Fjr1300 Wins The Utah 1088!!!!!!!!!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fastfckr:

As for speed question......the first rule of the Utah 1088 is that you don't talk about speed. The second rule is.......that you don't talk about speed.

I'm sure he was just under the legal limit the whole time and was aggressive about maintaining it.

Warchild:

Thanks for the props on my finish. :rolleyes:

I'm giddy inside and did way better than I expected. Watching the veterans helped. I finished, was reasonably safe, got no performance awards.....and scoring 12th was just icing on the cake.

George said he hit it and then the smell of burnt bird was overwhelming.
I don't know about you but the smell of grilling birds would have given me the munchies for sure and also be a major distraction. Thats 5 star gormet cuisine for an endurance rally. At least now I know where the extra energy came from to win it. :p

That looks like a Cox radiator guard in there somewhere between the insect/bird buffet.

Congratulations Ignacio. Awesome finish for a cherry poppin' daddy.

I had hoped to be there myself this year to redeem crashing my '03 last year but after the Cal24 I was just too poor and out of available time off.

Good job to George, Ignacio, and all the FJR riders that finished the Utah 1088 this year. Maybe I'll see you both next year.

Congraduations George! You must of been flying high to take two winged hits in the beast's belly. ;)

Ignatio spectacular introduction to Long Distance.

Good job to George, Ignacio, and all the FJR riders that finished the Utah 1088 this year.
I should have taken the FJR, because it would have been better weather protection. The mountians in northern Nevada/Utah were frickin' FREEZING this year! :eek:

But I took the XX this time.... here I am the afternoon before the start:

warchildXX_Utah05.jpg

Way to go George and Ignacio! I had a chance to have a beer with Ignacio at TechWest this Spring to help me celebrate my first SS1000 which I finished in Sunnyside. I'm too old and my eyes are too poor to tackle this 24 hour stuff but I love living vicariously through you guys! FJR rules!

Thanks Dave. The blue FJR's seemed to represent well. I was just thinking about you and your ride somewhere near Panguitch, Utah in the wee hours of the morning.

An '04 was #23, but he was anchored to a brother on a BMW and couldn't twist the throttle all the way to it's design limits.

Another '05 from New York encountered a deer and decided to knock off his right bag. It survived intact and he bungied it to the pillion. The forest rat didn't fare as well.

Here's a pic of me at 7:55 a.m. about to turn in my packet. The bike is amazingly clean and it's not because I was primping. "A clean bike is a gay bike.".....guess who says that?

We ran into a "biblical" (George Swetland) downpour of rain and lightning near Monitcello and it cleaned off the front better than my local carwash, off-and-on rain through the night, and the bugs weren't out when it got down to 39 degrees on I-15.

utah1088completepacket.jpg

Ugh, I am sooo jealous of you guys!!

How do you get away from the kids, wife, chores, and job to get to do these things? What type of budget does a Utah 1088 take to run? I'm hoping to get a SS1000 done this summer around lake ontario and erie, but right now I'm so swamped at home and work all I can do is my 60 mile round trip commute...sigh :(

Crap! And here I am thinking a 500 mile Sunday romp is an accomplishment! Very impressive, gents and my heartiest congrats!

Congrats Ignacio! Wow, 12th place on your first rally! Quite an accomplishment.

Another '05 from New York encountered a deer and decided to knock off his right bag. It survived intact and he bungied it to the pillion. The forest rat didn't fare as well.
Sure that wasn't from Arizona? I believe that was my good buddy Art Montoya from the Phoenix area who decided he wanted to get up close and personal with Bambi.

Here's a piccie:

aftermath.jpg

And for some more: FJR vs Hooved Forest Rat

Greg

Last edited by a moderator:
BlueHammer:

I think it was $235 to enter the rally. That gets you the entry, Thursday barbeque, banquet, and a chance at the drawing. BTW, I think there were 42 helmets at the drawing! Both Warchild and I scored brand spaking new HJC CL- 14s. That's probably a $125 to $150 helmet. There were a half dozen composite ones that went early in the drawing.

Steve Chalmers, the organizer, distributes HJC, Joe Rocket, and other stuff all around the country and also had a half dozen Joe Rocket Jackets and 4 or 5 $150 Widder gift certificates. A set of tires were also given away too.

My point is that probably 3/4 of the entrants scored a MAJOR door prize.

Also, at the end Steve opened the bar and we all had at least a drink or two before chipping in to keep it open.

Friday was a 9 hole optional golf tournament and I spent $26 on green fees, 1/2 cart, and rental clubs. Steve included balls and tees. Pretty cheap golf.

The rooms were $59 a night and a decent room. I personally went solo on the room, but one could share if you're so inclined.

You're traveling about 1200 miles in the event so you do the math on gas costs.

I spent $12 cash during the event. $5 to enter a bonus site at Arches National Park. and $7 for a six pack of beverage as a bonus.

Recap

$235 1088 Entrance Fee (worth every penny)

-$125 Helmet I Won

$150 gas (including travel from WA State)

$26 golf

$250 hotel for 4 nights

$12 bonii

$100 food

Experience: Priceless

Greg

You're so right! I couldn't remember Arturo's name. It wasn't the dude from NY after all. I'm not sure how he finished. Art finished though #45 I see.

Congrats to George and Ignacio,

Some day I hope I can put as much miles in a year as you guys do in a week!

Did the bird smell like burnt chicken on your pipes? :D

Way to go George, Matt and Dale. Nice work all the way around.

Now George, we talked about the no hitting animals thing. Try to keep it to things smaller than rabbits. At least the birds self destruct upon impact! B)

(where the hell did I get Bob from?) :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
You're so right! I couldn't remember Arturo's name. It wasn't the dude from NY after all. I'm not sure how he finished. Art finished though #45 I see.
I'm pretty sure the dude you're thinking of was on a Galaxy Blue ST1100 (repainted to Galaxy Blue, obviously). He, too, sort of "grazed" by a deer and it broke his right saddlebag completely off it's mount.

There were a total of 4 deerstrikes to my knowledge; none ended up seriously hurt.

Then there was a dude on a GL1800 who binned it into a ditch (prolly went into a corner too hot; I really don't know the details), but he broke his leg serious enough that it required immediate surgery that evening. :(

Congrats to George, Dale, Ignacio and the rest of the riders who for a job well done!

Sounds like a good time was had by most.

(Empathy, for the unfortunate few who hit deer and/or crashed, such as the GL1800 rider.) :(