FJRF004: The 2006/7 Altitude Fix

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got my ecu replaced this morning.

first 100 mile impression: seems to have a noticeble amount of increased low end torque, raining today so couldn't get too

crazy. did break the rear loose accellerating at about 60mph. That was a quick pucker.

Did not change co settings and don't see a need to this time.

Donelsons in St Louis did the swap with no hassels what so ever.

My bike is identified in the bulletin but my dealer says they will only replace my ECU if I am experiencing altitude related problems. I told him I thought that was BS since I rarely ride in higher elevations and I am not having any problems at the moment. I don't want to wait til NAFO to experience problems that require me to replace my ECU. Does the bulletin say that only problematic ECUs are to be replaced or all ECUs identified. I think my dealer is being a jerk but want to make sure before I see the manager. Can anyone clarify this for me?
Sorry if this is already covered in the FAQ or other threads.

I've just picked up my new 2007, VIN RP15E --- 003702, build date 03/07, so I believe it falls under the range of VINs subject to the ECU replacement. I've taken out the ECU to verify that it has the old 3P6-8591A-22-00 part number (it's marked 3P6-22). Should I wait for a letter from Yamaha or just go ahead and ask the dealer to order the updated ECU? I should have asked the tech if he had replaced the ECU, or if he has done ECU replacements for anyone else. I didn't bring up the "altitude sickness" issue first thing, because I didn't want to give them the impression that I think my bike has every problem that's ever reported on the interweb.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Olson (fellow Swede??):

I just had my new 2007 (build date 3/07) in for the 600mi service yesterday, and the "stealership" called me about the ECU issue which I knew would apply to my bike after thoroughy reading this forum prior (I checked the vin and my bike #RP15Y...00664).

I was out on a long ride Saturday and got up to about 3,000 ft elevation, and detected some (slight) surging, so I told them to go ahead and order the "fixed" ECU and we will have it installed once it arrives.

I ride alot at elevations about 3,000 in the summer as the Sierra Nevada mountains are in my backyard so to speak.

Good luck with your 07 feejer!

biknflyfisher

My bike is identified in the bulletin but my dealer says they will only replace my ECU if I am experiencing altitude related problems. I told him I thought that was BS since I rarely ride in higher elevations and I am not having any problems at the moment. I don't want to wait til NAFO to experience problems that require me to replace my ECU. Does the bulletin say that only problematic ECUs are to be replaced or all ECUs identified. I think my dealer is being a jerk but want to make sure before I see the manager. Can anyone clarify this for me?
Sorry if this is already covered in the FAQ or other threads.

I've just picked up my new 2007, VIN RP15E --- 003702, build date 03/07, so I believe it falls under the range of VINs subject to the ECU replacement. I've taken out the ECU to verify that it has the old 3P6-8591A-22-00 part number (it's marked 3P6-22). Should I wait for a letter from Yamaha or just go ahead and ask the dealer to order the updated ECU? I should have asked the tech if he had replaced the ECU, or if he has done ECU replacements for anyone else. I didn't bring up the "altitude sickness" issue first thing, because I didn't want to give them the impression that I think my bike has every problem that's ever reported on the interweb.
Hi Olson,

When I took delivery of my '07 yesterday, I specifically asked the service manager about the TSB for the Altitude sickness replacement ECU, (also new from this board that my bike fell with in the window of bikes needing the replacement). I know I will be riding at different altitudes and did not want to encounter any issues. My service manager checked the TSB and stated that did not need to see the issue to have the ECU replaced. He checked that he had the replacement ECU in stock and replaced the ECU before I took the first shake down ride.

It's a known issue on the '06 and some '07 bikes, so don't worry about the dealer's impression of your request for information about specific issues. Make them do their job.

Thanks biknflyfisher and Sawanny, I dropped by my dealer this afternoon, and told them I wanted the ECU replaced per M2007-016, the service guy just said "sure, we'll order the kit and call you when it comes in". Hopefully I will be able to just wait while they replace it.

Ok is anybody else having an issue with even getting your dealership to look it up. My shop wanted me to leave the bike so they could test it (72ft above sea lvl) and of course nothing. I informed them what happened while going over a pass at 5800 ft and they said they have never heard of it and it is fine now. I am pissed and will be calling Yamaha directly because I do not trust my bike in the mountains anymore. I almost trailered my bike home but while waiting for the trailer decided to try to ride the bike again. I am going to go to anouther shop and try again.

Still love the bike but need to know it will not leave me on the side of the road.

Ok is anybody else having an issue with even getting your dealership to look it up. My shop wanted me to leave the bike so they could test it (72ft above sea lvl) and of course nothing. I informed them what happened while going over a pass at 5800 ft and they said they have never heard of it and it is fine now.
Is your VIN # on the recall list? :unsure:

If so, it should not be a problem.

clicky

Ok thanks to this fourm and having the tech bulletin number they finally looked it up and relized there was an issue with my bike. I rode it home on Monday and had to stop 7 times and reset while going over the pass. the worst on was doing 80 on a nice 4 lane sweeper corner with traffic on both sides when it studerard and then all but quit. Had to throw the bike up pull in clutch and look for hole in traffic to get to the side. Turn off key wait 15 sec and restart good to go until you drop anouther 200 ft or so. When I got to work this morning I called Yamaha and the agreed that my bike was in the group needing repair and even offered to cover any cost incured due to the bike breaking down away from home. I infom them I already had a room in Yreaka and was not out any cost just needed my bike fixed and my dealership was lost as too what was going on. A Yamaha rep called my dealership I called my dealership they appoligized for there attitude with me on Sat and said the parts are on order and will get them installed later this week. The store manager also called and said make sure and come talk to him when I come so he can hook me up and make sure I am good to go for having to deal with his maintance dept laughing at me say my bike was cutting out and going thru the trouble of taking the air cleaner out and checking the plugs( they thought I was making it up). there are 2 other 07's that were bought at this shop and they are getting fixed also. I can not say thank you enough for the info gathered here and the excelent advice from you all.

Nate

If you're brave, you can do as I have done in the past. Clutch in and shut it off while coasting. Off for 2-3 sec then key on and re-start. Saves having to dive for the shoulder and gets you on your way before the cages know there's a problem. I haven't had to do this since my ECU was replaced.

Thanks Warchild for bringing these to my attention, had a little proublem with my '07 a couple of weeks ago,(around 4000 elev.) hesitating when trottling up. Called the dealer said he has one in stock and taking it in tomorrow.

Thanks you guys are great....again

Ive read thru this post but still am unsure....I am going in for the new ECU, do I need to worry about my barbarian mod or will the new ECU work fine with the fiddling I did?

I never felt the need to do the Barbarian mod with the stock ECU nor the new ECU. But I'm still running a stock bike engine wise. So if you've done some other mods to the exhaust or engine you might want to reconsider.

Personally I would start fresh with the new ECU and go from there. IMHO the Dyno-Jet Power Commander is the way to go for performance and add to that a Dale Walker exhaust system and your good to go. PM. <>< ;)

If your using someone elses suggested settings for the Barbarian Mod, personally I would forget that and after you get the new ECU in and if any mods like the one's mentioned above, go find a reputable shop with a good dyno-meter and really get it dialed in. Just thinking out loud here if all that trips your trigger...PM. <>< ;)

Painman, thanks for that, I do plan to let the new ECU run things for a while and see how that goes. I read back a bit and jogged my foggin memory, the Barbarian mod is done to the harness, the ECU is just plugged into that so I expect the new ECU to work just fine. Hopine the new ECU is the ticket.

Regarding the Power Commander, I just removed one from my bike that was giving me trouble, just 2 years old and it developed a problem that I could not correct. The symptom was a stumbly bumbling throttle response off idle and occasional stalling. I'm done with that for now, back on the original ECU and the bike runs nice again though my dealer has agreed to slap in the new 'altitude' ECU..

I'll report back with what I hope will be a success story....thanks again man!

Painman, thanks for that, I do plan to let the new ECU run things for a while and see how that goes. I read back a bit and jogged my foggin memory, the Barbarian mod is done to the harness, the ECU is just plugged into that so I expect the new ECU to work just fine. Hopine the new ECU is the ticket.Regarding the Power Commander, I just removed one from my bike that was giving me trouble, just 2 years old and it developed a problem that I could not correct. The symptom was a stumbly bumbling throttle response off idle and occasional stalling. I'm done with that for now, back on the original ECU and the bike runs nice again though my dealer has agreed to slap in the new 'altitude' ECU..

I'll report back with what I hope will be a success story....thanks again man!

GAPS,

I did the ECU swap. The PO had done the Barbarian Jumper mod. Works fine with the new ECU. It just reverts to the factory CO settings, so you have to change them again to whatever you were running.

Just a note to those who might have a bike with this ecu issue...I bought my 07 and ran into issues at altitude on a day trip in to the Blue Mountains of Eastern Washington. I jumped on the forum read up then called Yamaha. According to their records the ecu had been changed at the dealer they had all the details as for dates and such. I assumed they knew what was going on. Then the ingnition recall came out and I went to a local dealer to schedule the work and mentioned the problems. They called and talked with Yamaha and told them that if the work was done a punch mark should be located in the front of the vin # in most cases and or at least in my case the ecu should have a #23 on it. (I assume the #23 would be a universal number for the new part.) No puch mark in front of my vin # so I pulled the seat and the plastic tray and found the #22 on it. I am glad I checked! I would like to think this is a rare case but it might be wise to take a peek at yours.

Took my FJR to a dealer in Michigan (it's a USA bike imported to Canada) for the MPG fix, ECU swap, and Ignition Recall. Had to leave the bike there for a week or so - their rules.

Got a call that all is done except the ECU. It's back ordered. No idea for how long.

Anyone else having this problem?? :unsure:

[snip story of incompetent dealership]

Your dealer is no good. They should have ordered all the required parts and had them in hand before you ever brought the bike in. Making you leave it a week for a couple of jobs that won't take more than half a day to perform is a sign that they really don't want your business. When I got my ECU replaced, I called, they ordered the part, and when it came in they said to bring the bike in and they would do the work while I waited. A little different than your situation since all I needed done was the ECU, but still- why make you drop your bike off before they even had the ECU? Stupid.

[snip story of incompetent dealership]Your dealer is no good. They should have ordered all the required parts and had them in hand before you ever brought the bike in. Making you leave it a week for a couple of jobs that won't take more than half a day to perform is a sign that they really don't want your business. When I got my ECU replaced, I called, they ordered the part, and when it came in they said to bring the bike in and they would do the work while I waited. A little different than your situation since all I needed done was the ECU, but still- why make you drop your bike off before they even had the ECU? Stupid.
A local dealer told me the same thing. They won't order the part until they have your bike. Said they were tired of being stuck with parts and guys never showing up. This was the same dealer's service department that responded to my question about the FJR1300 ignition recall with "That's a Kawasaki, right?". They will never touch my bike.