FJR Turbo

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RHowie ~ Talk about a small, small world... Sitting here this morning with my first cuppa coffee and stumble into this thread.

The "UncleBob" thread you referenced was a hoot to open and read, as he is one interesting and talented guy who I have the pleasure to call a friend.

"Wildryce" in the thread happens to be my youngest son! The Bandit shown as his avatar is one of UncleBob's (Ryan's) fabrications, and he and Ross worked together for years at an automotive shop in West Seattle. Matter of fact, when I finally got back on a m/c after thirty five or more years of doing without, it was Ryan who spooned on the new rubber on my 91 Kawasaki 750 (and then filled the shop with tire smoke as he scrubbed-in the rear with a giant burnout :p )

Ross has since moved on to other things with his working life, but they remain fast friends (hmmm, excellent choice of words there), and ride together frequently.

to the OP: Ryan is the type of guy who will freely share his experiences with you if you ask. He is the real deal!

Don

[*]Any meaningful power increase (40%) will require lower compression pistons.[*]Good turbocharging requires different cam profiles than normal aspiration.

[*]Usually, there's more heat.

[*]Do you plan to 'blow-thru' the stock throttle bodies? Or, just use one intake fuel device?

[*]Are you including an inter-cooler?
Actually the ZX-14 and Hayabusa guys are getting excellent results with turbocharging on stock engines. The ZX-14 in particular has far higher compression and with even with the stock cams - those guys are seeing very meaningful increases even on pump gas.

Electronic engines controls and advanced technologies have really allowed for some dramatic advances with both cars and motorcycles over the past 5-6 years with both supercharging but especially turbocharging.

I recently began developing ...
Dude,

I recently began developing an auxiliary fuel tank. It took me three years to cross the finish line.

Please elaborate on "recently began developing". What do you have so far?

I for one would love to follow the progress on a project like this, but... share the details! Post some photos. If you've tried something that didn't work out, post details about that. And, if explosions were involved... give us videos!

Actually the ZX-14 and Hayabusa guys are getting excellent results with turbocharging on stock engines. The ZX-14 in particular has far higher compression and with even with the stock cams - those guys are seeing very meaningful increases even on pump gas. Electronic engines controls and advanced technologies have really allowed for some dramatic advances with both cars and motorcycles over the past 5-6 years with both supercharging but especially turbocharging.
Any details? Or, can you point me in the right direction for details...(link/s)? Some quantitative data would be helpful.

Getting 40% more is relatively easy with forced induction -- but, reliability of many stock engines may suffer?

I'm sure both the engines you cite (ZX-14 and 'Busa) are excellent and quite durable -- but if the gains are moderate? -- then maybe all the effort may not be worth it...? :unsure:

I agree: modern electronics has made forced induction (especially turbocharging -- with all its crazy "worm-eating-its-tail" antics) viable. But I think there are 'first principles' that must be attended to for (good) success.

I'm willing to be educated, tho... :huh: :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently began developing a low boost turbo kit for my FJR, with these objectives:1. No internal engine modifications.

2. 40% increase in engine torque.

3. Reduction in radiated engine heat.

4. Completely stealth.

5. No permanent modifications to the bike.

Does anyone have any interest or experience in this type of project?
1. 40% increase in torque doesn't translate to a 40% power increase. The peak increase in torque is not at the peak of the power curve. I expect about a 35% increase in power.

2. I should be able to achieve this with a boost of 5psi . A 5psi boost will require premium fuel, but no compression reduction.

3. The mild factory cams will work perfectly with this boost level.

4. True more power usually results in more heat. I intend to insulate the exhaust system to retain it's heat. This should lower rediated engine heat. Any addition heat will be of limited duration and the engine cooling system sould be able to handle it.

5. I am using the stock throttle bodies with a custom plenum.

6. No inter-cooler is planned or needed at 5psi .

I recently began developing ...
Dude,

I recently began developing an auxiliary fuel tank. It took me three years to cross the finish line.

Please elaborate on "recently began developing". What do you have so far?

I for one would love to follow the progress on a project like this, but... share the details! Post some photos. If you've tried something that didn't work out, post details about that. And, if explosions were involved... give us videos!
I have figured how to fit the turbo inside the factory cowing. Now comes the hard part making the exhaust manifold.

RHowie ~ Talk about a small, small world... Sitting here this morning with my first cuppa coffee and stumble into this thread.
The "UncleBob" thread you referenced was a hoot to open and read, as he is one interesting and talented guy who I have the pleasure to call a friend.

"Wildryce" in the thread happens to be my youngest son! The Bandit shown as his avatar is one of UncleBob's (Ryan's) fabrications, and he and Ross worked together for years at an automotive shop in West Seattle. Matter of fact, when I finally got back on a m/c after thirty five or more years of doing without, it was Ryan who spooned on the new rubber on my 91 Kawasaki 750 (and then filled the shop with tire smoke as he scrubbed-in the rear with a giant burnout :p )

Ross has since moved on to other things with his working life, but they remain fast friends (hmmm, excellent choice of words there), and ride together frequently.

to the OP: Ryan is the type of guy who will freely share his experiences with you if you ask. He is the real deal!

Don
Ryan is QUITE the turbo installing maniac.

If anyone is interested in reading an 11 page, start-to-finish ZRX Turbo install, with pics and videos, here's the LINK.

The hardest thing for a Feej pilot to accept turbo'ing their ride would be cutting a couple of LARGE holes in their plastic for the turbo air intake and the piping running to the intake plenum that would be replacing the airbox.

Nothing that lots of $$$$ and desire can't solve. :)

DSC_1435.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have interest and one forum member put his bike on NOS. I have not heard back how it's going but.... Would love to see.
That was me-I had it on my '05 and now have it on my '08 (look above the slip-on on my avatar and you'll see the right side bottle-I have dual bottles).

The NOS worked perfectly on the '05-I had +20, 30,40hp jets. Hold it wide open in third, hit the button & shift to 4th, etc-a hell of a rush. Keep in mind it is a rush that "gathers" rather than a kick in the pants.

I haven't put it on a dyno & probably won't. The reason I went NOS is ease of installation and price (lot of HP for less than $300.00 if you can install yourself).

If anyone is interested let me know and I can give the whole scoop.

-Please, no comments of "you'll shoot your eye out," "you'll blow this up, that up," etc. I have quite a bit of NOS experience on bikes running a lot more HP than the FJ. I have also run turbos and went to NOS because it was far easier with less modifications necessary. However, when I ran a turbo, it was quite primitive then-much better now.

-Still, being a "fiddler," the thought of another turbo intrigues me....

Thought I'd add a bit of answers to FAQ:

NOS is only on demand-thus more heat only as the button is pushed.

NOS is not explosive in itself, it releases more oxygen during the combustion process.

Nitrous has a cooling effect when it burns.

The "dry" nitrous is fired into the airbox past the temperature sensor, which "tricks" the black box into adding more fuel.

I run a Techlusion FI controller, which I set to add more fuel anyway at any point in the rpms that I want.

No need to monkey with the timing.

+40 hp doesn't need engine mods.

-Real Neat: I have a dual nozzle "purge" system pointed out the back fender that shoots twin streams of nitrous out at high pressure (turns to vapor as it exits the lines)-I've surprised the Hell out of more than a few people with it!!!

You go KarMark, you GO!

so, eh, just askin, huh?

How come you aint known as 'BikeMark?, eh? :lol:

i would be glad to assist you by providing free machining/welding. sounds like a fun project to be involved in.
I appreciate the offer, but distance maybe a problem. Have you had any experience with 321 Stainless Steel tubing?
have welded that and inconel for aircraft exhausts and steam applications. fairly pricey but a lot of sizes available with pre bent u's for making up headers and exhausts. when cutting it use a band saw blade that you will only use to cut it or cutoff wheels that you only use on it. then sand it. i have had problems wire brushing it with stainless wheels as it contaminates easily and welding thin tube thats contaminated just adds to the adventure. tig with 100% argon as you don't need the extra heat of other gasses.

i understand i can't be of much day to day help. i just wanted to offer my services in case you needed something welded or machined and could wait for the time it would take to coordinate.

i would be glad to assist you by providing free machining/welding. sounds like a fun project to be involved in.
I appreciate the offer, but distance maybe a problem. Have you had any experience with 321 Stainless Steel tubing?
have welded that and inconel for aircraft exhausts and steam applications. fairly pricey but a lot of sizes available with pre bent u's for making up headers and exhausts. when cutting it use a band saw blade that you will only use to cut it or cutoff wheels that you only use on it. then sand it. i have had problems wire brushing it with stainless wheels as it contaminates easily and welding thin tube thats contaminated just adds to the adventure. tig with 100% argon as you don't need the extra heat of other gasses.

i understand i can't be of much day to day help. i just wanted to offer my services in case you needed something welded or machined and could wait for the time it would take to coordinate.
Thanks for the information, I have quite-a -bit of expertise in engine management and mechanics, but am lacking when it comes to welding.

Yeah...BUT!!!

Check out the red shop rag air filter! Somebody, ping Wicked Webby and Useless Pickles! They'll put one on theirs!

Gosh ,, I'm getting old ,,, :unsure:

There are plenty of bikes out there that go like stink ,,, R1 ,,Haybusa ,, GSX R1000 ,,etc..

You can buy them at a reasonable price ,, just put gas in them and exceed the speed limit in any state

by twice....

I put a corbin seat and hyper lights on my FJR ,, and think that's enough,,,

But it does sound like an interesting exercise...