FJRF013.2: Recall ECU Reprogram (Post Trans Recall) (2016-2021)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Lumberg

Merica
Reaction score
New recall or TSB. Follow-on re-flash for those that had the transmission recall (and associated reflash) done. This one is a reflash of the ecu. Separate from the one performed as part of the transmission recall. Mod number 990152. Bulletin M2021-010R. Titled ECU Re-flash. From running my VIN at https://www.yamaha-dealers.com/public/web/techpubs/nhtsaPublications.html

The flash in the 1st recall has a rev limiter to protect the 2nd gear they replaced. After reading this recall notice it sounds to me like this one is adding a rev limiter for 1st gear.
There is already one in first and second. Neither is anywhere near the useful operating range. The letter from Yamaha (which I have not received yet- I read another affected USA owner’s letter), concerning the new flash, indicates that it makes it less restrictive, not more.

It should be noted that the transmission recall reflash did introduce a rev limiter in first and second, that limiter does not affect max rpm in neutral or with the clutch pulled all the way in. Nor does it affect max rpm with the clutch out. It only engages if you significantly overrev, in gear, with the clutch barely released.

Evidently, some have inadvertently stumbled upon the limit, somehow. I don’t think Yamaha thought anyone rode like that, and didn’t anticipate anyone ever hitting that limiter except due to accident or user error.

A few have complained. Evidently enough to warrant a change. Good for them. Everyone deserves to be happy with their machine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hated the way the bike rode after the reflash. Fixed it all with Ivan's flash. I'm not giving Yamaha a second chance to screw it up.

It should be noted that the transmission recall reflash did introduce a rev limiter in first and second, that limiter does not affect max rpm in neutral or with the clutch pulled all the way in. Nor does it affect max rpm with the clutch out. It only engages if you significantly overrev, in gear, with the clutch barely released.
My mechanic claims the original recall flash introduced a rev limiter of 3 or 4k rpms if you are in 2nd gear with the clutch pulled in. Have you tested that condition? I have not.

It is first and second. It does not engage with the clutch in or out. It only engages with the clutch barely out. And yes. I’d never hit it naturally, but when it was being discussed, I intentionally induced it for science. :)

My mechanic claims the original recall flash introduced a rev limiter of 3 or 4k rpms if you are in 2nd gear with the clutch pulled in. Have you tested that condition? I have not.
There are 3 variables that control the transmission recall flash rev limiter; RPM, clutch position and road speed. See this thread -Here.

Your mechanic has it mostly correct. Clutch must be in. At least on my FJR.
-Steve

I went through the 2nd gear replacement recall - nothing noteworthy found. Seems to me, this new recall sounds like an answer, looking for a question.
Yet, a number of people complained about their bike's performance after getting the flash that (was supposed to have) accompanied the 2nd gear fix. Either some owners are insensitive to the change because of the way they ride (not a criticism) or perhaps some shops didn't do the prescribed ECU flash after doing the parts replacement.

I can definitely confirm that some shops don't do the ECU flash after the gear replacement! I had mine done in February and it was the first FJR for this dealer to do the recall. Here is part of an email to another FJR owner I had at the time. This was after the bike was reassembled (twice, due to an oil leak on the output shaft seal the first time!). When I went to pick up the bike, I casually asked "How did the ECU programming go?" and that's when I heard "What programming? This was only a transmission gear recall." I stood there in disbelief and told him to go in and read the entire recall procedure....

From the email:
It appears the dealer doesn’t understand how to get it to communicate with the computer. Service Mgr basically said my bike was broken and they could not program it! I said well it’s under a recall repair so can’t you fix the issue? He said outright no. He had given up and basically said it’s my problem.
I called another dealer and they wouldn’t touch it since the first dealer had responsibility. They said he would not get paid for the job if he could not complete it. He had already marked the job complete!
At this point I called costumer service at Yamaha. They told me they would call the dealer and put me on hold.
About 5 mins later they told me the dealer should have called Yamaha dealer tech line for help. Dealer said he had to get my permission but they told him he was totally wrong since he was working on a recall job under warranty. I told Yamaha rep that this was the second dealer I knew of that apparently never did the programming in the gear change.

Mine got the reflash with the trans recall. In no hurry to get a re-reflash. It runs just as hard and just as fast as before the trans recall. It’s getting an (overdue) valve check today. I will be interested to see if adjustments are necessary. It’s been 50,000 miles since the last one.

If I had found the obscure reflash limiter to impede acceleration or power in any way, I would probably have gone Ivan. But reports of bricking from subsequent reflashes after an Ivan are concerning.

25k miles on my 2020. Now they tell me not to ride it? 🤣

Pass.
Who told you not to ride it, if you’ve already had the trans recall done?
When I saw Touchsport's post, I assumed he was referring to the 2nd recall for the ECU re-flash. I checked my 2018 ECU recall notice and in the middle of the recall form - written in bold text is this line:

You should not operate your affected motorcycle shown above until modification is performed.

Mine got the reflash with the trans recall. In no hurry to get a re-reflash. It runs just as hard and just as fast as before the trans recall. It’s getting an (overdue) valve check today. I will be interested to see if adjustments are necessary. It’s been 50,000 miles since the last one.

If I had found the obscure reflash limiter to impede acceleration or power in any way, I would probably have gone Ivan. But reports of bricking from subsequent reflashes after an Ivan are concerning.
Bricking?

Ivan ECUs can't be reflashed by your dealer. If they don't notice you have a customized ECU and try to update it the process fails and the ECU is no longer functional. The term "bricking" refers to a device that no longer boots or functions.

When I saw Touchsport's post, I assumed he was referring to the 2nd recall for the ECU re-flash. I checked my 2018 ECU recall notice and in the middle of the recall form - written in bold text is this line:

You should not operate your affected motorcycle shown above until modification is performed.
Thanks. Yes I assumed that was clear by the threads title. 🤣