FJRF002 thru FJRF005

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pilot2Wheels

Reaction score
Im looking at a few 2006 and 2007 FJR's, and being a new guy, I'm a little confused on a few of the gremlins listed in the new owners section. Hope you don't mind clearing up any confusion I may have.

1. FJRF002 is not an issue that Yamaha has recognized as a problem, and to solve it, aftermarket G2 throttle cam is the answer?

2. FJRF003 has become a Yamaha recall for the ignition failure issue. However, FJRF005 is the ignition switch, and has the same recall numbers. Are both of these issues really the same problem, and solved by the recall? Also, do I just call Yamaha customer service at 1-800-962-7926 with the VIN and they can tell me if that specific bike has had the recall done?

3. FJRF004 is regarding the altitude sickness, but I don't see it as a recall. Is this something that I will have to take to a dealer and pay for if the previous owner did not get the new ECU installed, or will Yamaha cover it if it has not been completed? From what I read on this issue, Yamaha shipped the new ECU to dealers back in Oct 2007, but will be for specific bikes that have experienced this issue only?

4. This is not a Forum Bulletin issue, but in the same section, it lists: "17. Check under the seat for the three (3) supplied locks for the bags & trunk. Some FJRs have been delivered with these locks removed." Is this referring to locks or keys?

Thanks in advance for any clarification you could provide. An informed buyer, is a happy owner.

Wayne

Im looking at a few 2006 and 2007 FJR's, and being a new guy, I'm a little confused on a few of the gremlins listed in the new owners section. Hope you don't mind clearing up any confusion I may have.

1. FJRF002 is not an issue that Yamaha has recognized as a problem, and to solve it, aftermarket G2 throttle cam is the answer?

2. FJRF003 has become a Yamaha recall for the ignition failure issue. However, FJRF005 is the ignition switch, and has the same recall numbers. Are both of these issues really the same problem, and solved by the recall? Also, do I just call Yamaha customer service at 1-800-962-7926 with the VIN and they can tell me if that specific bike has had the recall done?

3. FJRF004 is regarding the altitude sickness, but I don't see it as a recall. Is this something that I will have to take to a dealer and pay for if the previous owner did not get the new ECU installed, or will Yamaha cover it if it has not been completed? From what I read on this issue, Yamaha shipped the new ECU to dealers back in Oct 2007, but will be for specific bikes that have experienced this issue only?

4. This is not a Forum Bulletin issue, but in the same section, it lists: "17. Check under the seat for the three (3) supplied locks for the bags & trunk. Some FJRs have been delivered with these locks removed." Is this referring to locks or keys?

Thanks in advance for any clarification you could provide. An informed buyer, is a happy owner.

Wayne
I'm not familiar with the number sequence you're using so I'll try to answer "off the cuff".

Throttle cam problems are corrected "aftermarket" with the G-2 throttle tube by which the throttle tube counters the cam shaped cable pulley at the throttle bodies so the ratio is 1:1 like other years.

Ignition failure and ignition switch are related but not necessarily the same correction. There are those who've had ignition switch problems AND ground spider problems.

Altitude sickness was cured by exchanging the ECU with an updated version.

# locks, because some of us got our bikes and the side cases were shipped later. There should have been a bag under the seat with 3 matching locks: 1 for each side case and 1 for the factory top case if one ordered it. That way all were keyed with the ignition key.

Wayne
I'm not familiar with the number sequence you're using so I'll try to answer "off the cuff".

Throttle cam problems are corrected "aftermarket" with the G-2 throttle tube by which the throttle tube counters the cam shaped cable pulley at the throttle bodies so the ratio is 1:1 like other years.

Ignition failure and ignition switch are related but not necessarily the same correction. There are those who've had ignition switch problems AND ground spider problems.

Altitude sickness was cured by exchanging the ECU with an updated version.

# locks, because some of us got our bikes and the side cases were shipped later. There should have been a bag under the seat with 3 matching locks: 1 for each side case and 1 for the factory top case if one ordered it. That way all were keyed with the ignition key.
OK. So number 1 would be a yes. However, I wonder how many owners have actually felt it is necessary to do this aftermarket mod? Does it really make enough of a difference to spend the money and time to do? I would assume yes.

Number 2. You mention that they are "not necessarily the same correction". Does this mean that the two issues are not solved by the same recall (action# EA08025)? If so, how do you solve both, or find out that both have been solved?

Number 3. Who pays for the exchange of the new ECU? Me or Yamaha, and if me, what should I expect it to cost?

Number 4. So they are the locks. Therefore did they ship the side bags to owners after purchase, and then the owner installed the locks into the bags? Was this always the case (no pun intended :) ) or did a certain year or serial number start having the side cases shipped with the bike. Also, if there are three locks, the third one for the rear trunk case, do all new bikes with the side cases already on them include one lock for future trunk case purchase?

Thanks again for your response. I also posted this in FJR Specific discussion, and saw that I should have posted it here. To whomever moved it, thank you. Maybe one of the AWESOME Administrators of this great forum could chime in. Pretty please. :D

I'll add my input to 1 and 3.

Yes, many of us have used the G2 throttle tube and cam to ease the abrupt on/off action of the original on the models you mention. The real problem in my mind, however, is the excessive leanness of the air/fuel mixture, necessary to pass emissions tests required of the manufacturer. This creates a stumbling feeling off idle/at low throttle openings, which is overcome when the throttle is opened sufficiently--and BANG you have a ton of power. Like flipping an on/off switch. This problem is remedied by the installation of a Dynojet Powercommander. The throttle cam does not remedy the leaness issue.

I first installed a G2 and was fairly happy with the results, although I could still feel the leaness starving the engine. I decided to add the Powercommander, but at the same time I removed the G2. Presto--all problems solved. I still occasionally fail to roll on the throttle smoothly enough and the bike will jump a bit on throttle roll-on, but the PC remedies 90 percent of what the G2 fixes and all of the leaness problem.

With that said, many have installed both and are happy with the results. Personally, I'm happy with just the PC.

The ECU was a recall and was installed free of charge by Yamaha.

Number 2. You mention that they are "not necessarily the same correction". Does this mean that the two issues are not solved by the same recall (action# EA08025)? If so, how do you solve both, or find out that both have been solved?
If your bike is taken to a Yamaha dealer the responsibility to fulfill obligations to repair under said bulletin(s) are theirs. The exact cause becomes moot as they will repair the bike accordingly.

Number 3. Who pays for the exchange of the new ECU? Me or Yamaha, and if me, what should I expect it to cost?
The bikes that needed the ECU replacement were repaired by Yamaha.. I suppose it's possible that they might no do so at this extended period of time. A Yamaha dealer should be able to look up the VIN of that bike in their dealer computer network and tell you if the upgrade has been done.

Number 4. So they are the locks. Therefore did they ship the side bags to owners after purchase, and then the owner installed the locks into the bags? Was this always the case (no pun intended :) ) or did a certain year or serial number start having the side cases shipped with the bike. Also, if there are three locks, the third one for the rear trunk case, do all new bikes with the side cases already on them include one lock for future trunk case purchase?
Yes, they are the lock assemblies. The first years, FJRs were shipped to the dealers without bags (In Europe, the bags are NOT included with the bikes as in North America) and the side cases arrived separately. The bag/lock was a dealer assembly and my dealer (on my '04 and on my '05) did the assembly on a "ride-in" basis so I could then ride home with them.

Many owners opted to buy an aftermarket top case and do not need the 3rd lock assembly.

I assume the Gen II bikes are delivered WITH side cases so the 3rd lock should be somewhere in the owner's paraphanelia. Mine were in a plastic bag under the seat.