showing much higher) is around 147-154mph.

The times I have hit the rev limiter have been in lower gears while accelerating. 2nd or 3rd gear generally. I am assuming the rev limiter is the ecu cutting fuel on all cylinders, but I don't know that for sure.

Take your FJR and keep on accelerating in 2nd gear past the 9,000 rpm 'redline' and you will feel it when the rev limiter kicks in.

oh well who cares

it does everyhing so well that no single thing can lower it's fun as hell factor.

gene

I'm a little confused, you went from it stopping at 150 to topping it out at 161 on the GPS 3 hours later?
+1

I really envy you guys. I used to get a big thrill out of riding fast but, now at 75, I'm lucky to hit triple digits every once in a while. Old eyes just don't react fast enough and afraid I would get in a mess of trouble. :lol:

I swear to God, if I catch any of you jackwagons doing 597mph, or Mach 2.5 through my jurisdiction, I'm a-gonna pull you over and write you a ticket!!

I swear to God, if I catch any of you jackwagons doing 597mph, or Mach 2.5 through my jurisdiction, I'm a-gonna pull you over and write you a ticket!!
You sure as shit ain't gonna catch 'em with your Gen II! :fuck: :rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just gonna chase them down on foot. I mean, if we're gonna be full if shit and pretend that a GenI can out run a Yugo, we might as well be completely outrageous. :fuck:

I'm just gonna chase them down on foot. I mean, if we're gonna be full if shit and pretend that a GenI can out run a Yugo, we might as well be completely outrageous. :fuck:
:yes:

Personally I have had mine up to 140. But that is on old PR2 that are cupped. But smooth as silk getting to that point. I ride highway to and from work and personally like my Licence with no points so I try not to be a speed demon. But for the most part I like rolling 80-90 on the highway and around here thats just to keep up. But it is a damn good feeling all that power is there at a blink of a eye. But I think this is one of the things that make the FJR almost perfect. Sure I can cruise all day like the others but when your ready to fly let me know and I will be there waiting!!