FJRF008: Cam Chain Tensioner Survey

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recalls are for safety issues. This is NOT a safety issue so it ain't gonna happen.
To draw a comparison to other recalls documented on the forum, i.e., the "Altitude Fix" and the "Ignition Fix", a motor that goes dead in traffic because a cam chain tensioner fails poses no less a danger to the operator than a motor that goes dead in traffic because an ignition switch failed or an ECU that doesn't compensate for altitude changes correctly.

it would be akin to doing a "recall" on a rear shock after it is at the end of its useful service life.
Which is one of the primary reasons of this thread. Since there is no "useful service life" of the CCT indicated in Yamaha literature, i.e., recommended replacement intervals in the Factory Service Manual, perhaps some kind of data pointing to a "Forum recommended service/replacement interval" can be determined.

Interesting to note, during my research on past threads, I had gotten the impression from reading the many "cam chain noise" threads, including the ones I linked, that many instances of chain noise followed services requiring CCT de-tensioning, as in ticker fixes and shim replacements. In simpler terms, when the cams cam out, the CCT de-tensioned, then re-tensioned, a side effect was cam chain noise. But I'm seeing a lot of "random" replies, where chain noise began for no reason other than the weak-sauce CCT.

Also interesting is that apparently I'm the only one on the forum using a manual CCT, with Brodie next in line at his next major service.

You folks are doing a great job helping flesh this out. If you know of anyone, on the forum or not, who has done a CCT R&R, please direct them to this thread.

Recall-worthy or not, this info is gold and needs to be shared.

Last edited by a moderator:
A – 2005

B – 63,000

C – Replaced it myself at 64,000

D – Yes

E – No. GBM in Arlington MA said it was a normal sound.

F – No

G – N/A

H – No warranty

I – No

J – Randomly

K - I will trust the new model replacement part.

I agree. From that standpoint it's worth it. Recall probably isn't gonna happen, but we the community building consensus on the issue will help us for years to come. Thanks Howie for starting this thread.

A: 2003

B: 62,000

C: changed it myself.

D: yes

E: Self

F:No

G: self

H: I paid

I: Removed it once and retensioned but the noise came back so I installed new one.

J: yes

K: I dont know if the one I bought is the updated one but when the mood strikes or it gets to making noise I will install the manual one I made out of my original.

A – 2004A

B – 68,694 and 87,767

C – Noise started at 58k, progressivly got worse during the miles I was unable to get it to the dealer. Dealer replaced CCT under YES, noise went away. 2nd CCT developed noise at approx. 86k, dealer checked cam chain and cam gears, declared them and CCT 'ok'. Upon pick up from dealer noise was even worse than before, refused bike, got manager to listen to bike, CCT replaced under YES again.

D – Yes

E – Diagnosed by me, confirmed by dealer X2. Action Motorsports in Fairview, OR

F – No

G – Other service being performed at same time, (valve checks) N/A

H – Y.E.S. covered.

I – see above, 2x.

J – randomly, though the 2nd CCT was worse after valve adjustment, which was the first actual re-shimming.

K - I'll likely use the Yamaha part in the future. If installed correctly, and no attempts to re-tension it are made, it does the job. How long it lasts is still a crap shoot.

Interesting to note, during my research on past threads, I had gotten the impression from reading the many "cam chain noise" threads, including the ones I linked, that many instances of chain noise followed services requiring CCT de-tensioning, as in ticker fixes and shim replacements. In simpler terms, when the cams cam out, the CCT de-tensioned, then re-tensioned, a side effect was cam chain noise. But I'm seeing a lot of "random" replies, where chain noise began for no reason other than the weak-sauce CCT.
oh crap...something else to loose sleep over...my new, improved CCT purchased from Mondak has been de-tensioned, then re-tensioned: installed then removed from what was found to be my grenaded engine. The shop removed it without the tang piece and it extended fully. When I had it in hand, I retracted and installed the tang for future use.

I guess I'll be the test bed for new, improved CCT that has been fully extended and then retracted. I probably won't be the first install of a new one as I have 15k + miles to a valve check and usually the first one needs no adjustment.

I'll offer this: If someone finds they can't get a CCT quickly enuf, I'll be happy to send you mine, you pay whatever shipping cost/speed you want, and when your new one comes in or you can order one and have it shipped to me. I also have a brand new cam chain and guide pivot thingy available for the same deal.

A – the model year of your FJR - 2006

B – the number of miles on your FJR when the cam chain noise became apparent - 28000

C – what action did you take, i.e., replace the CCT yourself, have the dealer do the work, ignore the noise, etc., and at what mileage - dealer agreed it was the CCT and did the work

D – did replacing the CCT eliminate the problem, i.e., the chain noise - No noise and better low speed throttle control/sensitivity lessened/just smoother.

E – was the problem diagnosed by a dealer and if so, dealer name and specifics - I diagnosed it and took it to the dealer but did not say what it was, I wanted him to figure it out. My noise was a constant rattle, and was not sure (I suggested listening to another FJR), but he uped the idle a bit and the noise went away then started to come and go and it was very obvious. This was Brandon S at Katy Yamaha in Katy Texas (good guy!).

F – were there any problems related to the CCT failure, i.e., cylinder head damage/engine replacement - None known

G – if the repair/replacement was performed by a dealer, how many days - Bike went in after parts arrived (8 days for parts) and repairs took 1 day.

H – paid for by Yamaha or not/under conventional warranty or Y.E.S - Y.E.S

I – have you replaced your CCT more than once, including how many times, mileage at replacements - Only once

J – did the chain noise begin randomly, or did it begin following valve adjustment, where the CCT needed to be de-tensioned to facilitate cam removal - valve check was good so no cam removal. The noise slowly appeared and got worse until my HD riding buddy said my bike was noiser than his! by the way between the ignition and this he is laughing his @ss off, no issues with his HD.

K - if you are needing to change your CCT are you confident Yamaha's redesign is sufficient or are you considering replacement with a manual aftermarket design - I do not trust it. However I will just keep riding and listening for the next failure.

RH, u da man!

A – 2006

B – 30,000

C – Had the dealer do the work (30,000)

D – Yes, replacing the CCT did eliminate the problem.

E – Yes, I first noticed it on a ride, then it wouldn't hold idle the next morning. Then, trucked it to the dealer where they diagnosed the problem then ordered the part.

F – No, caught it early with no additional problems relating to the CCT failure.

G – The repair was performed by a dealer, taking one day to diagnose, one week for part to come in and then one day to pick up the bike. Dealer is 150 miles away. Then, got the chain one mark off and had another day/trip for that adjustment.

H – It was all paid by Yamaha under Y.E.S.

I – Have not replaced the CCT more than once.

J – AAMOF, i believe it did begin following a valve adjustment in which the dealer said there was no adjustment necessary ... hmmm ;)

K - I would consider replacement with a manual aftermarket design.

git-r-dan :beach:

hi howie,,i got back on here,,i had a my cam chain noise at about 65k n replaced the tentioner n chain on my 06,,,,happy holidays

Recalls are for safety issues. This is NOT a safety issue so it ain't gonna happen.
To draw a comparison to other recalls documented on the forum, i.e., the "Altitude Fix" and the "Ignition Fix", a motor that goes dead in traffic because a cam chain tensioner fails poses no less a danger to the operator than a motor that goes dead in traffic because an ignition switch failed or an ECU that doesn't compensate for altitude changes correctly.

it would be akin to doing a "recall" on a rear shock after it is at the end of its useful service life.
Which is one of the primary reasons of this thread. Since there is no "useful service life" of the CCT indicated in Yamaha literature, i.e., recommended replacement intervals in the Factory Service Manual, perhaps some kind of data pointing to a "Forum recommended service/replacement interval" can be determined.

Also interesting is that apparently I'm the only one on the forum using a manual CCT, with Brodie next in line at his next major service.

You folks are doing a great job helping flesh this out. If you know of anyone, on the forum or not, who has done a CCT R&R, please direct them to this thread.

A – the model year of your FJR 2004

B – the number of miles on your FJR when the cam chain noise became apparent Dealer discovered excessive play in chain during 26.6 Valve Check

C – what action did you take, i.e., replace the CCT yourself, have the dealer do the work, ignore the noise, etc., and at what mileage Dealer replaced

D – did replacing the CCT eliminate the problem, i.e., the chain noise Yes

E – was the problem diagnosed by a dealer and if so, dealer name and specifics Yes

F – were there any problems related to the CCT failure, i.e., cylinder head damage/engine replacement No

G – if the repair/replacement was performed by a dealer, how many days 5

H – paid for by Yamaha or not/under conventional warranty or Y.E.S Yes

I – have you replaced your CCT more than once, including how many times, mileage at replacements No

J – did the chain noise begin randomly, or did it begin following valve adjustment, where the CCT needed to be de-tensioned to facilitate cam removal Randomly

K - if you are needing to change your CCT are you confident Yamaha's redesign is sufficient or are you considering replacement with a manual aftermarket design Totally Confident! Engineers don't screw up! :rolleyes:

A – the model year of your FJR 2005

B – the number of miles on your FJR when the cam chain noise became apparent About 51K

C – what action did you take, i.e., replace the CCT yourself, have the dealer do the work, ignore the noise, etc., and at what mileage Dealer replaced

D – did replacing the CCT eliminate the problem, i.e., the chain noise Yes

E – was the problem diagnosed by a dealer and if so, dealer name and specifics Yes. Roseville Yamaha. Noise disappeared when the engine warmed up; service manager dropped RPM to about 850-900 on warm engine to hear/diagnose CCT issue

F – were there any problems related to the CCT failure, i.e., cylinder head damage/engine replacement No

G – if the repair/replacement was performed by a dealer, how many days IIRC, 1 and the 52K valve adjust was done at the same time

H – paid for by Yamaha or not/under conventional warranty or Y.E.S YES

I – have you replaced your CCT more than once, including how many times, mileage at replacements No

J – did the chain noise begin randomly, or did it begin following valve adjustment, where the CCT needed to be de-tensioned to facilitate cam removal Randomly

K - if you are needing to change your CCT are you confident Yamaha's redesign is sufficient or are you considering replacement with a manual aftermarket design I'd run Yamaha's new one if CCT noise came back

a-2005

b-55,000

c-replaced myself @ 55k

d-yes

e-no

f-no

g-n/a

h-no-was under YES, but have not used but for TPS replacement, for usual dealer service reasons :rolleyes:

i-no

j-not sure-alerted via forum-noise was present for a while however-never seriously loud enough to warrant concern

k-replaced with oe part-would purchase better design once confirmed IS better

Frank sees redline on a regular basis, in a hardcore manner (redline shifts, top speed fun runs)

A – 2005

B – 78,000.

C – 102,000. Had dealer replace CCT. It took some negotiating to get them to do it for no cash out of hand, but they did it with a smile eventually.

D – Yes

E – At third valve adjust, mechanic said the CCT needed replaced.

F – No

G – 1 week due to lack of on hand parts.

H – paid for by Yamaha under Y.E.S warranty extension

I – No

J – noise begin randomly. I didn't hear it until 100,000 miles.

K - Yamaha's original design lasted over 100,000 miles for me, so I feel the design is okay. If it wasn't for a few of you guys that experienced total failure, I most likely would have had to pay to have this work done. It was over $200 for the parts alone. In fact, I wouldn't have had the work done if I hadn't had the Y.E.S. warranty. I had the work done, two weeks before the Y.E.S. warranty was up.

A – 2003

B – No Sign

C – Replaced while the valve adjustment was being done

D – No noise to start with

E – Nope

F – Nope

G – No additional days

H – Nope

I – 130,000 km/80,000 miles - first time

J – No noise

K - I have 130,000 km on the bike and it was in for routine valve adjustmnent so there was no better time. The chain and guides look perfect. There was no no sign of the original one being bad but better safe than sorry. I am comfortable with the stock design since it got me this far.

Canadian FJR

Cam Chain tensioner replaced today.

A 2004 FJR

B 62,000 miles, some noise, not bad

C Dealer replaced at 62,085 miles

D No noise now at all

E I noticed the noise and requested replacement

F No problems

G Into dealer Tue, done by Friday

H I paid for the replacement, Parts $99.00, Labor $180.00 for 2.0 shop hours.

I First replacement

J Noise just showed up. Not much at all, did it now as precautionary maintenance, so can do many miles this summer with no worry about the cam chain.

Also had valves checked and coolant flushed. Valves were all within spec. Head was reworked for ticking at 28,000 miles. Bike has never needed a valve adjust since I bought it new.

Longrider

A –2006A

B – No noise at 30,000

C – Dealer replaced the CCT with the new Yamaha design at my request @30K miles

D – N/A

E – N/A

F – N/A

G – 2 days as part of a major tune-up. I pre-purchased the CCT for preventative replacement and peace of mind. Valves were within spec.

H – Paid for by me

I – Just once

J – No noise

K - more confident in Yamaha's redesign than the original. If noise happens I'll have a manual CCT put in.

A – the model year of your FJR - 2005
B – the number of miles on your FJR when the cam chain noise became apparent- 32,000

C – what action did you take- replace the CCT by the dealer , at what mileage - 40,000

D – did replacing the CCT eliminate the problem, i.e., the chain noise- YES

E – was the problem diagnosed by a dealer and if so, dealer name and specifics- NO

F – were there any problems related to the CCT failure, i.e., cylinder head damage/engine replacement- NO

G – if the repair/replacement was performed by a dealer, how many days- About 2 hours.

H – paid for by Yamaha or not/under conventional warranty or Y.E.S - Not under Warranty

I – have you replaced your CCT more than once, including how many times, mileage at replacements- Just once

J – did the chain noise begin randomly, or did it begin following valve adjustment, where the CCT needed to be de-tensioned to facilitate cam removal - Randomly

K - if you are needing to change your CCT are you confident Yamaha's redesign is sufficient or are you considering replacement with a manual aftermarket design- N/A
:assassin:

Don't know if Drewvanracer is around much, but IIRC he had a catastrophic CCT failure at EOM

Latest posts