FJRF009.0: Ground Spider Research

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And what of the '10 and '11 model years?
My '11 has spiders, just the same as my '06 had. So far, no trouble (knocks on wood).
Have you noticed any change in numbers of pins per connector, wire gauge, pin type, connector type, stamped metal shorting spider or cap that covers the spider? Or, anything else that may indicate a design or parts change?

And what of the '10 and '11 model years?
My '11 has spiders, just the same as my '06 had. So far, no trouble (knocks on wood).
Have you noticed any change in numbers of pins per connector, wire gauge, pin type, connector type, stamped metal shorting spider or cap that covers the spider? Or, anything else that may indicate a design or parts change?
I removed the ones under the tank to put some petroleum jelly on them. Had there been any significant difference I would definitely have noticed. They looked identical to me, but it is conceivable they are of different material or plating.

Certainly the same basic design, and no difference in the loom in their vicinity.

My own opinion is that the wiring, in itself, is adequate for purpose. it's simply corrosion in the connector that causes the burning. Eliminate the connector, there would be no problem.

Hot off the press - Recall letters apparently went out to Canadian customers yesterday. (I wonder if our postal strike delayed this? They've just been forced back to work.) I asked my mech to lube my ground spiders while he was doing my valve service today and he called me to let me know that he just received a copy of the customer letter and the dealer letter announcing the recall. His contact at Yamaha couldn't give him any technical details on what the recall will involve so that news will have to wait. He offered to hold onto my bike until he can get the recall kit installed, whatever that entails, but as he saw no evidence of problems with mine, I'll pick it up and get it back into them as soon as the kit is ready.

Good news, timely for me as I only picked up on this problem a couple weeks back.

Thanks to all who've pressured Yamaha to do the responsible thing.

This is the wording of the Intent to Recall letter provided to Canadian dealer's. The notifications were supposed to have been mailed yesterday here in Canada.

Intent to Recall 2006 ~ 2009 FJR13A/AE Motorcycles

June 27, 2011

Yamaha Motor Co., Ltd. has determined a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in

2006 ~ 2009 FJR13A/AE model motorcycles. In affected motorcycles, the ground joint

connector of the wire harness could overheat and become deformed, possibly causing an

intermittent ground wire connection. If the electrical system is not properly grounded, the

ignition system and/or other electrical components could malfunction, which could cause the

engine to stall. If this happens while the motorcycle is being ridden, there could be a crash

resulting in injury or death.

Yamaha intends to recall these motorcycles; a Technical Bulletin with all necessary information

will be provided in the near future.

Until then, please suspend sale of any new 2006 ~ 2009 FJR13A/AE motorcycles.

As with all safety recall campaigns, Yamaha will be notifying all registered owners of affected

units by mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.