FJRF009.1: Intermittent Ground Wire

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this different from the recall letter that was posted back in 2009?...It states that: "What you should do now: Do not operate your motorcycle until this important modification is performed."
Yes, so far this is different. All we have received is an Intent To Recall. The PDF that you linked to is the actual Technical Bulletin for the ignition switch recall. What I understand from Bob Young the NHTSA agent, is that this should be a safety recall and should result in a Technical Bulletin that has a warning similar to the one in the linked PDF. In some instances the ground spider can cause sudden loss of engine power and sudden headlight failure which should merit the same warning:

What you should do now: Do not operate your motorcycle until this important modification is performed.If you are not the first owner of the motorcycle, and are unsure if this modification has been done, contact any authorized Yamaha Dealer to verify. Any authorized Yamaha Motorsports Dealer can perform this service. For the name and location of a dealer near you, call 1-800-88-YAMAHA or visit the Dealer Locator section of this website.
AT THIS TIME THERE IS NO RECALL, DEALERS WILL NOT HAVE ANY MORE INFORMATION THAN WHAT WAS IN THE "INTENT TO RECALL" BULLETIN QUOTED IN POST #1 IN THIS THREAD. ANY INQUIRIES TO YOUR DEALER WILL NOT RESULT IN MORE DETAILS THAN WHAT YOU READ HERE ON 6/28/2011.

Thank you for reading the disclaimer. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Did I fail to notice, or are there still no 2008 models affected?
Maybe I'm being even denser than usual, but I'm confused by your question. Are you reading 2006-2009 to mean including only 2006 AND 2009? As I read it, 2006-2009 includes 2007 and 2008.

:ph34r:
I think he meant that he hasn't noticed any 2008 owners posting problems.

:dntknw:
Correct. After reading thru the thread, cant find anyone that has reported a failed ground spider on a 2008. I may have missed it though.

At least two 2008 models failed, but the owners seem not to have filed at safercars.gov; They did report their issues in the FJRF009 thread -but I found nothing on the NHSTA web site when I checked a few months ago - long after those owners reported their problems here.

And that is part of why this is taking as long as it has; Only a small percentage of riders show up here and only a small percentage of our visitors fiile the formal complaints - we had reports of about 175 failures according to the poll that I originally had on the FJRF009 thread, but that poll is gone. NHTSA had all of 23 reports on their site.

Now that may not seem like a lot, but consider that the total population of machines in the US is about 10,000 - Toyota, with hundreds.of thousands of units of a particular model was recently ordered to recall those vehicles after THREE reports.

There's been quite a bit of foot dragging going on.

Like I wrote; "It's freaking about time'.

Again though, even something as simple as a Brodie harness is going to be a lot of work for the average Yamamama tech. I just don't have enough trust in shops to fix my bike without screwing something else up. It all boils down to lack of care for other peoples belongings. I'll guess we'll just have to wait and see what the "fix" is going to be. Until then, i'll just keep riding the piss out of my FJR.

Lucas
IF this actually comes to pass, try Cycle Shack North in Conroe. Dan has had my tupperware off numerous times without any issues (that really sounds odd....) :eek:

We'll have to see what the "fix" is first to decide wether or not to reinstall the Brodie Harness

I have the very same Yammy tech fear. When my bike was new, I had the shop I bought it at do the 600 mile service. I took in the list of things extra to ask them to do from the FAQs here. One is to Loktite the small screws that hold the saddle bag locks. They promised me that the tech did everything on the list when I asked upon pick-up.

Sure enough, about a month later, the left bag's lock falls apart in my hand. No Loktite on the bolts at all!!! They simply lied to my face! Great folks....

I KNEW they'd do a recall if I bought the roadrunner ground harnesses! I KNEW it! You guys don't have to thank me...really!

+1

Yamaha technical department meeting: "O.K. boys, Mogambo bought the spider fix. Implement the recall immediately!"

I have been busy, so shame on the rest of you folks for not stating the obvious:

A HUGE thanks to ionbeam and BkrK12 for presenting this problem to the NHTSA technical inspector in such a way as to get action!

Wow. You guys ROCK!!! You two obviously did your homework and made an excellent presentation.

I do believe that the two guys in your Avatar are the ones that work on my bike! ;-(

Yes, THANK YOU GUYS!!!

A HUGE thanks to ionbeam and BkrK12 for presenting this problem to the NHTSA technical inspector in such a way as to get action!
Gunny. :clapping:

Attacking the issue and not the manufacturer--works better than vinegar almost every time.

Another thanks here from an '08 owner that thankfully has not had the problem rear it's ugly head. You guys have done us all a great service. Nothing sucks worse than miring through a bureaucracy, so Kudos to all that helped get this done!!! :) :) :)

Have to say great but being a 10 owner I am a bit pissed! The physical position, of all spiders are the same on my 10. Of course before it had a mile on it I had Road Runners harness installed.

Not going to worry about it too much unless I have an issue, then will have to done battle gear.

Still curious what it will be? I speculate it will be a additional or supplemental grounding harness. I can not see how they could increase wire size on all connectors from various parts attached to the motor to mate to a bigger wire gauge in the harness. I know the physical connections can be made, it is the existing gauge of wire on the device itself would not be changed. So if they increase wire gauge in the harness and not in all the plugs attached, what have you accomplished?

I will wait and see.

It seems my 10 does not suffer from this issue, or the brake lite issue on the 11's?
The 2006-2009 uses a different wiring harness than the 2010 and up. The part numbers for the earlier model is different.

Tony

Yamaha Sportscenter

[email protected]

Gunny. :clapping:

Attacking the issue and not the manufacturer--works better than vinegar almost every time.
If that's what you think, then you are indeed misguided. I have it on EXCELLENT authority that what drove the NHTSA to consider the problem at all was Transport Canada. There was a high level teleconference a few weeks ago between the agencies.

Chalking up negative votes to my posts isn't going to change the fact that what those two did could well have been done three years ago - but it wasn't and that's because no one in the US bureaucracy was interested - and they weren't until TC upgraded the issue to a level-3 problem and then got the NHTSA involved.

Now I am not minimising that ionbeam and bkrk12 made a bang-up and organised presentation to whomever they did, but it would not have happened without intervention from the Canadians

Oh - and I've not ever attacked Yamaha directly except to decry their complete denial of the problem in every manner possible - and then only Yamaha Canada, who spent altogether too much energy trying to prove that the issue didn't exist, but that if it did, then it must be our Farkles (wink-wink, nudge-nudge).

As to the change in part numbers; The 2008 harness is also different from the 2006 - and all Gen-IIs have spiders.

I have been busy, so shame on the rest of you folks for not stating the obvious:

Wow. You guys ROCK!!! You two obviously did your homework and made an excellent presentation.
You mean it's not just because I bought the harnesses?

But seriously, thanks guys!

In fact, all I have ever done has been to exhort the riding public to document their failed spiders with the NHTSA. Period. That's it. That's all.

I only contacted MY DEALER (not the manufacturer) and the Canadian authorities when my bike was affected.

Until that happened, I never had any contact whatsoever with Yamaha OR the government - so I have no idea what sort of vineager you may be alluding to;

TC tried to co-ordinate their activities with their US counterparts, but were told that there was 'no interest' on the part of the NHTSA . . . until they upgraded theissue to level-3. That opened the door and the NHTSA assigned an inspector to look into the matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.