FJRF013 - Transmission Recall for Second Gear (DE, UK, CA, & US) (2016-2020)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today is 10 weeks since the scooter was dropped off at dealership. I was told when I called, the machine is undergoing reassembly.  Need the universe to send positive energy that all the parts are in the kit and it all gets done !  I forget what its like to twist the throttle.

Today is 10 weeks since the scooter was dropped off at dealership. I was told when I called, the machine is undergoing reassembly.  Need the universe to send positive energy that all the parts are in the kit and it all gets done !  I forget what its like to twist the throttle.
10 weeks. That's rough. 

This is a follow up to my previous posting about reporting on how things turned after my trip out west.

I am back - After 6100 mi and thousands of shifts ( 3~4k ? )over that period and lots of long, long stretches at high speeds tank-to-tank, I am happy to report that not one single issue with the transmission, or the bike for that matter.

FJR once again stands up to its reputation!

Brief recap - Over 16 days, traveled over mostly back roads from Golden, CO, through Nevada, Idaho to S. Oregon and up to N Oregon, Washington along the Columbia to North Washington and briefly into Canada (oops!!), Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, S Dakota, Nebraska (boooring) and back to Colorado. Ranged from snow over some passes to almost 100d in lower desert areas, and from about 300ft elevations to just over 14k ft.

Awesome trip under perfect blue skies - could have not ordered that!

Next stop - NE US into Canada as soon as we can (officially) get in 😁.

Cheers!

So, I was pleased when three weeks ago today, June 10th, my 2016 FJR copy was returned to me. Was just a single  day short of 3 months , having rode it in March 10th.  About 250 miles later all is well.  The mechanic who did the tear down/repair mentioned that my writing a letter to Yamaha customer service did expedite the kit for the recall work.  The mothership, should have clearly communicated to the dealers not to tear down any engines until and unless the rebuild kit was confirmed in hand. Just my opinion.  

These questions may have been answered, but I didn't see it.

If I buy a used or new old stock FJR, how can I be sure the recall has actually been performed?

If I buy a used FJR from the dealer, is the tranny warrantied for some longer period of time?

thanks for the info.

-DL

If I buy a used or new old stock FJR, how can I be sure the recall has actually been performed?

If I buy a used FJR from the dealer, is the tranny warrantied for some longer period of time?
Same with any recall, service bulletin, etc.  Talk to either your dealer or call Yamaha Corporate for North America with the VIN.

As for warranty, only if it's covered by the original one year or the extended warranty that some buy.

thanks for the info.

-DL
Any Yamaha dealer can run the VIN and tell you what recalls are outstanding.

Not by Yamaha, unless you purchase YES (USA) or YPP (Canada)

-Steve

So, I was pleased when three weeks ago today, June 10th, my 2016 FJR copy was returned to me. Was just a single  day short of 3 months , having rode it in March 10th.  About 250 miles later all is well.  The mechanic who did the tear down/repair mentioned that my writing a letter to Yamaha customer service did expedite the kit for the recall work.  The mothership, should have clearly communicated to the dealers not to tear down any engines until and unless the rebuild kit was confirmed in hand. Just my opinion.  
Coleman told me they don't touch the bike until they have all parts on hand.

thanks for the info.

-DL
I haven't seen the Tech Bulletin for this recall, but for the ignition switch recall on the Gen IIs, they would put a punch mark on the frame at the end of the VIN to indicate the recall was completed.

The question about recalls has been asked before although don't remember reading a definitive answer.  I can't cite to any source but I'd imagine a dealer would be legally prohibited from selling any vehicle with a known safety defect.  Easy enough to just ask when buying though.

Thanks everyone,

I know that all motorcycle dealers a completely honest and would never report a recall as having been completed if it was not (NOT!).  A dealer might be tempted to take the cash from Yamaha for the repair on a bike sitting on the showroom floor, but not actually do the work.

So my question is there anyway to physically verify the repair, anything external that would be a "tell"?

-DL

...A dealer might be tempted to take the cash from Yamaha for the repair on a bike sitting on the showroom floor, but not actually do the work.

So my question is there anyway to physically verify the repair, anything external that would be a "tell"?
If you don't think potential liability of not doing a safety recall that can lock rear wheel at speed is a strong enough motivator for a dealer to actually do the work--then you should probably become an expert and wade through the recall details directly youreself.  Maybe you can divine a "tell" that can't be faked, but given your standard you should probably crack the case and look for a forged pinion gear and 1st and 5th wheel gear.  After all, it's the only way you can know for sure.... ;)

Personally, I'd ride more and stress less.

A little snippy, Ignacio. Some dealers are not doing well. The Yamaha dealer I bought my last FJR from has gone out of business. When a small business is squeezed, short cuts are found.

Mine was dropped off at dealer 3 months ago and still waiting for Second Gear parts from Yamaha.  Yamaha is Worst Customer Service I have ever seen.  Over half of my riding season gone already and really don't even know if I will get it back this year!  How long have others been waiting?  

Mine was dropped off at dealer 3 months ago and still waiting for Second Gear parts from Yamaha.  Yamaha is Worst Customer Service I have ever seen.  Over half of my riding season gone already and really don't even know if I will get it back this year!  How long have others been waiting?  

With the information that is out there on the web and forums like these, why-o-why did you drop your bike off at the dealer before they had parts on hand?  That is on you.  Frankly, your dealer should not have taken the bike until parts were on hand.  That is on them.  Why didn't you try to get the repair done 6 months ago instead of 3, at the start of the riding season.

Sorry, but I don't necessarily see poor customer service from Yamaha Corporate.  I see a lack of planning and  foresight from you, and some poor planning and customer service from your dealer.  Which is unfortunately not new from many dealers.

No doubt this is a crappy situation.  But taking control of the process up front with clear communication and expectations set with your dealer makes it relatively painless.

Btw, have you attempted writing, or calling Yamaha Corporate Customer Service to inquire about the availability of your recall parts?  That can help.  Don't necessarily believe what your dealer is telling you.

-why did you drop your bike off at the dealer before they had parts on hand?  That is on you.  Frankly, your dealer should not have taken the bike until parts were on hand. 
My dealer won't order parts until the bike is at the shop.  Common story I've read for others on-line.  Sounds like Yam protocol for this situation.  Me? I'm still riding and they can have the bike after autumn foliage season.

Not Yamaha protocol. Not when I talked to them and not when I had mine done. That’s a dealer request, and not a reasonable one. 

A thought. If the dealer does not have the parts, the bike probably has not been disassembled. Why not just go pick it up? Ride the rest of the season and have the tranny done over the winter.