FJR1300 top speed?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have noticed over the years that motorcycle speedos are never exact, at least not compared to a GPS. They must think if they indicate 75 and we are really doing 72 or 73, somehow that is safer. One thing I am certain I have noticed is that the faster you go the wider the spread between speedometer and GPS. Usually, it is only about 1 or 2 miles different. Above 85 or so and it stretches to 3 MPH.

And I agree this bike seems most happy around 80+. Quite stable and steady at that speed, not that I would do that anywhere but in West Texas where the signs are actually posted that high in places!

It's logical that a speedometer would be off a percentage rather than some fixed amount. If, for instance, it were always 2 mph fast, it'd register 2 mph at a stop ;) I actually had friend, a police officer, check my ZRX at 30, 40, 50, 60, and 70, and it was almost exactly 10% fast at all speeds.

Since speeds on both the GPS and speedometer are rounded to the nearest mph it'd be impossible to check with any real accuracy. It was interesting on a recent trip, that the GPS read 73 sometimes and 74 sometimes when the speedometer was set on 75. But then, it's the rounded difference between two calculated numbers, each of which is also rounded.

One feature of my Garmin Zumo XT is that it records my Max Speed. At least until you clear it just before the Leo walks up to your bike asking you “Do you know how fast you were going”? :cool:

Attachments

• Zumo Max.jpg
    Zumo Max.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 1
  • Zumo Max 2.jpg
    Zumo Max 2.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 0
Shut down after reaching 145 on the speedometer, came off a hill then down a straight stretch slight uphill grade. Scairt m'seff, and even had my son on his R1 nervous. My '07 had more in her but I ran out of courage.

Fully loaded, GPS indicated 153 and still accelerating. The front wheel started lifting with the road imperfection. Lil bit of a thrill. Southern Nevada heading to Lida Junction from 95. The Drs tell me I’m going to die anyway. If I go on the scoot it will be doing something I love.
Took the words right out of my mouth. Riding the FJR is like being a millionaire of horsepower.

At the old EOM group rides a certain young hoodlum from Jersey would taunt the ride leader at the end of the ride and then blast off to meet everyone back at the hotel.

One year, in a Oh No Mr Bill moment, I chased him down the highway. We were hauling, but still able to yell at each other on CB radios. In the parking lot he jumped off and bragged how fast he went. I knew I went faster because I had to catch him. 152 in WV

I thought top speed was 154. I think my 2003 must be a ticker! :)

At the old EOM group rides a certain young hoodlum from Jersey would taunt the ride leader at the end of the ride and then blast off to meet everyone back at the hotel.

One year, in a Oh No Mr Bill moment, I chased him down the highway. We were hauling, but still able to yell at each other on CB radios. In the parking lot he jumped off and bragged how fast he went. I knew I went faster because I had to catch him. 152 in WV

I thought top speed was 154. I think my 2003 must be a ticker! :)
You had a CB radio on you bike ? 😳

You had a CB radio on you bike ? 😳
It’s a 2003! I started putting CB radios on my bikes in 1980. I had never heard of Bluetooth back then.

Before gps times even. I used to load Delorme Mapngo on a pda for handlebar mapping. I’m an Old Dog don’t ya know

Forget what the speedo indicates as it lies at those speeds. Very few stock FJR's can top 155 mph. My 04's best was 151 (gps) fully loaded on a ride in Nevada. The real fun part is how quick it gets there.

Forget what the speedo indicates as it lies at those speeds. Very few stock FJR's can top 155 mph. My 04's best was 151 (gps) fully loaded on a ride in Nevada. The real fun part is how quick it gets there.

I'll partially agree with you here my -face only a mother could love- friend. Back in the 'old days' I did countless top speed runs on my '04 FJR. Top speeds by GPS varied between 152 -157 mph. IIRC, the higher numbers generally came with slight tailwinds, perhaps a gentle grade down, and a couple times without sidebags. Once, on a crazy day in Nevada back in 2006 while doing some crazy shit during a rally called White Pine Fever, I did more top speed runs than I can remember. No sidebags on the FJR, but had a Tanji fuel cell installed loaded with crap on top. I saw several 157 mph top speeds on the GPS. I also saw one 159 mph top speed, and once, with a hell of a tailwind from a thunderstorm squall, I saw 162 mph on the GPS. RPM was well past the 9k rpm redline.

I am getting old now so I have done only a few top speed runs on my newer FJRs, perhaps none really letting it top out in a couple miles but the top speeds have not been anywhere near my Gen I FJR. IIRC, more in the mid to high 140s. But too few of data points to form an accurate conclusion. I would have more attempts but 90% of the time for a while now I am running a car tire and it speed limits the FJR to around 135 mph. It develops a nasty weave around then. No biggie. Plenty fast enough for this old man these days.

Last edited: