FJR Turbo

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.aerocharger.com/images/Aerocharger%20Brochure.pdf TurbochargedZX11: I like the fact that you have the moxie to develop your own turbo kit for your FJR. Takes a whole lot of initiative on your part, but you certainly have the mechanical background and experience to see this tough project through to the end. I am going to take the easy path on my 2002 Harley-Davidson Super Glide and just directly buy the Aerocharger kit from Aerotech. At Sturgis Bike Week 2001 I test rode a 2000 FXD TC 88, just like mine, at Aerotech's exhibit at the Convention Center in Rapid City, South Dakota.

What I really enjoyed on the 15 miles I put on an Aerocharger equipped FXD was the total lack of any noticeable turbo lag.

Naturally, the Harley-Davidson I rode, and my own H-D with turbo, will never achieve the torque and horsepower that your FJR will: The extra boost I'll be getting on my FXD is all I'll ever need! Looking forward to following this very nice thread!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.aerocharger.com/images/Aerocharger%20Brochure.pdf TurbochargedZX11: I like the fact that you have the moxie to develop your own turbo kit for your FJR. Takes a whole lot of initiative on your part, but you certainly have the mechanical background and experience to see this tough project through to the end. I am going to take the easy path on my 2002 Harley-Davidson Super Glide and just directly buy the Aerocharger kit from Aerotech. At Sturgis Bike Week 2001 I test rode a 2000 FXD TC 88, just like mine, at Aerotech's exhibit at the Convention Center in Rapid City, South Dakota.
What I really enjoyed on the 15 miles I put on an Aerocharger equipped FXD was the total lack of any noticeable turbo lag.

Naturally, the Harley-Davidson I rode, and my own H-D with turbo, will never achieve the torque and horsepower that your FJR will: The extra boost I'll be getting on my FXD is all I'll ever need! Looking forward to following this very nice thread!!!
Just out of curiosity, how much is that kit?

Just out of curiosity, how much is that kit?
gotta be one of those situations where "if ya gotta ask..."

https://www.american-v.co.uk/technical/tuni...arger/body.html Patriot and Renegade: Unfortunately true, the turbo kit is a "if ya gotta ask..." situation.

When I had my opportunity, which I regrettably missed out on, to buy a Vendors Exhibit Model for my 2002 FXD at Sturgis directly from Aerocharger, I could have got it for $3K even. Plus, they offered to ship "KIT" for free back home to Arizona.

Sadly, I have a bad feeling that a brand new unit will set me back at least $5K. So I am now in the "hunt" for a used unit.

But what I like about a turbo charger, as a continuous Harley owner since August of 1970 when I returned home from overseas from the US Army, it that it is a reliable power enhancement. Besides being a Member of FJR Forum, I am also a twenty-five year member of H.O.G.; and while I mostly go on trips with the AZ FJR Forum Group, I still ride with HOG guys.

When you raise the compression, when you stroke the rods, overbore the cylinders with bigger pistons, install a hotter cam, and go with pipes and a carburetor that is only good for maximum RPM on an H-D Big Twin: UNRELIABLE AND BAD NEWS!!!

With a turbo unit, you are only stressing that V-Twin when you need / want the extra ponies: Otherwise the motor is loafing!

But what I like about a turbo charger, ...it that it is a reliable power enhancement. When you raise the compression, when you stroke the rods, overbore the cylinders with bigger pistons, install a hotter cam, and go with pipes and a carburetor that is only good for maximum RPM on an H-D Big Twin: UNRELIABLE AND BAD NEWS!!!

With a turbo unit, you are only stressing that V-Twin when you need / want the extra ponies: Otherwise the motor is loafing!
Don...Don..., time-out for a 'reality check'.

When you apply 10 lbs boost with that Aerocharger unit -- you'll be effectively changing the engine's compression ratio to something-like (?) 17:1 (like a compression ignition diesel). The heat generated from only brief operation will be extreme. And the pressure loading on the (already old-style and frail) engine parts will be severe.

Better put-aside another $5.5K for engine repair.... :huh: :( :rolleyes:

And..., I generally like turbocharging (well, actually, it's more like a 'love-hate'/fear relationship) :)

But what I like about a turbo charger, ...it that it is a reliable power enhancement. When you raise the compression, when you stroke the rods, overbore the cylinders with bigger pistons, install a hotter cam, and go with pipes and a carburetor that is only good for maximum RPM on an H-D Big Twin: UNRELIABLE AND BAD NEWS!!!

Don...Don..., time-out for a 'reality check'.

When you apply 10 lbs boost with that Aerocharger unit -- you'll be effectively changing the engine's compression ratio to something like 17:1 (like a compression ignition diesel). The heat generated from only brief operation will be extreme. And the pressure loading on the (already old-style and frail) engine parts will be severe.

Better put-aside another $5.5K for engine repair.... :huh: :( :rolleyes:

And..., I generally like turbocharging (well, actually, it's more like a 'love-hate'/fear relationship) :)
charismaticmegafauna: I always enjoy and trust your comments, you are very well versed, and I'll certainly consider them!

My riding style these days coming up on 61 can be described in two words: Old and Slow. I cannot envision using the boost very often down here in the Phoenix flatlands where it is hotter than hell already, thus more stressful on H-D "tractor" parts.

Where I'd be using the boost is on the Beeline Highway heading up to Payson or I-17 grades heading up to your AZ place.

So, my use of boost will primarily be in cooler mountain climes; and then just to get by truck rigs and slower motor homes.

I always enjoy and trust your comments, you are very well versed, and I'll certainly consider them!
Thank you for the kind words. :)

Where I'd be using the boost is on the Beeline Highway heading up to Payson ....and then just to get by truck rigs and slower motor homes.
That's a nice long up-hill grade -- close to 50 miles worth -- just the kind of place where turbos like to flex their muscles (and melt/destroy engine parts!).

May I suggest: an old pick-up truck or m/c trailer stashed in Rye....? At least there's a convenient m/c junkyard there....! :eek: :rolleyes:

Good luck with your power enhancement. :)

Just a couple of pictures of mount.
SANY0115.jpg

SANY0122.jpg
That system is soooo yesterday with a 2030s model FJR. :ph34r:

ok here goes, I did this on my 2000 Acura Integra Type-R. It was stock compression ratio (11:1?)with forged Wiseco pistons. Here is a link I used to educate myself on turbo charging honda cars:

https://www.beesandgoats.com/boostfaq/g2icturbo.html

It took almost a year to tune my car correctly but here is a summary:

I built the hot and cold pipes myself as well as the oil lines and the mounting brackets for the turbo. I used a front mount intercooler and upgraded the injectors from 240cc to 450cc. I had an aftermarket ignition system and tuned the car with an OBD-1 ECU from a 92-95 civic using Uberdata which I believe is no longer available on the web. I used a GM 2-bar map sensor to replace the stock one and I datalogged with a laptop and used a wideband to fine tune the initial tune. As stated earlier, it took over a year to get the car right and when I did it ran better than the stock tune with the OBD-2 ECU it came with (I had to put that in to get it inspected ; )) The little car made somewhere around 400 horsepower with about 15 psi of boost and was an absolute sleeper!

Some problems it had was excessive heat and it no longer had knock retard with the OBD-1 ECU which required me to run a very conservative tune as far as the timing was concerned. Too much ignition or too little fuel and there would be a rod hanging out the side of the block. The Honda engines just could not take a lot of mis-tune under boost and I am sure these are the same way. Detonation kills boosted motors.

Here are the questions I would have to answer before I started:

1. How is the engine fueled and with what size injector? Does anybody make a bigger one for boost. RCI Engineering might. Is the stock feul pump big enough?

2. Can the ECU be cracked and manipulated? You must have complete control over the fuel maps and ignition maps. Does the engine have a knock retard system to correct for detonation?

3. How does the engine see pressure in the manifold, with a MAP sensor or a MAF sensor? Can these be cracked with the ECU as mentioned earlier?

I am sure I forgot more than I remembered because I have been out of this for at least three years but I hope this gives you some starting points.....

If there is a system like Hondata as an example that already does all of this then it is just a matter of fabricating and installing the system you are after. Good luck and keep us posted.

Good report '200cs' and interesting link, too.

IMO, one way to have a good, successful, turbocharged motorcycle experience is to start with a motorcycle that has an enviable reliability/durability reputation.

This story was told to me by Ross Copas (LD rider,early IBR winner?, Canadian, and all-around good guy):

Way back when, he was riding LD events with the (then, new) BMW K100, 1000cc/90hp, 4-cyl. 'flying brick'. He entered an event and was accompanied by a friend on a similar bike -- except, his friend decided his needed to have a Luftmeister turbocharger kit installed. During the event his friend kept asking him if his fan came-on alot -- the turboed BM apparently made the fan come-on all the time (even, sometimes, while at speed on the hwy?). Ross said that his fan seldom came on and, since the kit was a new thing, maybe that was the cause and maybe turbochargers cause that? They decided to have it looked at as soon as possible and that happened at a layover during the LD event. They had a spare day and there was a BMW shop nearby that agreed to look at it. The diagnosis: no coolant! (well, a couple cups vs. several quarts) Apparently?, the turbo-kit installer just forgot to refill the coolant?

The shop checked-over the K100/mit Luftmeister Turbo and pronounced it fit -- no apparent damage. Now, there's a durable engine...! It had been mostly oil-cooled and had the added heat and pressures of forced induction for a couple thousand miles. If this thread goes anywhere? -- I guess we'll find out how well the FJR fares...? :unsure:

One of the reasons production turbocharged motorcycles didn't do well in the market-place was that there were other, naturally aspirated, motorcycles available with more/better performance. Still, there's nothing like full-boost (up to 18 lbs) acceleration -- straightens your arms right out....! Think: the Millenium Falcon making the jump to light-speed....! :eek: :)

I've got an old Dodge Daytona. 1987 model, with well over 100K miles. It's a 2.2 SOHC motor that's lived with a factory turbocharger and intercooler the whole time. The only problems the car has are leaks from rubber seals and gaskets that have degraded over time. So a small engine can survive being on boost for long periods without the benefit of exotic materials or magic massive engine redesign-there's little difference between the N/A 2.2 and the boosted one according to the parts catalog.

maybe we should look into belt-driven *supercharging* for the FJR. It cuts down a lot on the need for exhaust plumbing and might allow for a more compact package, as well as reducing the extra heat resulting from keeping the exhaust around to run the turbo compressor...no turbo lag and you get more awesome "Knight Rider" whine from the compressor and belt drive.

Just food for thought. Running a FJR on boost is such an off-the hook concept... ranks right up there with the turbocharged bar stool and the jet-powered outhouse!

I emailed them to see if they think one of these could be swapped into my 87 Shelby Daytona. It's almost impossible to even find a Dodge variable nozzle turbo, much less try to adapt it from the specific car it was designed for. If the Aerocharger likes living in different systems, on a factory build intercooled turbo motor, I could get the benefits of the VNT (reduced turbo lag) plus some extra boost and all i'd have to do is have minor fabrication work done to the preexisting turbo headers and intake. Plus I could lose the oil lines and the problems old turbos have with oil bearings.

maybe we should look into belt-driven *supercharging* for the FJR. It cuts down a lot on the need for exhaust plumbing and might allow for a more compact package, as well as reducing the extra heat resulting from keeping the exhaust around to run the turbo compressor...no turbo lag and you get more awesome "Knight Rider" whine from the compressor and belt drive.

I used to be a supercharger (vs. turbocharger) advocate because of the issue you mentioned...all that nasty plumbing. The big problem with supercharging a bike is "where do you get the supercharger drive"?

It's not like a car where you've got a bunch of spinning belts hanging off the front of the motor to drive the compressor.

Plus, there's also the parasitic loss imparted by a SC, compared to the "free" power from a turbo.

Again, it's all about money and desire. :)

Not to say you can't do a REAL PURDY SC install on a bike. (sorry to use ZRX pics again, but there ain't no blown FJR pics I can find)

IMG_0398.jpg

IMG_0397.jpg

Now that you remind me.. At the WSBK at millers last weekend there was a boosted bike.. it was at one of the exhibit tents and the guy was riding it around.. Had a snout affair on the front for a RAM air type dohicky

A couple of ideas to ponder after building and tuning a turbo'd Yamaha Nytro Snowmobile this past winter..............

Check into a FI controller called a Rapid Bike 3. These work great in boosted applications with GM 2 or 3 bar map sensor.

You may need a larger fuel pump and injectors. Yamaha sleds are good to about 5 PSI on the stock fuel system at sea level. I dont know about the FJR. If needed the injectors can probably be modified to flow more fuel and an upgraded fuel pump/regulator is not a big deal to add.

If you want more boost and power you could set it up with a water/meth injection system (basically windshield washer fluid). This would allow higher boost on pump gas and stock compression levels.

One more thing. Boost is addictive. Once you feel it you will want more!!