FJRF013 - Transmission Recall for Second Gear (DE, UK, CA, & US) (2016-2020)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dropped my bike off March 11th at local dealer.  That was 4 weeks ago today. 

Its really nice here in upstate NY, so I gave the dealer a call.  I was told they ordered the kit for the tranny warranty rebuild, and tore the engine out of the bike and it is taken apart.  Since then, the kit is shown as "backordered", and there is no date shown on the system for when it will be available/shipped.  

Seems mothership Yamaha has left us both high and dry.  

: is there any value in calling customer service and pleading for attention? 

Just got off the phone with the Yamaha customer service mothership.  There is no promise date for my tranny recall rebuild kit.  Its being blamed on covid, and complications in Japan.  I was told it could be FOUR MONTHS before the kit is supplied to my dealer.  

Had I known that, and had the dealer known that.... obviously I could have/would have ridden the machine (yes,... I know this puts my life at substantial risk). . As it is now, the bike is apart at the dealership.  

Not a happy camper.... 

They should provide a loaner bike.

Canadian FJR
Or put it back together and give him his bike back NOW.  Call him when the parts are in. 

In addition to not having my bike, I would be very unhappy having it sit around a shop in a state of disassembly.  They should NEVER have started taking it apart without the recall parts in hand!

I dropped mine off on March 9, 2021. Dealer says "Once we have the bike we can place the order for the kit. We are currently about 2 weeks out on repairs." That is ok, it is Wisconsin and riding starts mid April or above 45F.

Well the bike is still there as parts are still on back order. They said I could come pick up the bike and use it. 

I need the bike to ride the Dragons Tail in May. I will wait some more, I sure miss that bike. I did ask about a loaner, nope.

Just called and the parts for the brake recall arrived but not installed yet. The transmission kit is not in; shipping from Japan, no eta. 

They will not take the bike apart until the parts are in hand, I had to ask.

Can there be any excuse for the dealer taking my machine apart without having the rebuild kit in hand?   Also, ...I bought the extended warranty which expires end of September this year.  If I don't have the bike back before July or August ( or later),... its another angle of feeling "shafted" on the entire recall experience.  Its hard not to be furious, at the dealer for making such a terrible step to disassemble my ride.  Its my only motorcycle.  

I'll be writing a follow up letter to Yamaha customer service mothership.  Hoping some how, some way they can expedite an available rebuild kit.  At least I will detail, my displeasure with the dealer action.  The recall program should stipulate dealers to not disassemble until and unless rebuild kit is in hand. ( Hello Captain Obvious). Wonder if I am the only victim of this debacle? 

😪

Live and learn- let the buyer beware.  You didn't specify what's to happen to your vehicle and when.  You didn't ask about repair parts.  You didn't take your bike back home when parts weren't available.

I'm sorry if this strikes too close to home but......  Don't be a sheep.  Take control.  It's your vehicle- what happens or doesn't happen to it maintenance-wise, recall or other,  is entirely up to you and not the dealership.  I'm not saying the dealership is blameless, certainly not.  But neither are you.

Houston, we have a problem.

I just notice a faint knocking when idling in first gear with the clutch in.

seems okay when riding and definitely okay in neutral with clutch engaged or not engaged.  Can I ask others to try try this and report back?

Thanks,

Canadian FJR

The only time I get it in neutral is if I go from first to neutral and keep the clutch pulled in it does it for a few revolutions then it goes away.

When in neutral I don’t hear it with clutch in or out.

Put it in first and keep the clutch in like at a stop sign and it comes back.

It with stops once underway or I just can’t hear it.  Not sure.

Canadian FJR

Finally got my bike back today, after dropping it off in March 6 at Coleman. I opted to have the valves checked and some gaskets were on backorder. Battery wouldn't turn enough to start it, so they had to give me a jump. Already have a new battery ready to go on my workbench.

I'll say they appear to have done a good job putting it all back together. Runs the same, as best as I can tell.

Valves were all in spec,  no shims needed. They only charged me for 1.5 hr of labor for the check.

Glad to finally have it back and be able to ride.

Post recall follow up -

I'm currently only at 800 miles post recall repair because I've been riding my Bandit, I've been been saving my tires for  my long trip coming up May 23rd - that will 5k + miles, and the real test! We will be doing a Colorado > Utah > PNW > Idaho > Montana> Wyoming > Colorado loop and points in between loop.

That said - in these +/-800 miles its has been shifting without any concerns - just like before the recall. I never had anything to compare to because I did not have a problem per-se, so its basically the same as before.

I will follow up after the trip. FJR don't let me down!!

Two months ago today dropped my copy off at the dealer.  How many of you were smart enough to mandate to the dealer "don't take this thing apart until you have the rebuild kit in hand"?  Am I the only idiot?  Well, the dealer claims the kit was shown as on its way in, and so tore it down.  Last week, the update was the order now shows "fulfilled", and possibly this week it might arrive.  Blame it on covid !  I'll bet this dealer NEVER makes a mistake this major again.  I don't want to be an asshole, but honestly its tough to swallow that knowing what we all know about supply chains in covid era, the decision was made and as a result I'm out of a ride.   

Two months ago today dropped my copy off at the dealer.  How many of you were smart enough to mandate to the dealer "don't take this thing apart until you have the rebuild kit in hand"?  Am I the only idiot?  Well, the dealer claims the kit was shown as on its way in, and so tore it down.  Last week, the update was the order now shows "fulfilled", and possibly this week it might arrive.  Blame it on covid !  I'll bet this dealer NEVER makes a mistake this major again.  I don't want to be an asshole, but honestly its tough to swallow that knowing what we all know about supply chains in covid era, the decision was made and as a result I'm out of a ride.   
Well my kit was in house, but apparently was missing some bolts. 

So in my case I assumed all was good to go. Then I waited 5 damn weeks for my bike. I feel your pain a little. 

But my pain wasn't quite as bad as mine was mostly in March. Not the greatest weather here in March. 

Luckily, Coleman has the foresight not to begin work until all parts were in hand.  The recall parts came in, but I was also getting a valve check, and they were waiting on two gaskets.  Once they had everything, they did it all at once.  As Tom Petty said, "The waiting is the hardest part".