FJRF008: Cam Chain Tensioner Survey

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 2013 fjr1300a. Something I've noticed lately. I'm approaching 54,000 miles on my bike, and haven't noticed cam chain noise, but my bike seems to have lost some of it's bottom end power. I'm 60 years old and have babied my baby, with synthetic oil, and regular maintenance on schedule, and so on. My thinking is that the cam chain has stretched enough to slightly retard the cam timing. I know from experience on other piston engines, that this tends to bring the power band, further up into the RPM range. Has anyone experienced this, and remedied it ?

Reduced performance due to a stretched cam chain isn't something I have heard of in an FJR - especially with only 54,000 miles.  Have you done a valve adjust?  Timing can end out off a tooth which will mess up bottom end power.  If valves were checked without adjustment, there is no need to slacken the CCT or remove cams so there shouldn't be any chance of being mis-timed.

I have a 2013 fjr1300a. Something I've noticed lately. I'm approaching 54,000 miles on my bike, and haven't noticed cam chain noise, but my bike seems to have lost some of it's bottom end power.   Has anyone experienced this, and remedied it ?
Papa54,

I doubt that a cam chain can stretch enough to affect performance.  I would be looking at the air filter, fuel filter, or maybe dirty injectors.  Blow out (or replace) the air filter.  Try a can of Seafoam (or other reputable fuel injector cleaner).  It will take a few tanks of gas to use up a container of fuel injector cleaner, so the results with that option will probably be gradual, but may be noticeable.

A careless valve clearance  adjustment (not just a checkout) could have left you with a mis-timed valve train, as stated above, and the results would be what you describe.  Not a worry, though, if your valves were still in spec for the check.

More generally, check that the bike has a strong battery (never been flattened), and has the correct voltage.  Clean battery connections may help (each battery cable has two ends).  I don't have the FSM for that year, but there should be a spec for the battery voltage when off, and while running.  You can get cheap LED voltage readouts which can monitor the electrical power in flight.  Various LED colors are available.  Some little readouts can be mounted flat in the panel, like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/indicator-Backlight,Waterproof-voltmeter-Batteries-Lead-acid/dp/B08BX13TYY

Any drop in electrical power in flight can be a problem, but may not be seen unless riding.

Beyond that, spark plugs and high-voltage wires may need attention, if all else fails.  Make sure that everything has a good ground connection, that needs one.  HTH.

I have a 2013 fjr1300a. Something I've noticed lately. I'm approaching 54,000 miles on my bike, and haven't noticed cam chain noise, but my bike seems to have lost some of it's bottom end power. I'm 60 years old and have babied my baby, with synthetic oil, and regular maintenance on schedule, and so on. My thinking is that the cam chain has stretched enough to slightly retard the cam timing. I know from experience on other piston engines, that this tends to bring the power band, further up into the RPM range. Has anyone experienced this, and remedied it ?
I know I am posting quite late from this post, but wanted to offer insight if the problem has persisted - if you've ever replaced your spark plugs. I got a hold of some counterfeit spark plugs from Amazon, which notably reduced the performance of the bike. Reinstalled a set of "real" spark plugs and performance is back...

Thought I'd post up on this Cam Chain Tensioner Survey, don't know that I responded when I replaced it the first time and not going to look.

2007 FJR A Model

In January of 2012 at 55,660 I replaced the first one just as a precaution with a blue dot tensioner as there had been a lot of talk on the issue for a few years.

6/2021

Our friend escapefjrtist (George) was over helping me re set the O2 setting per Ivan's instructions for the Gen II re flash of the ECU that Ivan has done. Once we got done and before installing the hand me down PNW ECU we fired the bike up to insure we hadn't messed anything up. While waiting for the bike to cycle the cooling fans George blipped the throttle and then a couple more times and said listen to this, that is your cam chain rattling! So at 118,650 I ordered a new tensioner (green dot this time) and yesterday it got installed.

Kind of the wrong time of year to be working on your ride here in the PNW but not really a big deal as I have my Tenere to ride, It was also time do for lots of other thing's so while waiting for the parts it got it's fourth valve check (motor has been rock steady with no movement), bake and clutch bleed, replaced some Wheatie Thins PR4's, cleaned the K & N air cleaner, adding the Smart Turn auto cancel for the blinkers, greasing the relay arm, cleaning and lubing the lever's.

Best part was George and Dave the Pie tart came over and spent six hours helping me out!

FJRF008: Cam Chain Tensioner Survey​

Help Support FJRForum:​

BECOME A SUPPORTING MEMBER
pixel.gif
1 of 11Next Last
Watch
[IMG alt="RadioHowie"]https://www.fjrforum.com/data/avatars/m/0/426.jpg?1635375692[/IMG]

RadioHowie

I Miss Beemerdons!​

There have been numerous posts and questions over the years of this forum’s existence concerning noisy cam chains, due to the OEM cam chain tensioner not being up to the task.

There have also been documented disastrous results from cam chain tensioner failures, resulting in destruction of the valve train and expensive follow-up repairs. Incidentally, all four documented cases of catastrophic cam chain tensioner failures involved 2004 model motors, however there easily might be other, forum-undocumented failures resulting in engine damage in other model years.

A cursory examination of past posts involving cam chain noise emanating from the right side of the motor indicates the original OEM cam chain tensioner (hereafter referred to as CCT) has a finite life, although Yamaha doesn’t suggest a maintenance or replacement schedule for the original part.

However, there seems to be an indication that Yamaha is aware of a problem, considering a recent design and part number change for the OEM unit with forum members who have replaced their OEM unit with the updated model indicating the new replacement part incorporates a longer shaft in the adjustment mechanism, providing more extension of the adjusting shaft at less spring deflection, effectively improving the capabilities of the design, and possibly providing a longer MTBF (mean time between failure) for the OEM replacement .

From my investigations, reported cam chain noise has come as early as 7,000 miles, or as late as over 110,000 miles, so there doesn’t seem to be a pattern for early failure in the OEM CCT. However, after reading many of the threads involving cam chain noise and CCT replacements, it could be deduced that many of the failure issues have immediately, or at a reasonably short time, followed a valve adjustment, where the CCT had been retracted for cam removal.

What follows is a list of random forum posts involving cam chain noise:

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

Indications from “autopsied” CCTs seem to demonstrate that some OEM units displayed much less tension in the spring than others do, hinting that assembly of the OEM unit may be a factor in short-life failures, as the OEM unit can be assembled with differing levels of spring tension.

[SIZE=10pt]The purpose of this thread is to determine, by survey, if you have experienced cam chain noise and what action was taken to eliminate the noise. With consolidated information we might be able to provide Yamaha positive feedback or maybe push for a recall.[/SIZE]

If you wish to participate in the survey, please indicate

A – 2005

B – 20k
C – replaced myself
D – I believe so but so far all I could do was warm it up in the garage (weather)

E – nope, diagnosed on this forum
F – no

G – N/A

H – N/A

I – no

J – randomly

K - used Yamaha’s green dot part

63000 miles
Sudden sound of marbles in engine at low speed/rpm. Zero warning.
Took out valves/piston, timing chain, cam and crank teeth.

63000 miles
Sudden sound of marbles in engine at low speed/rpm. Zero warning.
Took out valves/piston, timing chain, cam and crank teeth.
Ouch! First CCT failure I heard of since the 2007 model year! Saw your "for sale" listing. Engines often come up on ebay for around $1000 - someone might replace just the top end but I suspect a whole new engine is the best bet. Sounds like catastrophic failure! It would be interesting to do a post mortem on the CCT. I wonder if it stuck or if the spring fractured? I assume it was a "blue dot" CCT.

Last edited:
Not sure of the dot color. Forgot to mention that I had it replaced when valves where checked at 30,000 miles. Engine swap is not my thing. Always said when this bike was dead I would never own another. But was planning on this one for another 5 years.

Not sure of the dot color. Forgot to mention that I had it replaced when valves where checked at 30,000 miles. Engine swap is not my thing. Always said when this bike was dead I would never own another. But was planning on this one for another 5 years.
Do you know for a fact that it was actually replaced?
Where's the one that failed? I'd be interested in knowing if it had a dot of paint on it.

Do you know for a fact that it was actually replaced?
Where's the one that failed? I'd be interested in knowing if it had a dot of paint on it.
Yamaha started using the improved CCT in late 2007 so the unit in the 2009 should have been good. Rather than wondering if it was actually replaced, is there a chance it was replaced with old stock? I would also be interested in knowing if it had a blue or green paint dot on the side.

Yamaha started using the improved CCT in late 2007 so the unit in the 2009 should have been good. Rather than wondering if it was actually replaced, is there a chance it was replaced with old stock? I would also be interested in knowing if it had a blue or green paint dot on the side.
I believe you read only the first sentence of my post. Here's the rest:
"Where's the one that failed? I'd be interested in knowing if it had a dot of paint on it.".

I believe you read only the first sentence of my post. Here's the rest:
"Where's the one that failed? I'd be interested in knowing if it had a dot of paint on it.".
I read it all. I wasn't speculating whether it had been replaced but if it had been done with an old stock part ('09 should have had the superseded CCT). Replaced or not, we are both interested in the presence (or absence) of a paint dot. It would be good to know if we should all be looking (or listening) for CCT issues.

Bought my 03 used last year. I noticed the
noise on the test ride. The owner said it started on his ride across Canada in the days before I bought it (for a very good price!). I knew what it was and what I was getting into. Rode it for a couple months and decided I didn’t want to play Russian Roulette. It was super easy to replace less than two hours. Ground down a ratcheting 8mm box end, and that was all I needed other than allen wrenches and a zip tie.
Worked out to around $300 Canadian for peace of mind.

A-2003

B-46,000 miles

C-replaced myself

D-yes

E-no. Self

F-no

G-n/a

H-n/a

I-once

J-randomly

K-Yamaha

There have been numerous posts and questions over the years of this forum’s existence concerning noisy cam chains, due to the OEM cam chain tensioner not being up to the task.

There have also been documented disastrous results from cam chain tensioner failures, resulting in destruction of the valve train and expensive follow-up repairs. Incidentally, all four documented cases of catastrophic cam chain tensioner failures involved 2004 model motors, however there easily might be other, forum-undocumented failures resulting in engine damage in other model years.

A cursory examination of past posts involving cam chain noise emanating from the right side of the motor indicates the original OEM cam chain tensioner (hereafter referred to as CCT) has a finite life, although Yamaha doesn’t suggest a maintenance or replacement schedule for the original part.

However, there seems to be an indication that Yamaha is aware of a problem, considering a recent design and part number change for the OEM unit with forum members who have replaced their OEM unit with the updated model indicating the new replacement part incorporates a longer shaft in the adjustment mechanism, providing more extension of the adjusting shaft at less spring deflection, effectively improving the capabilities of the design, and possibly providing a longer MTBF (mean time between failure) for the OEM replacement .

From my investigations, reported cam chain noise has come as early as 7,000 miles, or as late as over 110,000 miles, so there doesn’t seem to be a pattern for early failure in the OEM CCT. However, after reading many of the threads involving cam chain noise and CCT replacements, it could be deduced that many of the failure issues have immediately, or at a reasonably short time, followed a valve adjustment, where the CCT had been retracted for cam removal.

What follows is a list of random forum posts involving cam chain noise:

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

HERE

Indications from “autopsied” CCTs seem to demonstrate that some OEM units displayed much less tension in the spring than others do, hinting that assembly of the OEM unit may be a factor in short-life failures, as the OEM unit can be assembled with differing levels of spring tension.

[SIZE=10pt]The purpose of this thread is to determine, by survey, if you have experienced cam chain noise and what action was taken to eliminate the noise. With consolidated information we might be able to provide Yamaha positive feedback or maybe push for a recall.[/SIZE]

If you wish to participate in the survey, please indicate

A – the model year of your FJR

B – the number of miles on your FJR when the cam chain noise became apparent

C – what action did you take, i.e., replace the CCT yourself, have the dealer do the work, ignore the noise, etc., and at what mileage

D – did replacing the CCT eliminate the problem, i.e., the chain noise

E – was the problem diagnosed by a dealer and if so, dealer name and specifics

F – were there any problems related to the CCT failure, i.e., cylinder head damage/engine replacement

G – if the repair/replacement was performed by a dealer, how many days

H – paid for by Yamaha or not/under conventional warranty or Y.E.S

I – have you replaced your CCT more than once, including how many times, mileage at replacements

J – did the chain noise begin randomly, or did it begin following valve adjustment, where the CCT needed to be de-tensioned to facilitate cam removal

K - if you are needing to change your CCT are you confident Yamaha's redesign is sufficient or are you considering replacement with a manual aftermarket design

This survey is strictly informative. Please, let’s keep it that way.

To kick things off, I'll use my own experience to fill in the survey:

A - 2004

B - 39,000 miles when the noise began, 46,000 miles when the CCT failed completely, destroying my cylinder head

C - I (unfortunately) ignored the noise until it was too late

D - Not applicable in my situation. Replacement motor was installed after "B"

E - The dealer, Sky Powersports, Lakeland, Florida, told me "they all sound like that"

F - Motor replacement due to destroyed valve train

G - Not applicable. Motor replacement done by myself

H - No Y.E.S. Replacement motor funded by forum generosity

I - No replacement in original motor. OEM replaced with manual aftermarket model in replacement motor

J - Chain noise began randomly. Not associated with valve adjustment or cam removal

K - I wouldn't trust my FJR with the OEM unit, re-designed or not. Replaced with manual unit from APE

If you participate, please snip and respond with survey info only.

Thanks,

‘Howie

Admin Note: After building this thread with great diligence from the thread starter and forum contribution, this issue has been assigned for forum use FJRF008: Cam Chain Tensioner Failures. Although the issue does not have any known formal Yamaha Technical Bulletin, feel free to use this term and reference this thread when working with Yamaha dealers or Yamaha Corporate with warranty coverage. Perhaps they will too acknowledge the issue formally and assign a technical bulletin.
Stupid question here..... I just bought my 06 AE. What does the noise sound like? I had an over heat problem and thought I was hearing bearing noise from water pump on right side but now I'm wondering if it's not the CCT.

It has been described as "marbles in a can". Typically goes away once bike is warmed up.
If the CCT hasn't been changed then it needs to be done. '07 and earlier have the old style CCT which could fail and wreck your engine.
If you are not sure, the newer CCT has a green or blue paint dot on the side of the mounting flange.