FJR1300 Sold In Japan???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shinden

Reaction score
I was wondering if the FJR1300 is sold in Japan or if it is an export only bike?

I assume the latter is that case but would be interested to know if anyone has some reliable data on the subject.

It is a slow night here, that's my excuse for coming up with this question.

From what I've read it is really expensive to license anything over (I think its) 500cc so most of the domestic bikes are under 500cc.

That's why they have so many cool 400's that are domestic only.

I don't believe they are sold here. I moved to Tokyo 6 months ago and I've never seen another one. (Though I do know of one other guy with one). Never seen any ads or anything in shops either. The XJR is around though.

So these will be one of those export/import jobs that seem to happen here.

I originally understood there to be a 750cc limit on domestic bikes, but then I saw some cruiser type over that size at a dealer.... so not too sure on this.

There are tons of 400cc bikes here, because the licensing cut off is basically like:

50cc - car license

up to 400 - mid range bike license

over 400 - oogata license, or big bike license.

(i could be wrong, haven't been here all that long to sort this out yet).

It is really expensive to go to classes to get the licenses above.

The real cost is over 250cc, where you have a bi-yearly 'inspection' equivalent that runs in the hundreds of dollars. domestic bikes have a 3 year grace period, imports have to have it right away.

if you are moving here, DON'T import your bike. It cost me several thousand dollars to bring in the FJR from the UK.

but there are plenty of dealers here who do the import stuff and package it into the costs. so most all bikes are probably a couple/few thousand more new than in the US. about the same as UK prices though (which are high btw).

-colin

IIRC the way it works in Japan is that 750 cc and above cannot be sold as new from a dealer. The bike has to be imported, say from Australia. As per Colin above the 6 monthly inspections cost a bomb. The reason for this is to discourage ownership.

Taking into consideration general low speed limits, costs etc. These imports are soon traded for a new import. The "old" bike generally has low mileage [7 to 10,000 miles]

There is a thriving business, in that dealers from around the world fly to Japan several times a year to bid on the almost new, low mileage bikes. These are then imported and sold in the various local markets at reasonable prices.

I purchased one of these imports about 10 years ago. A 1000 cc Yamaha FZR EXUP.

Apart from some wear on the Tires you would never have thought it was a used bike.

About 30 years ago I also had purchased a 750 cc Yamaha tripple. This had a large red light that came on when you exceeded 80 kph

Howard

Yeah, the low speed limits are quite annoying. And they changed the International Driving Permit laws a couple years ago, so they are only valid for one year from arriving here, so you can't keep renewing it like you used to. You can normally get away with a lot being a foreigner and not speaking the language....!

and to clarify (not that it should really matter to most people....) but the bi-yearly is meant to mean every other year. Always been confused about those terms, like these stupid bi-weekly meetings I got for work seem to mean every other week. normally I would think twice per week! (ok, i could use fortnightly). either way, it's frickin' expensive.

(goes for cars as well, so also a big market for 3-year old cars coming out of japan....)

anyway, pointless banter on a language i don't really understand....

:)

-colin

Always been confused about those terms, like these stupid bi-weekly meetings I got for work seem to mean every other week. normally I would think twice per week!
Bi=2;

Bicycle= Bi=2: cycle=things that go around

Biped=two feet

Biannual=two years

Bisexual=AC-DC

Semi=1/2

Semiannual=every half year

Semi=front half of a two piece truck

semianal=halfassed :rolleyes:

I live in Yokohama/Yokosuka area and have a 2004 FJR1300. They are sold here however, not many are sold because of the reasons already stated. Been living here for over 20 years. Affiliated with the U.S. Military (not in the military) so it's much easier for us to get a licensees on base for a big bike. I really feel sorry for all you guys that have to go though all the Japanese B.S. to drive a bike or car here.

FJR-Kevin: I guess judging by your avatar you are the same guy on gaijinriders out here. i'm theDude on there (something moderately more creative than 'colin' on this forum) :)

fortunately I have the UK license, so there is slightly less BS to drive here than if I had the US license.

maybe i'll catch you around this summer....

cheers,

-colin

Careful with the definitions.

If you've ever gotten your pilot certificate you know the meaning of biannual and biennial.

bi·an·nu·al

Function: adjective

occurring twice a year

bi·en·ni·al

Function: adjective

occurring every two years