FJR Turbo

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently began developing a low boost turbo kit for my FJR, with these objectives:

1. No internal engine modifications.

2. 40% increase in engine torque.

3. Reduction in radiated engine heat.

4. Completely stealth.

5. No permanent modifications to the bike.

Does anyone have any interest or experience in this type of project?

With regret, I have terminated the turbo poject.

I was unable to mantain the necessary turbocharger efficiency, without permanent visible modification to the bike's fairing.

Last edited by a moderator:
*****Weird wind sound*******

If you build it, they will come........

*****Weird wind sound*******

Forget about what all the silly naysayers are about to say.

I think it's a great idea. I've been waiting to see an actual turbo-FJR for 6 years now.

As Butthead would say, 'Cool'.

I would love to see this!

There have been a few topics on this, And it generally gets dogpiled... So be ready!

I have interest and one forum member put his bike on NOS. I have not heard back how it's going but.... Would love to see.

I think it would be great if you can handle it. Personally I am getting too old to handle anymore than my standard FJR offers. But go for it and let us know how it works out.

I recently began developing a low boost turbo kit for my FJR, with these objectives:1. No internal engine modifications.

2. 40% increase in engine torque.

3. Reduction in radiated engine heat.

4. Completely stealth.

5. No permanent modifications to the bike.

Does anyone have any interest or experience in this type of project?
Well, I hate to rain on anyone's parade -- but:

1. Any meaningful power increase (40%) will require lower compression pistons.
  2. Good turbocharging requires different cam profiles than normal aspiration.
  3. Usually, there's more heat.
  4. Do you plan to 'blow-thru' the stock throttle bodies? Or, just use one intake fuel device?
  5. Are you including an inter-cooler?
When the Yamaha Factory turbocharged the XJ-650, 27 years ago, it was only moderately successful (and that's being kind).I wish you luck in you efforts, though. :)

If you're successful, we'll find out just how durable the FJR engine really is..... :eek:

If you're serious, and I really mean SERIOUS, I'd recommend spending some time scanning through THIS section of the ZRX Owner's Association forum.

Granted, the Rex and the Feej are two wildly different canvasses, but the final portrait you'd be wanting are very similar.

Go ask a BUNCH of questions. There are a lot of turbo experts over there to brain-pick. One in particular you might want to hookup with, PM-wise, is Ryan, aka forum name "Uncle Bob ZRX". Ryan was one of the first to put together a hair dryer Rex and has many, many miles of pressurized experience. Would be a good source of what, and what NOT, to do.

Sounds like a fun project and might be a lot easier than some would think, considering the FI/PCIII fueling options the FJR has, compared to the Rex's carb'd intake limitations.

One definite constant throughout the ZRX Turbo forum is keeping plenty of spare pistons in the garage. :)

I am interested and watching...

Where's my popcorn...

(this sounds cool as shit to me)

We were interested here, interested here, many others places, and pretty much summarized here except that it's now six years of vapor instead of three. Maybe 2009 will be different. ;)

If you wanna go fasterBuy a faster bike!
While that is basically a valid concept, there's really nothing like the 'kick-in-the-pants' from a turbocharger 'spooling-up' and building boost.

It has been described as being like a big hand grabbing you and rapidly pulling you forward. And.., it can become addictive -- life after turbocharging can seem rather dull. Especially after "poor" turbocharging (lots of boost that's not well disciplined/integrated).

While it's certainly possible to buy a faster bike, turbocharging is a "whole 'nuther world".... :eek: :)

I think its a great idea, but without internal mods, not possible or plausable if you want to keep the basic nature of the FJR - reliable long distance super sport touring..... At a minumum, if you want reliability, you'll hve to change out your pistons and rings. Then upgrade clutch.

Will be fun to watch though!