FJR1300 To Be Retired

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignacio

Intramural Culture Warrior
Staff member
Reaction score
Several articles have been floating around about the FJR1300 being discontinued including several new and specific ones this week. Some articles appear to be just click-bait in their title and little to no substance in the text, but this one sees the least-sucky I've seen as of late. I place it as the lowest of bars since people want to engage in this type of discussion.

I make special note that this article is referring to JAPAN as a market. It does NOT include the U.S. or North America in the text. It also doesn't say that it excludes them, but does note they could still sell in less restrictive markets....which the U.S. (and presumably Canada) could be included.

It's still clear that the FJR1300 is winding down as a product line and we should talk about it given the subject of our forum. And I hope we can be deliberate and careful when we post links to article and/or speculate. Thanks in advance. ;)

https://www.rideapart.com/news/594286/japan-big-four-20-models/

Several articles have been floating around about the FJR1300 being discontinued including several new and specific ones this week. Some articles appear to be just click-bait in their title and little to no substance in the text, but this one is the most specific I've seen as of late.

I make special note that this article is referring to JAPAN as a market. It does NOT include the U.S. or North America in the text. It also doesn't say that it excludes them, but does note they could still sell in less restrictive markets....which the U.S. (and presumably Canada) could be included.

It's still clear that the FJR1300 is winding down as a product line and we should talk about it given the subject of our forum. And I hope we can be deliberate and careful when we post links to article and/or speculate. Thanks in advance. ;)

https://www.rideapart.com/news/594286/japan-big-four-20-models/
I read this one yesterday too, and I found it ambiguous as to what may happen outside of Japan.

The future, as in when the last year the FJR will be available in North America, was a topic of conversation at least several times in CFR last weekend. And the most plausible scenario I heard by a smart feller . He opined that part supplies of bikes available and/or parts made would probably drive what year its retired in each market...including Japan. That Japan part was answered swiftly after our time in Nakusp.

The big question remains whether 2022 was the last year or they'll do one another year...or maybe two year in North America? And whether the last year would be an "Ultimate Edition" scenario like in other markets. Then, of course, there seemed to be similar parts excitement and dread at the last part. Consensus was: That would be cool...and a big hit on our wallets at the same time....getting one of the last ones.

Why would 2022 be the last year of the FJR? It this bike has obviously been selling well enough for Yamaha to keep the line going for 19 years, and they continue to make improvements on it, so why would they stop now?

Why would 2022 be the last year of the FJR? It this bike has obviously been selling well enough for Yamaha to keep the line going for 19 years, and they continue to make improvements on it, so why would they stop now?
Start by (re)reading the article. Very first sentence:

Worldwide emissions regulations have forced many motorcycle manufacturers to discontinue models in recent years.

And no, they haven't really made an improvements to it since 2016. That was the last significant product change.

And since then sales have ceased in various markets including Europe and stopping sales in Japan this year. Could or will they continue to maintain an entire product line with just the North American market or would they reengineer the FJR to be compliant with world standards? I doubt both.

Last edited:
Indeed, the FJR sold in europe last year was called 'last edition'. Unfortunatly for us fjr is no longer available.

PdP purchasers started seeing their orders arriving in late 2002 for year model 2003 (us). The 2003 was closest to what auto makers used to call something like a 2002.5 with some items that didn't show on the worldwide 2002 model.

My '03 arrived at the dealer in August 2002 after a slight delay due to the longshoremen's union strike. The dealer told my dad (I was on deployment) that he thought mine was the first one on the road in CA. Not sure how he would have known that.

There’s been no plausible indication that they’re discontinuing it, at least in our market. But any sizeable reduction in sales (from the EU or other regions) makes me concerned as to how it might affect profitability and the longevity of the model.

Luckily, I have a 2022, so I should be good for a bit.

I was just at a Southern California Dealer today and asked him about the FJR being discontinued and he said he has the bike still listed for orders for 2023. He did not think it was being discontinued yet at least in the states. He has also heard the rumors, but felt they were wrong. He has seen no evidence from corporate that the bike is to be discontinued.

I was just at a Southern California Dealer today and asked him about the FJR being discontinued and he said he has the bike still listed for orders for 2023. He did not think it was being discontinued yet at least in the states. He has also heard the rumors, but felt they were wrong. He has seen no evidence from corporate that the bike is to be discontinued.
If this is true what you said, I'll be very happy 😌

Just seen this article:

https://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/guides/2022-yamaha-fjr1300-performance-price-and-photos-ar166013.html

A new strategy how to keep FJR alive is to rename it to Kawasaki :cool: ???

View attachment 2416
There a YouTube presentation of the 2023 Fjr. One is in black cherry and the other is a blue with a white stripe going down the tank. They didn’t say where it’s going or when it would be available. Damn environmental crazies. Who wants to ride a gutless, soulless motorcycle with no range?