FJRF003.1: Ignition Switch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No indication of an issue with S6 spyder.

New ignition switch is installed & no sign of the problem.

My dealer was sending the bad switch back to Yamaha, kinda doubt that we will hear anything further from them on what the actual failure was.
Was that switch that was just replaced definitely of the new design (ie with the extra wire and the yellow tape around the wire bundle)? Or did the dealership screw up last time and just install another old style switch?

It would not surprise me if the new switches were also prone to failure. All Yamaha did was to double the contact area.

Not an adequate solution, IMO. A Brodie relay would be far more effective in removing the root cause of the failures.

It did have the yellow tape around the wires.

Rumor has it that other models are affected by the same problem.

I don’t think Yamaha is finished with this issue either.

No indication of an issue with S6 spyder.

New ignition switch is installed & no sign of the problem.

My dealer was sending the bad switch back to Yamaha, kinda doubt that we will hear anything further from them on what the actual failure was.
Was that switch that was just replaced definitely of the new design (ie with the extra wire and the yellow tape around the wire bundle)? Or did the dealership screw up last time and just install another old style switch?

It would not surprise me if the new switches were also prone to failure. All Yamaha did was to double the contact area.

Not an adequate solution, IMO. A Brodie relay would be far more effective in removing the root cause of the failures.
This is why I mentioned in this thread way back that IMHO the Brodie By-pass Relay is the ultimate and reasonably priced solution, which will eliminate any chance of IS failure due to electrical overload with either the new or the old style Ignition Switch. I have the BBR installed as well as the recalled IS so the only thing in this area I need to worry about is occasional cleaning/lubing of the key chamber.

Well, yeah... that and you still have to keep an eye out for those barking spiders
Nah, I didn't wait around for Yamaha to acknowledge the problem (fat chance from the recent comments I've seen posted) and fix it. When the S4 bit me I went ahead and soldered all the pins to the their spiders and added a separate ground wire to each (except S2 & S5), then shrink wrapped it, wrapped the whole thing with electrical tape and used zip-ties to relieve any stress on the new joints/connections - one less problem I'll ever have to worry about on this bike.

My spider bite occurred before Brodie and RoadRunner came up with their plug-n-play harnesses...but I'm happy with my workaround none the less.

Last edited by a moderator:
My dad told me about the Barking Spiders all the time, usually after he ate a lot of beans.

I made sure my kids knew about them too - every chance I got.
focus.gif

rolleyes.gif

Brodie

Well, yeah... that and you still have to keep an eye out for those barking spiders

I was having all kinds of problems with my Ingition Switch not turning on with out wiggeling it come to find out The KEY had a small Bend in it this was causing the switch not to turn riding at night i never thought to Check for a bent Key it was a Big Problem with a simple Fix :dribble: :rolleyes:

Hi Not a Biker

Welcome to the FJRForum.
A month or so ago one of our members asked how to remove the remnants of a broken key out of the ignition switch. Sounds to me that you dodged the bullet on this one. Hopefully you retired that bent key for good. It would be good practice to take the 2nd OEM key that came with the bike, make several copies from it and put it away in a safe place. Always run a copy - a good copy, and keep the original safe and pristine.

Since you have a 2007 - second generation FJR, make sure you get all the recalls done to it. Winter time is the time to have them done so your riding season will not be impacted. Of special importance concerning this thread (discussion), there is a recall concerning the ignition switch for the '06 through early '09 bikes. Yamaha has added extra pathways and an extra set of contacts within the electrical portion of the switch to better handle the electrical load. The ignition switch it replaced had electrical resistance damage issues that left owners stranded on the side of the road, miles from home with a dead bike. Check with your local Yamaha dealer service department to make sure this - and all the rest of the recalls have been performed.

You have a fine machine, a design that does a lot of things very well. With a bit of preventive maintenance, and some well targeted farkles, it should serve you well.

Enjoy !

smile.gif

Brodie

Last edited by a moderator:
Taking my 06 to the dealer in Tulsa to have the ignition and the spider problem worked out. This is the only time I'm actually happy its going to rain all next week.
yahoo.gif

I bought my used 2006 AE about 18 months ago with 38,000 miles. At that time, I called Yamaha customer service, I gave them my bike’s serial number and they told me that two safety recalls were done to my bike, main switch and wire harness. Two days ago, after stopping for gas on a 160 mile ride with my wife, the bike’s ignition switch failed totally. A buddy trailered the bike home today. I just finished taking the tank off and used a DVM to prove the switch failed. There was no yellow stripe of tape on the switch harness, and the frame has no punch mark to indicate the recall was performed. Tomorrow I will call Yamaha customer service to discuss. I am not happy that I’ve been riding a death trap for 14,000 miles.

Yamaha customer service confirmed their records indicate the ignition switch and entire wire harness were replaced in 2016 by a dealer in Wisconsin. Customer service wants me to tow the bike to a Yamaha dealer to have them diagnose the problem. I offered to email photos of my proof that the safety recall was not performed, but the rep was not interested. I gave him my phone number, and told him he should discuss the situation with his boss to see if they wanted to resolve the problem. I told him that if Yamaha didn’t resolve the problem to my satisfaction that I would contact NHTSA and prove that fraud was committed.

This morning I called the dealer in Wisconsin that supposedly did the safety recalls. Unfortunately, the new service manager has no hard copy records that show any service details on my bike. The mechanics have only been working for this dealer for less than a year. The service manager will speak with the old manager to see if they can dig up any records. He will also look for the new wire harness in their inventory and send it to me if it exists. The original harness is in the bike, with the yellow and black label with the part number. Perhaps someone entered the wrong serial number in Yamaha’s records and it wasn’t fraud? But, then again....

My plan is to replace the ignition switch myself and install the sub lead harness, not the entire wire harness, as I didn’t find any heat damage on the ground junction connector. I’ll wait a few days for Yamaha to call me. If they ignore me, I will call NHTSA and make my case.

Yamaha customer service confirmed their records indicate the ignition switch and entire wire harness were replaced in 2016 by a dealer in Wisconsin. Customer service wants me to tow the bike to a Yamaha dealer to have them diagnose the problem. I offered to email photos of my proof that the safety recall was not performed, but the rep was not interested. I gave him my phone number, and told him he should discuss the situation with his boss to see if they wanted to resolve the problem. I told him that if Yamaha didn’t resolve the problem to my satisfaction that I would contact NHTSA and prove that fraud was committed.

This morning I called the dealer in Wisconsin that supposedly did the safety recalls. Unfortunately, the new service manager has no hard copy records that show any service details on my bike. The mechanics have only been working for this dealer for less than a year. The service manager will speak with the old manager to see if they can dig up any records. He will also look for the new wire harness in their inventory and send it to me if it exists. The original harness is in the bike, with the yellow and black label with the part number. Perhaps someone entered the wrong serial number in Yamaha’s records and it wasn’t fraud? But, then again....

My plan is to replace the ignition switch myself and install the sub lead harness, not the entire wire harness, as I didn’t find any heat damage on the ground junction connector. I’ll wait a few days for Yamaha to call me. If they ignore me, I will call NHTSA and make my case.
If the ignition switch was done under the recall, the mechanics are given new security bolts, which they are supposed locktite and break off the hex head so they can't be removed without drilling.  When I had mine done, the mechanic was a friend, and I asked him to just put regular hex head bolts in, since I had a MCL triple tree top installed at the time, and may change it in the future.

If you need an ignition switch, PM me, I have a brand new one that I got before Yamaha announced the recall. 

If the ignition switch was done under the recall, the mechanics are given new security bolts, which they are supposed locktite and break off the hex head so they can't be removed without drilling.  When I had mine done, the mechanic was a friend, and I asked him to just put regular hex head bolts in, since I had a MCL triple tree top installed at the time, and may change it in the future.

If you need an ignition switch, PM me, I have a brand new one that I got before Yamaha announced the recall. 
Thanks AuburnFJR for your kind offer. I have a new ignition switch already on the way from eBay, along with a grounding harness. I picked up some hex head bolts at the hardware store for mounting the switch. I drilled out the old security bolts with a hand drill, what a pain that was.

Thanks AuburnFJR for your kind offer. I have a new ignition switch already on the way from eBay, along with a grounding harness. I picked up some hex head bolts at the hardware store for mounting the switch. I drilled out the old security bolts with a hand drill, what a pain that was.
Cool. Those bolts are a PIA.  you need cobalt bits and patience to do them

I changed the damn switch twice on my '06, once for the recall and later after getting the 19 code.  First time I contacted a person who shall remain un-named who worked at a dealership (great guy).  He sent me the parts and tech bulletin and I did it myself at about 20K miles.  Yeah, the bolts are a huge PITA. Drill press and the good bits required.  That switch lasted about 88K miles until it started popping the code.  Got a switch off ebay and did it all again.  And I had installed the Brodie switch  bypass harness before I did the recall, IIRC.

I just finish putting the bike back together with a new set of iridium plugs and a new battery. Electrical system works fine and the engine fires up quickly. I decided not to check the valve clearance for now, but will do it in the Spring. I’ll probably put a few thousand miles on the bike before Winter.

Latest posts