FJRF009.3 "Spider failures other than S4" Research

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had an issue with shield retracting, brake light permanently on, glove box locked, etc and already had spider issues that seemed to be sorted. After taking off l/h upper plastic and opening up several connectors just below the glovebox which looked ok, applying grease and re assembling, problem went away.

Go figure.....

Sorry, can't find pics I took of said connectors, but one was light colored 9 way and the other black 6 way, I think.

Check out post #12 in #78 above.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yummyam I actually discovered my issue yesterday. There's a connector on the right 8 or 10 pin white/clear connector. Anytime I wiggled it I could hear the power connect and disconnect. Took everything apart to trace the wire and discovered it was actually a loose connection within that connector itself. Wrapped it in electrical tape to press everything together better and all is fixed.

Last edited by a moderator:
S6 bite yesterday '06AE

S4 and ignition switch recall done

all other spiders inspected and lamp anti corosion grease applied two years back

apparently the OEM grounding connector is just not rated for the amps (up to 22) even when clean and bright.

Do your selves all a favor and cut these bitches off, solder and crimp before LIGHTS OUT!

symptoms for me was direction and high beam dash indicators lit. I did not try other functions and shut her down right away as I knew what was going on from this fabulous forum! Thanks mcatrophy for image

2008 with 130,000 miles. I've had an S3 failure, am I the only one? S4 harness done long ago. Without warning the bike started chugging and stopped completely. Weird electrical stuff, indicators all glowing etc. I trailered it home and there was no spark. I checked the spiders and found S3 burnt, melted plastic and melted wiring, all others ok. I cropped it back to clean copper, fitted a crimp and soldered them together. All weird electrical symptoms gone but the bike is running really rough, it will start but it will chug and stumble. There are no error codes showing. What might have happened, what might be wrong?

What is the battery voltage running. ?  Might have another issue.  DC voltage searching for a ground can short other things.   

I do run electric farkles but I'll typically see 14.1 - 14.3 when running and Yuasa battery reads high 12's when resting. The symptoms were classic spider bite and they've all gone now that I've joined the wires on S3, which was well burnt. No codes showing either. No issues at all before the total failure. I'm just wondering what has changed, broken, failed or happened to make it run so rough.

Just purchased a 2007 from the original owner and he has no memory of that (spider issues)or the recall. I cleaned the bike up and did a handful of preventative maintenance including the replacing the cct. I have the maintenance manual from my 2006 I purchased new and sold in 2010. Does anyone have the locations of these spiders and what there identified on the wiring diagram. Thanks 

Just purchased a 2007 from the original owner and he has no memory of that (spider issues)or the recall. I cleaned the bike up and did a handful of preventative maintenance including the replacing the cct. I have the maintenance manual from my 2006 I purchased new and sold in 2010. Does anyone have the locations of these spiders and what there identified on the wiring diagram. Thanks 
You can find out if the "S4" recall and the ignition switch recall have been done by checking with Yamaha with the VIN.

https://www.fjrforum.com/topic/113791-fjrf0031-ignition-switch/

There was also a recall for the ECU for 2007 - not a big deal unless you run into a lot of significant altitude changes where you ride.

https://www.fjrforum.com/topic/27244-fjrf004-the-20067-altitude-fix/

Have a look at the following page - Queensland Ken (RIP) did a spider "map" for the FJR.  That particular thread might be worth a read...

https://www.fjrforum.com/topic/169278-my-07-feejer-stopped-running-after-dropping-it-off-ctr-stand-for-ride/page/3/?tab=comments#comment-1334672

I have pictures of the locations of 7 of 8, the 8th being by the ecu.  PM your email and I'll send them along with a couple known extras like the #3 connector and the main ground point from the battery. 

In the meantime you can read about my S4 failure and repair. 

Thanks guys. I am out of town next week but as soon as I get back I will inspect and repair as necessary. I plan on setting the throttle body’s and my front brake lever does not return all the way and it leaves the tail light on. It pivots fine. I just installed a handle bar lift and I think the front brake needs some bleeding.