FJRF003.1: Ignition Switch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a question regarding this recall issue.

I purchased my new 08 last month and wasn't informed by the dealer that this was an issue. After reading around the Internet and researching, I find that since January of 09, it's been in effect.

When I called them about it, they said 'we'll order the parts and you can bring your bike in'

which is all fine and good, but shouldn't they have said something at the time I plunked my cash down?

I purchased my new 08 last month and wasn't informed by the dealer that this was an issue. After reading around the Internet and researching, I find that since January of 09, it's been in effect.

When I called them about it, they said 'we'll order the parts and you can bring your bike in'

which is all fine and good, but shouldn't they have said something at the time I plunked my cash down?

Maybe... It's highly likely they've never done one.

Should have been done before the bike was delivered.

Should have been done before the bike was delivered.

is it worth making a stink over, or will they just shrug their shoulders and say 'we don't care..we don't have to'

I checked that mine was done before i took delivery of the bike, at first there was some hemming and hawing at the service dept about it (trying to tell me not to worry that all recalls are done as part of prep but noone had even heard of the ign recall) but when I looked at the wiring, there was yellow stripe around the connector and there was a punch mark above the vin on the frame, so I am going to assume it was done :)

dealers suck! :(

I checked that mine was done before i took delivery of the bike, at first there was some hemming and hawing at the service dept about it (trying to tell me not to worry that all recalls are done as part of prep but noone had even heard of the ign recall) but when I looked at the wiring, there was yellow stripe around the connector and there was a punch mark above the vin on the frame, so I am going to assume it was done :)

it seems smarmy that they'd wave bye-bye to me as I rolled off the lot on a hefty investment knowing that a part could potentially fail and say nothing about it.

well.. on the bright side, I've not sent in my dealer review form from Yamaha yet..

Karma's a bitch, ain't it..

it seems smarmy that they'd wave bye-bye to me as I rolled off the lot on a hefty investment knowing that a part could potentially fail and say nothing about it.

well.. on the bright side, I've not sent in my dealer review form from Yamaha yet..

Karma's a bitch, ain't it..

I thought Yamaha directed dealers not to release any bike in their hands without the switch change, even bikes ib for other repairs. I'd say they have a huge liability if you were to have somthing happen as a result.

...and, I assume, the dealer gets paid by Mama Yama to do the recall work. I may be naive, but how does the dealer come out ahead by not doing the work? My guess would be that they were not aware of the recall - which of course raises its own set of issues!

...and, I assume, the dealer gets paid by Mama Yama to do the recall work. I may be naive, but how does the dealer come out ahead by not doing the work? My guess would be that they were not aware of the recall - which of course raises its own set of issues!

how could a dealer not be informed by Yamaha about a recall?

They say they've been a dealer since 1949

I'm going to find out first if they've ever done this fix to any other bikes and what the outcome was

and i should probably ask to see the darn part first, to boot

[cynical]

They get "compensated" by Yamaha for the flat rate time to install the modification. They also get parts "relief", meaning the cost of the parts to the dealer. They do not get their standard shop labor rate, nor do they get their standard percentage parts markup. In other words, there is no profit in installing recalls. And if they have never done one before the amount of time to actually do it may be twice or more what is "allowed" in the recall. In that same amount of time the mechanic could be working on customer paid jobs at the standard profit margins.

[/cynical]

Last edited by a moderator:
It all comes down to the quality of service provided by the dealer. I bought my bike by private sale. I took it to the local dealer to check if the recals had been done. they checked the vin and found that nothing had been done. They said, "no problem. We will order the parts and call you when they come in." They did and I dropped the bike off and they did the work while I was at work. They called me the next day because they hadn't recorded the mileage. At that time they also asked me how it was running and if I had any problems bring it back.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got my 06 A and have determined by Ser# lookup at a dealer that the recall has not been performed. My bike has the Gen Mar risers which require the wire loom bracket be removed from the triple clamp. My question - does the dealer have to do the switch replacement for free even if he has to work around a non-Yamaha modification? Has anyone had a problem like this? I'd like to be prepared when I take it in. Sorry if this has been covered somewhere in the bajillion pages devoted to the ignition subject. I confess to not having read every single word.

I just got my 06 A and have determined by Ser# lookup at a dealer that the recall has not been performed. My bike has the Gen Mar risers which require the wire loom bracket be removed from the triple clamp. My question - does the dealer have to do the switch replacement for free even if he has to work around a non-Yamaha modification? Has anyone had a problem like this? I'd like to be prepared when I take it in. Sorry if this has been covered somewhere in the bajillion pages devoted to the ignition subject. I confess to not having read every single word.
That is a very good question, and I would suspect that *most* dealers would try to weasel out on doing the swap because of the 3rd party top clamp.

Truth be told, the recall is fairly easy to do. It's a 1.5 hour job for even a noob. You just need a socket large enough to get the steering cap off and a head bearing spanner wrench or other tool.

That, and some patience and a drill to exchange your lock core.

If they give you grief, I'd shop for another dealer, or simply ask for the lock. That's what I did. If you were local I'd help you do it. I'm sure there's someone in your area with the tools if you ask for help.

-MD

They did the job a couple weeks ago and all SEEMS fine.

They slid me a bill for about a hundred bucks and when I asked WTF is that for, they did a little soft-shoe delay as if they expected me to pay. It makes me wonder if they have a schtick down that X % of people cough up the cash without asking.

after a bit, they went 'oh..of COURSE you don't have to pay anything'... it felt cheesy and suspect.

Brother's PowerSports in Bremerton, WA

That combined with the purchase, sales staff and delivery experience of the bike will NOT have me going back there in the future.

after a bit, they went 'oh..of COURSE you don't have to pay anything'... it felt cheesy and suspect.
Cool!

You can instead remit $50 to the "Buy the FJRForum.com Drinks Fund", c/o Beemerdons, Treasurer and Liquor QC Committee Chair. ;)

Cool!

You can instead remit $50 to the "Buy the FJRForum.com Drinks Fund", c/o Beemerdons, Treasurer and Liquor QC Committee Chair. ;)
That's why we wub you Iggy.....always thinkin' of us drunks the forum.

:wub: :wub: :wub:

Well, I just checked mine tonight and it appears it did not get the new switch guts before I bought it. I will be calling the dealer when they open tomorrow.

Thanks to all who helped get this going.

I had my dealer check the VIN. Mine was done according to their records on 03/03/09. That was a few days before I bought it. They are going to verify it was done correctly and stamp the VIN.

Has anyone thoroughly addressed the rekey issue? The only dealership in my area has basically told me to suck it up and deal with two keys. All of the locksmiths in the area have told me that they can't get the wafers I need and that I have to get them from Yamaha. Can someone confirm this? I've used parts from my trunk tumbler and rekeyed my gas cap to match the ignition. Now I just need the wafers to rekey the other three locks.