FJRF013 - Transmission Recall for Second Gear (DE, UK, CA, & US) (2016-2020)

Help Support FJRForum:

GPRIDER

Event SFO Staff
Reaction score
My dealer ordered the parts when I went in just to talk about it. Wanted too see if they had already done one. They hadn't. Anyway the parts came in several months ago and they keep bugging me to bring it in. I asked how busy they were and was told very busy. I said doesn't that mean my bike will just be sitting around for a while till you can get to it? Their reply was yes. I told them I would bring it in after the riding season when things slow down. :)

GP

Ridercoach

Reaction score
I don`t read Dutch. Does anyone know what the issue is?
Apparently 2nd gear, if the bike is run hard, can somehow crack and perhaps break completely. With a shared case with the motor, definitely not a good thing. has anyone heard WHY the gear is subject to doing this? Saw something yesterday suggesting that in order to get the 6sp, which everyone has been clamoring for, in the same case ,i.e., no engine redesign, the gear(s) are perhaps "thinner" than the old 5 sp. Not sure what info Yamaha is putting out as to the "why" but they seem to be a quiet bunch, so I would not expect them to tell us. Perhaps a shop that has done a recall or two might have the skinny on this.

I love my 2012 and would like to move to a newer version but am a but concerned about the possibility of thinner gears. Not a big fan of the black wheels either and would rather have the alloy as an option, but Yamaha is pretty much "take it or leave it". Never understood why they did not offer either black or silver in addition to their "color of the year", but I am glad they moved away from the matte paints (well, for 2022 at least)

Sunnyorlando

Members+
Reaction score
A recall for the recall is in! The ECUs can be reflashes to eliminate the "overly restrictive" RPM control while the clutch is open and in 1st & 2nd gears under 30MPH.
I'm glad I was not the only one feeling this way about tha issue.

RBEmerson

Members++
Reaction score
Getting the second gear swap was a cluster fornication of the highest order. Yamaha took forever to get the parts to the dealer (yes, I believe that), and then changed the how-to from "drop the motor" to leaving at the top half of the motor in place. AFAIK, none of the recalled bikes showed any problem with the affected parts.

One thing and another, it's going to be a long while before I can get my '17 to the dealer. I'm inclined to ignore this one.

Lou D

Members++
Reaction score
My dealer who happens to be the head mechanic told me that if it were his bike he would not do the recall. Mine runs great so that`s the way I am leaving mine.

HAPPY JACK

Members+
Reaction score
Had a 2013 A modal 35k no problem no fix. Now I have a 2018 ES had the 2nd gear thing done last winter. Cluster F___K!! Fought the bike all summer swore I get it right! Ivan to the rescue! Happy camper! The day after I reinstalled the ECU I got the second recall notice, After riding with Ivan's handy work, I really recommend his work especially the 3rd riding mode! NO MORE JERKING! Easier shifting, all around better experience!

sparky80

Members+
Reaction score
My dealer who happens to be the head mechanic told me that if it were his bike he would not do the recall. Mine runs great so that`s the way I am leaving mine.

Yep, my thoughts exactly. The first recall didn't come out til last year sometime and I didn't hear of hundreds or even 5 people complain that their 6 speed FJR was having issues. Now all of a sudden they're all doomed to fail? MANY guys have run these bikes at IBR's with no issues at all with a "bad" transmission.
Kudos for Yamaha for trying to make right a slight wrong for a handful of people.... but my FJR is staying just the way it is.... "bad" transmission and all.

Dodger

Reaction score
My dealer ordered the parts when I went in just to talk about it. Wanted too see if they had already done one. They hadn't. Anyway the parts came in several months ago and they keep bugging me to bring it in. I asked how busy they were and was told very busy. I said doesn't that mean my bike will just be sitting around for a while till you can get to it? Their reply was yes. I told them I would bring it in after the riding season when things slow down. :)

GP
I got mine done, 2 days at the shop and everything runs just as before, which is great. No problems after about 10,000 kms and I am not expecting any.

GPRIDER

Event SFO Staff
Reaction score
Dropped my 2016 off two weeks ago today. I've heard nothing back yet. Starting to get slightly concerned. They told me it would be a week to a week and a half. I'm more concerned about getting it back fixed right than I am about it taking longer to fix it. The mechanic working on it hasn't done one yet and has never been into a FJR engine except for a valve check. Hoping for the best.

GP

Stat

Members+
Reaction score
Mine took almost 2 weeks. It worked fine after although I had to take it apart before winter as they tucked the battery tender cable up on top of the battery. While it was apart I could see they struggled with tools, lots of scratches. The bike did not leak before and doesn't afterward so that is good.

Kendoo

Members++
Reaction score
Took mine in just before Christmas, it was ready 3 working days later. It was the 40th one they did. Feeling pretty confident they have it figured out by now. 160K on it and shifting better than ever. I never had any transmission or Cruise Control issues, but what the heck, got a free oil and coolant change out of it. LOL