FJRF004: The 2006/7 Altitude Fix

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A local dealer told me the same thing. They won't order the part until they have your bike. Said they were tired of being stuck with parts and guys never showing up.
Actually I can see their point of view on that problem. But there are better ways of protecting themselves that don't involve them keeping your bike hostage for a week or more. There are dealers out there that get it. Unfortunately there are a lot of them that still don't. If a dealer told me they had been stiffed before and didn't want to order parts until I left the bike with them, I might offer to give them a deposit which would be forfeited if I didn't keep the appointment. Of course I also might just call a different dealer who would treat me like a valued adult customer and not a snot-nosed kid.

I hear you when it comes to what's fair, but I've tried three dealers in my area now and they ALL have the same rule. Tried to offer a refundable deposit so they wouldn't be left "holding the bag" but they all said "we can't do that". So I raised the white flag and dropped off my FJR.

Thought also that I would wait till I went on a longer trip and go to a suggested dealer further away, but who wants to take their bike to a shop during a cross country trip usually with fellow riders??? :angry2:

Now my main concern is getting the re-programmed ECU. Anyone know if they are available from Mamma-Yamma again??? They wanted me to leave the bike till IT came in, but they apparently have no idea as to how long that will be... I DON'T THINK SO!!! :glare: Picking it up today.

RE: 2007 FJR 1300A

I live in south Florida where the altitude is about 14 ft above sea level so I know it isn't an issue at the moment. However if I ever decided to ride in the mountains I'd like to make sure I have no issues. I called my dealer to schedule the ECU replacement. The service manager (who I've worked with in the past) was very hesitant about doing the fix, said my bike would ride like crap and I would get worse gas mileage if I stayed in Florida. Does this make any sense? Sure doesn't to me.

Is there any other advantage to having the ECU changed out? I'd like to get it done but don't want to screw up the bike. One more thing, currently it seems like I am only getting about 160 miles on a full tank of gas. The bike runs just fine, but this seems way below average. Any thoughts on either of these issues?

Thanks in advance...

-Max

The service manager (who I've worked with in the past) was very hesitant about doing the fix, said my bike would ride like crap and I would get worse gas mileage if I stayed in Florida. Does this make any sense? Sure doesn't to me.
I think I know who is full of crap.... but that's my opinion. I live in California and regularly ride from sea level to 6000 plus (did 4 trips like that the past 4 days). I never experience the '07 before having the ECU replaced as it was done before I took delivery. I don't suffer from "twisty/heavy" wrist but normally get between 40 and 47 MPG riding freeway and twisties here in Ca.

Sounds to me like he doesn't wanta do it...

Last edited by a moderator:
I had mine done.

Bike runs just like it always did.

The CO2 settings changed (back to factory set) but I just reset them.

I hear you when it comes to what's fair, but I've tried three dealers in my area now and they ALL have the same rule. Tried to offer a refundable deposit so they wouldn't be left "holding the bag" but they all said "we can't do that". So I raised the white flag and dropped off my FJR.
Thought also that I would wait till I went on a longer trip and go to a suggested dealer further away, but who wants to take their bike to a shop during a cross country trip usually with fellow riders??? :angry2:

Now my main concern is getting the re-programmed ECU. Anyone know if they are available from Mamma-Yamma again??? They wanted me to leave the bike till IT came in, but they apparently have no idea as to how long that will be... I DON'T THINK SO!!! :glare: Picking it up today.
I am still waiting for my ECU to come in. Montgomeryville cycle in Pa. opened a repair order so that they could order the parts ( Ign sw. Trunk, and ECU).

I made an appointment 2 weeks later and they did the Ignition sw. and the trunk. The ECU is still on backorder. The owner told me that they had to open a repair order to order the parts but I didn't have to bring the bike in until the parts arrived. Makes sense to me. Any other way and I would look for another dealer.

I just had my ECU / ignition swapped out on my '06 FJR at the local dealer. He wanted me to leave the bike for a couple weeks but ended up pre-ordering the parts after I balked that, letting him know that I use the bike to commute to work.

I had the throttle surge / bike jerking thing pretty bad getting on it in second gear coming out of corners at ANY ALTITUDE. I got a power commander and that didn't fix it. Barbarian mods didn't really seem to help much either.

The ECU recall fixed it completely. Bike runs great now and I couldn't be happier about it. I had basically given up on it and had just been limping through corners for the last couple years, until the dealer called me and let me know about the ignition switch recall and the ecu fix.

Thanks to the forum and thanks to Yamaha for listening!

I will soon have an '07 FJR. I am purchasing this bike from the USA but I live in Canada. Does anyone know if a Canadian dealer can (or will) do the ECU replacement on a bike originally registered in the USA? Not a big deal if I have to have it done by a US dealer as long as it can be arranged to be done while I wait. (I live within an hour of the US border in New Brunswick, Canada.) Dropping off the bike for some indeterminate amount of time is not an option. Although my location is by no means mountainous, I often ride into VT and NH; in addition, I am planning a cross-continent trip this summer which will take me into the Rockies. Can anyone recommend a good Yamaha shop in Maine where I might be able to take it?

Thanks

Ross

I will soon have an '07 FJR. I am purchasing this bike from the USA but I live in Canada. Does anyone know if a Canadian dealer can (or will) do the ECU replacement on a bike originally registered in the USA? Not a big deal if I have to have it done by a US dealer as long as it can be arranged to be done while I wait. (I live within an hour of the US border in New Brunswick, Canada.) Dropping off the bike for some indeterminate amount of time is not an option. Although my location is by no means mountainous, I often ride into VT and NH; in addition, I am planning a cross-continent trip this summer which will take me into the Rockies. Can anyone recommend a good Yamaha shop in Maine where I might be able to take it?
Thanks

Ross
Ross, it may (should) have already been done. I would suggest that you contact a US dealer (Canada may work as well, but not sure)with the VIN number, and see if it shows as complete in the Yamaha database.

You can also simply inspect the ECU and post the part number here.

If it says "3P6-22" on it, it's the old one.

I'm not sure which part number the new ECU is, I have a photo of my old one before replacement but I didn't record the P/N of the new one.

See this posting for the tech bulletin which lists the affected bikes:

https://www.fjrowners.ws/phpbb2/viewtopic.p...cf8782cde06fd9e

MOTORCYCLE 10/17/07 M2007-016

2006~2007 FJR1300A/AE

Poor Engine Performance with Change in Altitude

PAGE 1 of 4

©2007 YAMAHA MOTOR CORPORATION, U.S.A.

Units: During Predelivery Inspection (PDI), replace the ECU with the new version per affected unit.

FJR1300AV/AW RP15E-0000003 ~ 0004056

FJR1300AVC/AWC RP15Y-0000001 ~ 0000744

FJR1300AEV/AEW RP16E-0000006 ~ 0001212

FJR1300AEVC/AEWC RP16Y-0000005 ~ 0000226

Ronayers.com says:

ENGINE CONTROL UNIT

Mfg. Part Number: 3P6-8591A-22-00

This item has been superceded to: 3P6-8591A-23-00

So I'd guess if you see "3P6-23" on the ECU, you're good.

Ross, it may (should) have already been done. I would suggest that you contact a US dealer (Canada may work as well, but not sure)with the VIN number, and see if it shows as complete in the Yamaha database.
According to the previous owner, the ignition switch was done but he was not even aware of the ECU issue. I checked the list of affected bikes and the VIN for the one I am buying is in the range. I will check the part number in case the dealer did the ECU when he did the ignition switch. Seems unlikely that a dealer would do unsolicited warranty work.

Ross

Wow!

I just kind of stumbled into this thread, as my '04 has been showing exactly the same symptoms for over 4 years. When I start it in any kind of altitude (Even once when there was a low pressure front moving through our area) the bike just coughs, misses and once in a while just quits. (the Check engine light always comes on). Well, I FINALLY did a diagnostic check and I got a #23 (Altitude Pressure sensor). This is on initial startup only. Once it comes up to operating temp everything seems to smooth out.

I don't think my bike qualifies under this SB fix, but I'll at least ask my dealer what he thinks. For me it was more a nuisance than anything as I live at almost sea level and the only time I have a problem is generally when I'm above 1000-1500 feet, which is more or less rare for me. But I'm getting set to do a major maintenance and am compiling info on things I want to do.

DANG! And this sensor is part of the ECU? I won't even ask what they damned things cost! I'll just grab my socks and be done with it.

Are these issues present on the 2008 models? My VIN ends in 5086, which is 1,000 more than the highest number in the ECU recall list, but I'm having the same problem from about 9,000 feet on up.

Any suggestions?

Howard

Nope. Your bike has the later model ECU where the work-around was implemented.

Now, I found it very interesting that Yamaha has refused to rerplace the ECU in my Canadian '06, which DOES suffer the problem. According to the rep, there is no recall or service advisory in Canada - and my dealer has been unable to find one either.

I have an '09 model, a few weeks ago I was up in the mountains about 6500-7000ft up and my bike ran terrible. It was hesitating and felt like it was missing or running with only 2-3 cyl firing. As soon as I got back down to about 5000ft it was fine. Anyone had altitude issues with a biker newer than '07?

The ECU issue does not apply to your machine. Only '06s and some early '07s.

Have you got a PC3 or similar on your bike?

So, my 2006 Canadian model has the issue - I am interested if anyone actually received under warranty or purchased an updated ECU for a Canadian model...The US ECU update won't work because of the key chip. I might just buy a new ECU if I was sure it was actually updated.

I think you are out of luck. I don't believe it was ever a recall in Canada and I suspect parts might not be readily available anywhere at this point. You might pick up a used ECU from a junked 2008-12 bike somewhere. I got mine done a number of years ago but my bike was bought slightly used from the US.

I think you are out of luck. I don't believe it was ever a recall in Canada and I suspect parts might not be readily available anywhere at this point. You might pick up a used ECU from a junked 2008-12 bike somewhere. I got mine done a number of years ago but my bike was bought slightly used from the US.

You cant even do that - according to the shop manual, the ECU can only ever be linked to one dash panel. Once linked, it can't be re-linked to a different panel as a deterrent to parting out bikes. I tried a US recall ECU but no dice.

Yamaha Canada does list the part, but I'm wondering if it is actually different than the one I have.I'd hate to order one and find out it is the same part #! I might be better off to just buy a 2010-2012 or a GenIII and transfer all the farkles over. I have the bike dialed in to where I really like it except for this issue.