fjr vs bmw quality

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry about the double post, but I knew I posted but didn't see it when I looked. Again sorry.maurice
No problem.

I'm sorry I was the *DH last night....

You just seemed like a troll at the time...

Every FNG looked like a troll....

Makers Mark and muscle relaxers 'ill do that I reckon....

*drunk hillbilly
i thought that was an every night thing with you :p
'Make passionate love ta you' an the horse ya road in on.....

:bird:
Saludos rushes, You must Always say Drunk Hillbilly with Great Pride in your Voice! Recuerdos, "El Borracho de Arizona" aka, Papa Chuy Medina "El Burrito Ballerina" MAS TEQUILA Y PEYOTE, ese!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to transfer this from the double closed thread, not like any of this hasn't already been said, but...

I've owned and sold my BMW for my FJR.
Here's my thoughts...

If you can afford the "quality" of the BMW it's a real nice bike. Is it far superior to Japanese bikes, IMO no. Is it even a little better in quality, IMO, no.

Some design features on the Beemers are great and I wish the FeeJ had them, that being said.... The amount of money it costs to maintain, buy parts, get service, etc, is way more than you'd ever pay if you had a Japanese bike. I had a BMW K-bike, and if you didn't lube the splines on the output shaft of the tranny once per year, it would fry huge and cost you at the dealer about $1K. I did the work myself and it was still about $350. Now, to lube the splines meant pulling the entire ass end of the bike off and tranny. A weekend job once a year, that is not fun. Also, just to change oil and check all components at the dealer is at least $350 to $600 depending on what they adjust. Does that sound reasonable for a high quality bike? And even though they did these maintenance items, what ever went wrong with the bike and needed fixin', you'd pay for dearly.

Don't get me wrong, it's a real nice bike, I just couldn't afford the BS and was real pissed with the tranny design issue needing that type of maintenance. Remember BMW was making engines and trannies well before the Japanese was specializing in them, and BMW still doesn't have it down IMO.

I know many people own Beemers on this forum and they are real nice fun bikes, but you pay way more for that than a Japanese bike. IMO I don't think it's even close to worth it, That's why I own a FeeJ.

Now go to the BMW forum and say the FeeJ is far better and see the response you get.

Good luck.

BTW - Love the dog pile Saturday's. ;)

I had to transfer this from the double closed thread, not like any of this hasn't already been said, but...

Here's my thoughts...

If you can afford the "quality" of the BMW it's a real nice bike. Is it far superior to Japanese bikes, IMO no. Is it even a little better in quality, IMO, no.

Some design features on the Beemers are great and I wish the FeeJ had them, that being said.... The amount of money it costs to maintain, buy parts, get service, etc, is way more than you'd ever pay if you had a Japanese bike. I had a BMW K-bike, and if you didn't lube the splines on the output shaft of the tranny once per year, it would fry huge and cost you at the dealer about $1K. I did the work myself and it was still about $350. Now, to lube the splines meant pulling the entire ass end of the bike off and tranny. A weekend job once a year, that is not fun. Also, just to change oil and check all components at the dealer is at least $350 to $600 depending on what they adjust. Does that sound reasonable for a high quality bike? And even though they did these maintenance items, what ever went wrong with the bike and needed fixin', you'd pay for dearly.

Don't get me wrong, it's a real nice bike, I just couldn't afford the BS and was real pissed with the tranny design issue needing that type of maintenance. Remember BMW was making engines and trannies well before the Japanese was specializing in them, and BMW still doesn't have it down IMO.

I know many people own Beemers on this forum and they are real nice fun bikes, but you pay way more for that than a Japanese bike. IMO I don't think it's even close to worth it, That's why I own a FeeJ.

Now go to the BMW forum and say the FeeJ is far better and see the response you get.

Good luck.

I'll piggyback onto comments made by my good friend FJRBluesman! (please johnny80s, NO lewd and crude photographs!) I've owned and ridden BMW Boxer Flat Twins for over 500,000 miles and for over 41 years now. Starting with a BMW R60/2 bought from my off US Army base landlord in Augsburg, Germany in March of 1969. The BMW quality has served me very well. I have ridden all over Europe from Gibraltar to Amsterdam and Vienna to the Irish Sea. In North America I've ridden from Prudhoe Bay to Guatemala City, all aboard BMW's. My 1974 R90S was my sweetest Beemer ever!

However, if there was such a thing as a time machine and I was now 19 and the year was 2009: I would not consider owning any other bike than the Yamaha FJR 1300, if all I could afford was 1 moto.

Thanks to some damn LUCKY investments made in rental properties over many years, I'm retired and living off rents which allows me to own five bikes, three of which are BMW's and my Harley FXD.

Like Bluesy says, FJR does everything well! My BMW's also do a lot of things very well, but as Lawrence stated: BMW often let's their Engineering Department overrule the Common Sense Department!

Here's my thoughts...

Good luck.

I'll piggyback onto comments made by my good friend FJRBluesman! (please johnny80s, NO lewd and crude photographs!) I've owned and ridden BMW Boxer Flat Twins for over 500,000 miles and for over 41 years now. Starting with a BMW R60/2 bought from my off US Army base landlord in Augsburg, Germany in March of 1969. The BMW quality has served me very well. I have ridden all over Europe from Gibraltar to Amsterdam and Vienna to the Irish Sea. In North America I've ridden from Prudhoe Bay to Guatemala City, all aboard BMW's. My 1974 R90S was my sweetest Beemer ever!
However, if there was such a thing as a time machine and I was now 19 and the year was 2009: I would not consider owning any other bike than the Yamaha FJR 1300, if all I could afford was 1 moto.

Thanks to some damn LUCKY investments made in rental properties over many years, I'm retired and living off rents which allows me to own five bikes, three of which are BMW's and my Harley FXD.

Like Bluesy says, FJR does everything well! My BMW's also do a lot of things very well, but as Lawrence stated: BMW often let's their Engineering Department overrule the Common Sense Department!
Is there a point to this?

Bluesy, here is my point: If I was starting out fresh today with Motorcycle Sport Touring, not 41 years ago, the only sole bike I would consider is the Yamaha FJR 1300. BMW's would be my 2nd choice!!

Here's my thoughts...

Good luck.

Is there a point to this?

The best motorcycle is the one I can afford to buy, maintain and run into the ground over years of riding.

I couldn't afford more than a moped, so I financed what stirred my heart -- the FJR. Get what gives you a hardon and live life.

Life without adventure is not living.

Gas prices Reg 2.91/ Mid 3.01/ Pre 3.11 20 Cents per gallon difference. Not so bad if you have a Duc that you just play with. On the other hand, if you have a FJR that you put 52000 miles on, that's a lot of money and you can't alway find premium.

Love to hear opinions of this. I have a buddy who has 3 bmw sport tourers. His point is you get what you pay for, and quality on jap bikes is not going to be like the bmw. I asked him to be specific, is he saying motors don't last as long, parts, etc. He sounded like it was not necessarily the motor miles, as I pointed out many have over 100 k and some with 200k+ miles, but quality of plastic panels, parts etc.
maurice
I looked long and hard at the BMW RT a few years ago until I started researching and talking to people about the maintenance required. Valve "adjustments" (Not checks) ever 6000 miles...etc. The list was long and cost a lot of money. I think you can make any modern day bike last forever if you do all the stuff you are supposed to do.

Had a riding buddy that had a BMW.....he said "BMW.....Don't believe the hype". That said, he bought a new Concours around 10 years ago, and that thing never ran right. Got rid of it a year or so ago, and due to various circumstances, has not bought another bike....yet. Says his next bike will be a Yamaha or a Honda. He's done with BMW and Kawasaki. Just reporting his experience.

Your friend needs to crawl out from under his blue and white roundel shaped rock, take a look around, and maybe drink a little less Bavarian Kool-aid.

There is no such think as a 'crappy' bike, there hasn't been in 20 years, and BMW in no way makes a product that is superior to what other makers offer. Just different, thats all. Echoing from above, there are some features that BMW's have that I'd like on the Feej, but not for the pricepoint they seem to command.

Don't listen to your friend, buy what makes you happy.

I'll be doing a short tour in July, and will swap tankfuls between my '06 and a '10 K1300GT - will post impressions post-ride.

-Sharif

Gas prices Reg 2.91/ Mid 3.01/ Pre 3.11 20 Cents per gallon difference. Not so bad if you have a Duc that you just play with. On the other hand, if you have a FJR that you put 52000 miles on, that's a lot of money and you can't alway find premium.
OR you get a FZ1 and play hard on regular gas.... :rolleyes:

I'm as bad as anyone when it comes to comparisons (ie; shouldn't make them or compare my Yami to others) but I do anyway. I've only ever run Jap bikes and for the last 15 years Jap cars exclusively. In all my experience they are just bullet proof. Now, most German cars and bikes I encounter seem to have more issues. Consumer Reports supports this observation with cars in long-term reliability data. I would say that BMW has a certain panache and if one needs this then by all means one should buy one. I admit, I rode a one year old RT1200 before I bought the new FJR and I did like it. It was a very nice bike. I'm glad I went with the FJR because I got a new bike, saved 3K over buying one year old and there was just a naggling feeling that my overall maintenance bills would have been more than my FJR.

Bottom line - as many here say, Buy what you like. I would add, buy what you can afford and not have buyers remorse.

Plus, I don't think many other bikes can improve on this pic.

IMG_1163-1-1.jpg

Valve "adjustments" (Not checks) ever 6000 miles...etc. The list was long and cost a lot of money. I think you can make any modern day bike last forever if you do all the stuff you are supposed to do.
The Valve Adjustments take about 15 to 20 mins after you do them once or twice. It is VERY simple screw and locknut adjustment and the valve covers come off in 30 seconds they are just hanging out there off the side of the bike so they are very easy to access.

I rode a BMW R1150R before my FJR and enjoyed it. It didn't have explosive power or anything but it handled well carried it's weight down low and maintenance was a pretty easy task for the most part. There are things that are a PITA but you can find stuff like that on ANY bike. Like the FJR it calls for a steering head regrease every 8 k miles. That means I'm dropping the front end to lube up the steering head bearings every 2nd oil change. Infact it's coming up for me to do that real soon here it'll be the first time since i bought the bike.

I guess what I'm getting at is that there probably isn't for the most any "bad" bikes out there to buy. With any mass produced machine you are going to get one sometimes that rolls off the assembly line with problems you don't catch.

Valve "adjustments" (Not checks) ever 6000 miles...etc. The list was long and cost a lot of money. I think you can make any modern day bike last forever if you do all the stuff you are supposed to do.
The Valve Adjustments take about 15 to 20 mins after you do them once or twice. It is VERY simple screw and locknut adjustment and the valve covers come off in 30 seconds they are just hanging out there off the side of the bike so they are very easy to access.

I rode a BMW R1150R before my FJR and enjoyed it. It didn't have explosive power or anything but it handled well carried it's weight down low and maintenance was a pretty easy task for the most part. There are things that are a PITA but you can find stuff like that on ANY bike. Like the FJR it calls for a steering head regrease every 8 k miles. That means I'm dropping the front end to lube up the steering head bearings every 2nd oil change. Infact it's coming up for me to do that real soon here it'll be the first time since i bought the bike.

I guess what I'm getting at is that there probably isn't for the most any "bad" bikes out there to buy. With any mass produced machine you are going to get one sometimes that rolls off the assembly line with problems you don't catch.
I would agree with you and Wanderer, I don't think now days there are bad bikes. I don't mean to knock BMW's, they are great bikes and I really loved the way the RT I rode handled. Just talking to several people owned them scared me a bit. That and the fact that the nearest BMW dealer is a LONG ways away from me.

Love to hear opinions of this. I have a buddy who has 3 bmw sport tourers. His point is you get what you pay for, and quality on jap bikes is not going to be like the bmw.
BMW made their motorcycle reputation ages ago with slow, reliable, motorcycles that (generally) old men rode. They were, indeed, good (for the day...). In later years they've (BMW) continued to build a few very reliable models (early, in the '80s, K-bikes, for instance) but have also branched-out into what I like to call "Heroic Engineering" to continue to promote a concept ('Boxer' engine) or, to position themselves as a technology leader in the marketplace. Some of these efforts appear to abandon engineering's 'first principles'?, maybe? to the detriment (monetarily and practicality-wise) of the rider... :unsure:

This fine Ride Report (post #5):

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...mp;#entry749103

reminded me of a long-time riding buddy (who's a very experienced, well-travelled, rider) who says that he's never been on a ride of any consequence (weekend ride/tour, etc.) where, when there was a BMW along/in the group, that there wasn't a problem (of some kind) with the BMW.

I'm just the messenger, here... :rolleyes: ;)

Having said all that..., nothing will probably offset the cachet one gets when they buy the "Roundel" -- it tells 'all-who-care' that "You Have Arrived"... :aacool: :bike: