FJRF013: Sticky Clutch/Clutch Soak

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignacio

Intramural Culture Warrior
Staff member
Reaction score
Update 6/29/2012

Issue

Owners note the clutch seems "sticky" or "notchy" and related to the clutch plates. Those that have opened the case have noted that even though the clutch area is splashed by oil...some plates or areas of plates appear completely dry. Perhaps experienced more often by AE owners.

Popular fixes

Popular fixes including remove the clutch, noting some surfaces are dry, cleaning the faces or removing possible anti-corrosion materialf, and "soaking" each piece in oil to make sure thorough coverage of individual parts. Detailed instructions are here.

Not all clutch symptoms are due to a dry clutch, nor resolved by a soak. The clutch hydraulic fluid needing bleeding (or changing) can cause some similar symptoms (perhaps for AE (AS) owners more than for the conventional).

Years or Bikes Affected

No definitive years known, but appears to be more common in Gen 2 years....perhaps more commonly in the 2006 to 2008 years.

Status with Yamaha

This issue does not appear to be formally recognized by the manufacturer or NHTSA. Reports of dealers covering a "clutch soak" through warranty have been reported including here.

Status with NHTSA

It is unknown if anybody has reported this issue to NHTSA or other government agencies nor is this likely to be directly a safety issue.

Forum Campaign Status

If this is a continuing issue or believed to be a signficant safety issue--the forum could begin a collective campaign to try and resolve the issue. Successful previous experience on other issues (i.e. tickers & ignition switch issues) involve a self-nominated champion that's of the "glass half-full" temperament managing a thread. See thread by Barabus Ignition Switch Thread as a golden example. Those interested should contact Ignacio for forum assistance.

------

Picture of dry plates by mcatrophy.

1_DSCF5885.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The dry plates problem is..:THE CLUTCH HOUSING!!And i don't know why Yamaha dosn't improved it like CCT or valve guides and seals..!!

In my other bike XTZ 750 in the first model in 1989..which had had exactly the same problem like fjr..The 1990 Yamaha improved the clutch housing in this model with some big holes and something other patent on the clutch housing and the dry plates problem solved!!As many times as you doing a clutch soak bath after 2000-3000-5000 miles the plates they are going to dry again!!No resolution for this problem..!!Because this clutch housing it didn't leave the properly amount oil to soak the plates!!Only an Improved clutch housing from Mama Yamaha..when will decide it..!!This is the solution.....

These are what my 0 mile '10 looked like.

0%20mile%20clutch%20plates.jpg

First and last only a little oil, all the rest like these pretty dry. Also a lot of sludge in the bottom of the housing.

I put a Barnett Kit back in and used a goose neck oil can to soak each plate and ring as I assembled the pac.

As a side note Barnett is explicit that "soaking" the clutch pac is unnecessary, they say a bath of a few minuets and put it together. They been making clutches a long time so I have to think the FJR needs a oil port over the clutch pac.

I would bet if I pulled it now with 13K on it it would be dry in the middle.

Last edited by a moderator:
These are what my 0 mile '10 looked like.

0%20mile%20clutch%20plates.jpg

First and last only a little oil, all the rest like these pretty dry. Also a lot of sludge in the bottom of the housing.

I put a Barnett Kit back in and used a goose neck oil can to soak each plate and ring as I assembled the pac.

As a side note Barnett is explicit that "soaking" the clutch pac is unnecessary, they say a bath of a few minuets and put it together. They been making clutches a long time so I have to think the FJR needs a oil port over the clutch pac.

I would bet if I pulled it now with 13K on it it would be dry in the middle.
My realy story and my opinion for this problem is in my previously post...I have doing three times clutch soak in my bike and after 2000-3000 miles the plates was drying again..!!I will not do it again..!!!The clutch soak can not fix the problem..!!Only an improved clutch housing....