FJRF006.0: Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Often, a recall is announced by NTSA before the dealers have parts available. Sometimes before they know about the recall. I work for GM, and that is relatively common. The public has to be notified immediately or it seems like a "coverup" or something. So be prepared for possible limited parts availability, and some dealers not being aware of a recall yet. Just another reason for this wonderful forum. Thanks for watchin' my back bros!! :friends:

+1 FJRME. Although, it seems to happen a bit less anymore since the Dealerworld site came along. Just so long as the bulletins are being checked daily that is. My '04 TPS crapped out right before I sold the bike. I didn't have the time to get it to Sunnyside, so I bought the part and installed it myself. (They were good enough to sell it to me at what Yamaha would pay them for it on a warranty repair) I guess I may need to call them to see if there is any chance of a refund.

>2005 FJR1300T RP07E-0002237-0003981

That would include me. Funny how mine sat at a dealer for 6 weeks last year for this issue and all they did was adjust the TPS. A dealer last week replaced the TPS after seeing the output fluctuate (the original problem having not gone away)

Wonder if Yamaha will replace my 1 week old TPS under recall.

This is a duplicate post, copied from the Canadian FJR TPS thread. I'm looking for TPS P/Ns -- old vs new.

Mine is fine
Today. The TPS is a wear-out item, nothing inside it breaks or burns out causing a sudden failure. Many TPS have gone the distance, but a lot haven't. You are being offered a chance to improve your long term odds at no cost with just a bit of inconvenience while they have your bike. [Edited to add -- The TPS is a low risk install, chances of the dealer bungling the job is fairly low.]
A TPS that is beginning its death march may begin with little glitches that you could overlook for some time. Looking back, my first indication that the TPS was in the beginning phase of failure was a no-start episode. Then one day while the engine was very hot it ran like crap below 4k rpm. Then the 'surging' started getting worse. In reality what I was attributing to the normal factory installed light engine load surging was actually the TPS entering the middle phase of failing. At all times my TPS passed a diAG test and an ohm test. It wasn't until I hooked a volt meter to the TPS and went for a ride that I conclusively identified the TPS as failing. While riding my bike and monitoring the TPS voltage there was an incontrovertible relationship between a voltage glitch and an engine hiccup. In went a new TPS and all symptoms have gone away. While working on my bike a couple of weeks ago I went for a ride with the DMM hooked up to the TPS and the voltage was rock solid, as was the engine performance.

I called University Motors and told them I was looking for TPS P/N 5PS-85885-00-00, but when Gary looked up the TPS for my '04 Yamaha had a new number for it, a 5PS-85885-01-00 which is the part specified for the '06 FJRs. Anyone know what P/N is being installed as part of the recall?

[edited to add]

Boy that was fast! NightShine was right on it -- the facts:

Part Number....5PS-85885-01-00

Description....TPS (includes new seal)

Application....FJRl300/A

Qty............1

Dealer Cost....$66.71

Last edited by a moderator:
I've only had my bike as an example(and only for a couple of months), but I never thought that the idle was very stable on it, and I guess I was right.

Josh

I never thought that the idle was very stable
Your profile doesn't mention the year/model of your bike. If it is an '06 it has the revised TPS so that shouldn't be the problem. Has the idle wavered since new? Has someone that actually cares about doing a good job performed a TBS? If the unstable idle has occurred later in life, check the air filter, check for vacuum leaks, check the spark plugs (both gap and read for color) and be sure the boots are tightly on the plugs. If the needle wavers ~1-2k rpm I wouldn't be too concerned. If it wavers more than that or has a rhythmic tick something is out of adjustment or there is a problem. If you have just a wavering idle and no other issues I wouldn't take it as a big deal.

Wavering idle is a synch issue. Unlike a carb bike, fuel delivery is unaffected by airflow through the TB's,it's constant regardless of the air delivery. I've noticed that TB idle setting though, when off, will produce the "wavering", Frank can be adjusted to be absolutely smooth as cream at idle. Since the TPS is at a base setting at idle, anywhere from 15 to 17-18 or so, it doesn't really come into play until off idle begins.

Anybody get a letter from Mamma Yamaha yet? I'm sure we would all like to know how they are going to handle the logistics of the recall. It's really just a rhetorical question, cause I know when the first letter arrives, it will be posted.

I called my dealer yesterday and they knew nothing. Did not yet receive recall bulletin. So couldn't schedule an appointment for the fix. Said they might have a TPS in stock but I wonder if it is an upgraded part ?

From the NHTSA documents, these are the FJRs that are affected by the recall. Not all 2005s are affected.

2003 FJR1300R/RC All
2004 FJR1300S/SC/AS/ASC All
2005 FJR1300T RP07E-0002237-0003981
2005 FJR1300TC RP07Y-0000400-0000661
2005 FJR1300AT RP09E-0000873-0002293
2005 FJRI300ATC RP09Y-0000181-0000510

For example, as luck would have it, my 05 is not on the list.

Cheers...
I would agree with the red flag for us recreational readers. mine isn't on the list either. Rode it to work today and remembered why I bought it

My '05 is not on the list. Mine is from the late PDP that I bought in July of '05. Now I'm wondering if I have the new TPS like the one in the '06. Hmmm.

I got a message from Tony this morning... he said to wait a few days before bugging the dealers, since they (including him) haven't gotten the bulletin or part numbers from Yammy yet.

2411 checking in. Haven't noticed any symptoms, but I only have 16k on the clock.

Would you advise removing the Power Commander before taking the bike to the dealer for the recall?

Worth a chuckle:

Read this thread and on Monday ran into the manager and service manager for my dealership. They came over and said hi -- and knowing Gary (service manager) owns an '03 FJR, I was able to tell him a recall on his bike was coming out tommorow (the 11th) to replace his throttle position sensor......

Price of a burger: $7.50

Look on Gary's face: Priceless

You guys made me look smart for once :blink: Thanks :D

Mine is affected. This will be a pain. The dealers in my area are not reliable and I would not trust them with my bike.

This is a simple procedure (TPS replacement). Would it be possible to get a group discount, or even better, get the part through the recall and do the replacement ourselves.

Recall or group buy could be handled by someone like Gary at University Motors. He has a tradition of dealing with board members.

Some food for thought.

Mine is affected. This will be a pain. The dealers in my area are not reliable and I would not trust them with my bike.
This is a simple procedure (TPS replacement). Would it be possible to get a group discount, or even better, get the part through the recall and do the replacement ourselves.

Recall or group buy could be handled by someone like Gary at University Motors. He has a tradition of dealing with board members.

Some food for thought.
Not sure what kind of group discount you are thinking about. The parts should be provided by Yamaha for free. You may be able to convince your dealer to give you the part rather than having them install it. That would depend on Yamaha's policy and on the kind of relationship you have with your dealer, which doesn't sound too good since you don't have one you trust.

Interesting. I just turned 30,000 miles on my '04 FJR and haven't had any symptoms of a problem with the TPS. Not sure I'll worry about taking it in immediately, especially since my extended warranty runs until August, 2008. I'll let the dealer floodgate subside a bit and maybe take it in over the winter.

Lee in the Mountains of Northern California

I had mine replaced in the spring of 2005. When I pulled the bike out of storage it would not start. Took it to a dealer and got if fixed under the extended warranty.

Now my bike is in to get the tick fixed. I called about the status of the bike now. Was told that the parts are on order. The service manager was not in, So will have to call later about the TPS.

Oh the bike is a 2004 with 27000 miles.

My service manager called me yesterday - wants to credit me with the price of the TPS I had installed last month, plus the labor :clapping:

I didn't even call him or Yamaha. Real good service I'd say :clapping:

Mines on the list. No problems with bike other than ticking at times. :angry2:

I work for a Honda auto dealer. We often read about recalls in newapaper, before we get anything official from Honda. Dealers sometimes are the last to find out about them.

We have customers calling about recalls and knowbody can give them an answer. Have to check latest news online to find them.

Call a dealer (you trust) and give them your info. They will order all parts and set up an appointment when the parts are in.