FJRF009.4 "Spider"/Intermittent Ground Wire Failures 2010 and Later Research

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had an S6 failure on my 2011 at about 23000 miles.  Seems like classic symptoms:  both directional indicators on, high beam indicator on but headlights not lit, windscreen will not move.  Took all of the fairings off (PITA, but thanks for the easy to follow directions!) and found the S6, just below the glove box, was toasted.  So I followed the recommendations here, cut off the connector, twisted the wires together and soldered, including a new 14 ga wire direct to the battery negative terminal.  While I was in the nose I lubed up the S7 and S8 with anti-corrosive/conductive grease.  Got everything back together and it seems to be working well.  Thanks to everyone who has posted their experience here.  Sure made diagnosing and correcting this problem easy for me.   Now I'm off to file a report to the NHTSA...

I have an 09 yesterday the headlight high and low beam stopped working and the windshield won’t go up or down also the turn signals both remain on when the key is on . I called the dealer today and they said the recall has expired isn’t this a serious safety issue?

A safety recall should not expire...

On the other hand, it isn't a big deal to deal with it yourself if you are comfortable with that sort of thing. 

Was the ignition switch recall done?

Edit: only one of the grounding connections is included in the recall.  There are 2 or 3 others that have some reported cases.

Safety recalls, regardless of nature, DO expire.  It's not reasonable to expect a manufacturer to keeps repair parts on the shelf indefinitely.  With the last company I worked for, we actually had people who wanted us to supply parts originally created in the '50s & '60s free of charge b/c they felt it was a safety issue.  Not hardly.....

FJR21515- PM incoming!