FJRF006.0: Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fjrvtx1300s asks

Did they upgrade the part? Are they the same as the old? If so then why are they defective and why they are replaceing them with the same?
Scroll all they back up to post #43 in this very thread and read the last paragraph and the EDITED portion of the post.

FYI -

As of today, it's now an official bulletin from Yamaha. Contact your local dealer and have them check YDS.

Not sure about part availability, but wanted to tip y'all off. good luck!

-Skip

Dangint! Found out today I was on the list. Good news is it's only a 1hr job and they have plenty of the parts in stock. The part should be here in ~5 days and they can just pop it on.

I was hoping a TBS would be part of the job but no such luck there. :D

This is a duplicate post, copied from the Canadian FJR TPS thread. I'm looking for TPS P/Ns -- old vs new.[]

Boy that was fast! NightShine was right on it -- the facts:

Part Number....5PS-85885-01-00

Description....TPS (includes new seal)

Application....FJRl300/A

Qty............1

Dealer Cost....$66.71

From my dealer: Both bikes use the same TPS, the part number you have is the one that has been recalled, the new part number is 5FL-85885-02, and I do have all parts needed in stock.

BTW, the FZ6 (also recalled) and the FJR use the same TPS. I hope this doesn't strain the parts supply. My FZ6 goes in tomorrow and the FJR in a week.

Cheers,

Jim

This is a duplicate post, copied from the Canadian FJR TPS thread. I'm looking for TPS P/Ns -- old vs new.

[]

Boy that was fast! NightShine was right on it -- the facts:

Part Number....5PS-85885-01-00

Description....TPS (includes new seal)

Application....FJRl300/A

Qty............1

Dealer Cost....$66.71

From my dealer: Both bikes use the same TPS, the part number you have is the one that has been recalled, the new part number is 5FL-85885-02, and I do have all parts needed in stock.

BTW, the FZ6 (also recalled) and the FJR use the same TPS. I hope this doesn't strain the parts supply. My FZ6 goes in tomorrow and the FJR in a week.

Cheers,

Jim
Jim,

per the on-line parts manual, the '02-'05 FJR's used TPS P/N 5ps-85885-00-00. This was superceeded by P/N 5ps-85885-01-00 which is also the same P/N listed for the '06's. Does your latest info mean there is now a third P/N (configuration?) TPS? Does this also infer that the '06 bikes will have to be recalled to have the latest TPS installed?? I'm confused??

Jim,
per the on-line parts manual, the '02-'05 FJR's used TPS P/N 5ps-85885-00-00. This was superceeded by P/N 5ps-85885-01-00 which is also the same P/N listed for the '06's. Does your latest info mean there is now a third P/N (configuration?) TPS? Does this also infer that the '06 bikes will have to be recalled to have the latest TPS installed?? I'm confused??

Hornet,

I took the Feej over to the dealer today only to find out that the part number that I had gotten from the Forum and emailed to them was the correct one and the one that they had given me was the wrong one.

Long story short: No TPS replacement for me today. Apparently, Mamma Yama issued a second memo to the dealers clarifying the correct bits to use for the warranty work.

Score: Forum - 1, Dealer - 0.

Dis place be da bomb. And, as it turns out, the BOM too. :D

Cheers,

Jim

Just received my letter today, Yamaha will be sending letters to the original owner of the FJR's affected. There is a response slip on the letter for the original owners to indicate if they no longer own the bike etc. I suggest that if you are not the original owner, you check with your local dealer. You may as a second owner be affected and never receive a letter!

Hmmm, just learned about this over at the Road Star Warrior forum.....Some 'dem boys just starting to get their letters.

Mine is affected and it sits on consignment over at North Texas Yamaha. It has the 4 yr Y.E.S. plan, so I don't see any need to get panties in a wad, but I will go over and have a talk with them. :blink:

I just got my notice for my '05 (in So Cal). Wonder how long it'll take my dealer to get parts. They NEVER have a part I need...

edit - see here's why I hate dealers. Mine has two of these in stock but won't give me one because they are saving them for people who bought FJR's from them (apparently all two of them). WTF?! This is a recall and here's my bike. Fix the friggin' thing! Parts guy claims dealers are mass-ordering these right now so he has zero visibility of when he'll get more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got my recall notices. One for my 05', and one for my 03' I sold two years ago. Now, to see if the local dealer has the part.

Just a word of note on recalls guys, I believe if the dealer got the FJR by placing the order with for example an employee, the proper owner may not be recorded w/ Yamaha in Cali.

Vin number list for throttle position sensor for FJR1300

longer detail document from ODI, Office of Defects Investigation, NHTSA Campaign ID: 06V371000:

https://199.79.180.162/prepos/files/Artemis...06V371-6123.pdf

looks like VIN shown in document is missing a few codes, but I think the digits shown are the last digits of the VIN.

Looks like my 1300ABS is #557 and is not part of the recall...california bikes must be assembled better?

Tires: rear Pirelli Diablo lasted only 4000 miles until steel cords showed thru.

https://rides.webshots.com/album/379501533qmtRYW