FJRF013 - Transmission Recall for Second Gear (DE, UK, CA, & US) (2016-2020)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Translated version here.

954 motorcycles at this point and one to watch to be sure.  If it becomes more widespread we'll think about pinning this thread.  Thanks for the link!

Glad I kept my stock ECU and sent one I purchased from a totaled bike to Ivan. Taking it in with the Ivan ECU which came from a different bike would surely void the warranty. And taking it in for the new tranny and ECU flash will certainly flush Ivan's hard work for those who sent their stock ECU to Ivan. 

I don`t read Dutch. Does anyone know what the issue is?
I included two separate (English) links in my post - two up from yours.  Ignacio also posted a translated page of the original.

These relate to the recall from Transport Canada - the same issue as the European link.  NHTSA has not (yet) issued a recall for FJRs imported into the USA.  Just a matter of time, I expect.

Took mine to the dealer for a service and MOT test.

I had a word with him about recalls. Mine's due for a front brake light switch and a carbon canister (he's doing these during the service). 

I asked about the gearbox, he said they seemed to be in batches rather than years, that other Yamahas also had similar recalls. He surmised that maybe there were different suppliers. Mine (2018) wasn't among the gearbox recalls.

Took mine to the dealer for a service and MOT test.

I had a word with him about recalls. Mine's due for a front brake light switch and a carbon canister (he's doing these during the service). 

I asked about the gearbox, he said they seemed to be in batches rather than years, that other Yamahas also had similar recalls. He surmised that maybe there were different suppliers. Mine (2018) wasn't among the gearbox recalls.
Good info. At this point, I am as (or more) interested in CA/U.K. gen IV bikes that have not been recalled for transmission work than those that are affected. :)  

All of the 6 speeds will be affected....don't think the bikes for US came off a different production line, anyway....

Here is German recall with affected frame numbers

RECALL YAMAHA FJR 1300Possible gearbox defectYamaha has to call the Supertourer FJR 1300 back to the workshops in Germany. The second gear transmission gears can be damaged.Uli Baumann 02.12.2020The affected machines of the type Y amaha FJR 1300 A and AE from the construction period 2016 to 2020 can suffer damage or cracks on the gear wheels of the second gear. As a result, 954 machines are being recalled in Germany.The reason for the damage that may occur is insufficient strength of the second gear wheel, which cannot withstand the stresses of shifting at high speeds. In the worst case, the interlocking teeth can be damaged, thereby interrupting the propulsion of the vehicle. Under certain circumstances the gearbox can also block.New gear and new softwareDepending on the equipment, the recalled motorcycles will receive a completely new, modified transmission and a newly programmed engine management system that limits the engine speed when idling and minimizes load peaks during gear changes. Since some vehicles from the affected construction period already have a modified transmission ex works, not all machines will be equipped with a new transmission. Here Yamaha only plays the new software.Yamaha calculates around 14.5 hours for the gearbox exchange plus software adjustment. The conversion is free of charge for the customer. Yamaha requests all owners of affected vehicles to contact their dealer as soon as possible to arrange a workshop appointment.YAMAHA FJR1300A / AE model year 2016 - 2020Exchange of the complete transmission + ECU reprogrammingFg.-No .: JYARP281000000301 to JYARP281000002510Fg.-No .: JYARP286000000301 to JYARP286000005300Fg.-No .: JYARP286000005511 to JYARP286000005549ECU reprogramming onlyFg.-No .: JYARP286000005301 to JYARP286000005510Fg.-No .: JYARP286000005550 to JYARP286000005569CONCLUSIONInadequately manufactured transmission gears can lead to transmission failure on the Yamaha FJR 1300. Yamaha responded and installed completely new transmissions.

FWIW, this fault first surfaced in 2017, so it's not going to grenade overnite...but it would always be at the back of my mind. Seem some photos, failure has taken out gearbox, crank, couple of rods and the cases. Not nice.

It appears NHTSA has added a recall in the U.S. according to at least one motorcycle website.  Highlights include:

• The recall affects FJR1300’s produced between December 9, 2015, and February 2, 2020. This puts the affected unit total to 2,285.  
  • Yamaha will notify owners, and dealers will inspect and, as necessary, reprogram the Engine Control Unit (ECU) and replace the main axle and drive axle assemblies, free of charge.
  • The recall is expected to begin January 13, 2021.
  • Owners may contact Yamaha customer service at 1-800-962-7926. Yamaha’s number for this recall is 990141.
  • Owners are advised not to operate their motorcycle until the repairs have been performed.
One can check their VIN for any US recall here.

There's an article at Asphaltandrubber.com about it. Talked to Yamaha today, "no, no recall for transmission", would be nice if Yamaha would be more forthcoming about it seeing as everyone knows about it.

My VIN isn't working??

An error occurred with your request. Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA does not recognize your VIN. Please contact Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA by phone at 1-800-962-7926 or go to their website https://www.yamaha-motor.com/ for recall information about your vehicle.
Did you try your VIN at Yamaha-Motor?

~G