FJRF013 - Transmission Recall for Second Gear (DE, UK, CA, & US) (2016-2020)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
U.S. NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V813000

Manufacturer Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA

Components POWER TRAIN

Potential Number of Units Affected 2,285

Summary

Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA (Yamaha) is recalling certain 2016-2020 Yamaha FJR13A and FJR13AE motorcycles. The second gear of the transmission can crack and break under high speed loads.
Remedy

Yamaha will notify owners, and dealers will inspect and, as necessary, reprogram the Engine Control Unit (ECU) and replace the main axle and drive axle assemblies, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin January 13, 2021. Owners may contact Yamaha customer service at 1-800-962-7926. Yamaha's number for this recall is 990141. Note: Owners are advised not to operate their motorcycle until the repairs have been performed.

Description of Defect :
Description of the Defect : In affected motorcycles, the side of second gear may not be strong enough to
handle high speed loads. As a result, cracks may occur due to constant stress
applied during repeated gear shift operation and, eventually, the gear could
break. If this happens, the transmission and, in turn, the rear wheel, could lock,
increasing the risk of loss of control and a crash

Description of the Safety Risk : The side of second gear may not be strong enough to handle high speed loads.
As a result, cracks may occur due to constant stress applied during repeated
gear shift operation and, eventually, the gear could break. If this happens, the transmission and, in turn, the rear wheel, could lock

Description of the Cause : second pinion gear may not be strong enough to handle high speed loads. As a
result, cracks may occur due to constant stress applied during repeated gear
shift operation

Identification of Any Warning that can Occur :
difficulty shifting, finding neutral and false neutrals may occur prior to gear
breakage

Chronology :
In late November, Yamaha Motor Corporation USA was informed by the manufacturer, Yamaha Motor Co., LTD
that such a condition exists. This was determined pursuant to quality control review, testing and a review of
foreign models that use substantially similar part design

Description of Remedy :
Description of Remedy Program : Affected units must have the main axle and drive axle assemblies replaced
with the stronger parts and the Engine Control Unit (ECU) reprogrammed to prevent excessive rpm leading to second gear damage

How Remedy Component Differs from Recalled Component :
Second pinion gear is now forged and 2nd pinion on the main axel and 1st
and 5th wheel gear on the drive axle have a small identification groove
machined on them to aid identification Part 573 Safety Recall Report 20V-813 Page 3
The information contained in this report was submitted pursuant to 49 CFR §573

Identify How/When Recall Condition was Corrected in Production :
With the start of November 2020 production, the new style forged 2nd
pinion gear on the main transmission axel and 1st and 5th wheel gear on
the drive transmission axel are used for engine/transmission assembly

Recall Schedule :
Description of Recall Schedule : We anticipate commencing dealer/consumer notification shortly after
the owner's notification letter is approved by NHTSA, the affected VIN
range is ascertained, and the Technical Bulletin's service procedures are
confirmed and finalized by Yamaha staff. assuming the Agency can review
and approve the customer notification letter within 5 days of receipt
(perhaps January 8th we will have the letter and technical bulletin
printed. Normal turnaround time is 3 working days for such a printing.
Hence the materials will be ready for mailing approximately January
13th. Final copies of these notification documents will be forwarded to
the Agency as soon as possible.
Planned Dealer Notification Date : JAN 13, 2021 - JAN 15, 2021
Planned Owner Notification Date : JAN 13, 2021 - JAN 15, 2021

Production Dates : DEC 09, 2015 - FEB 02, 2020
VIN Range 1 : Begin : JYARP29E6GA000002 End : JYARP29EXKA000822 ✔ Not sequential
VIN Range 2 : Begin : JYARP29Y3GA000002 End : JYARP29Y8KA000151 ✔ Not sequential
VIN Range 3 : Begin : JYARP30E0GA000001 End : JYARP30E7LA001009 ✔ Not sequential
VIN Range 4 : Begin : JYARP30Y7GA000006 End : JYARP30Y8LA000221 ✔ Not sequential
VIN Range 5 : Begin : JYARP31Y4JA000003 End : JYARP31Y3LA000092 ✔ Not sequential

I believe mine is in the JYARP30E0GA000001 End : JYARP30E7LA001009 range although I'm not sure how they increment between E0 and E7 in the ranges??

Has anyone gotten postive affirmation that their FJR is subject to the recall from the Yamaha website?  Neither of two VINs I have from my old '16 and my current '17 come up as under the recall.  Is the site current?  Wondering if anyone has gotten a hit that their FJR falls under the recall.

I believe mine is in the JYARP30E0GA000001 End : JYARP30E7LA001009 range although I'm not sure how they increment between E0 and E7 in the ranges??
No idea but it also had "not sequential" ticked which implies (to me) that not all VIN in the range are necessarily included.  I think I would give it a week until they get their database working properly and check - online or with your dealer.  I would expect that they will be sending out notices but that doesn't always work.

Having a 2018ES I really hope this is all interweb nonsense.  My VIN doesn't come up on the NHTSA site.  Local, out of town and out of state dealers know nothing about it yet.  Maybe there's a bunch of Japanese engineers and techs trying to figure a way to replace shafts/gears without pulling the motor.

And the detune on the ECU is the other part of the fix?  If the gear issue is fixed why still the reflash?  It's not like I'm bouncing off the rev limiter everyday but it has seen the red line a time or three.

I do not believe that the nhtsa site is populated with trans recalls yet. As noted, the nhtsa doc says 50% affected. I expect to see folks start reporting they got notified at this week or the next.

Out of curiousity, I’ve been checking the nhtsa site daily. I’ve entered a number of VIN’s from within the listed ranges and none have returned a recall notice. It’s winter. Not as much to do outside. :)  

It appears NHTSA has added a recall in the U.S. according to at least one motorcycle website.  Highlights include:

• The recall affects FJR1300’s produced between December 9, 2015, and February 2, 2020. This puts the affected unit total to 2,285.  
  • Yamaha will notify owners, and dealers will inspect and, as necessary, reprogram the Engine Control Unit (ECU) and replace the main axle and drive axle assemblies, free of charge.
  • The recall is expected to begin January 13, 2021.
  • Owners may contact Yamaha customer service at 1-800-962-7926. Yamaha’s number for this recall is 990141.
  • Owners are advised not to operate their motorcycle until the repairs have been performed.
One can check their VIN for any US recall here.
I also read about the the ECU reprogramming. Wondering what that has to do with the transmission recall. Anyone...?

Production Dates : DEC 09, 2015 - FEB 02, 2020
VIN Range 1 : Begin : JYARP29E6GA000002 End : JYARP29EXKA000822 ✔ Not sequential
VIN Range 2 : Begin : JYARP29Y3GA000002 End : JYARP29Y8KA000151 ✔ Not sequential
VIN Range 3 : Begin : JYARP30E0GA000001 End : JYARP30E7LA001009 ✔ Not sequential
VIN Range 4 : Begin : JYARP30Y7GA000006 End : JYARP30Y8LA000221 ✔ Not sequential
VIN Range 5 : Begin : JYARP31Y4JA000003 End : JYARP31Y3LA000092 ✔ Not sequential
I'm trying to understand range list.

My VIN is JYARP29E1JA000481 - does that mean that is falls BEFORE "VIN Range 1" because it is JYARP29E1....?  >> VIN Range 1 : Begin : JYARP29E6GA000002 End : JYARP29EXKA000822 ✔ Not sequential

I'm trying to understand range list.

My VIN is JYARP29E1JA00481 - does that mean that is falls BEFORE this range because it is JYARP29E1....?  >> VIN Range 1 : Begin : JYARP29E6GA000002 End : JYARP29EXKA000822 ✔ Not sequential
If I were writing a script I would interpret JYARP29E1JA00481 as alphanumerically BEFORE JYARP29E6 because of the last bolded and underline digit. 1 is before 6.  I don't *think* your bike is in the ranges, but would still use the Yamaha and/or NHTSA web tools to confirm.

I would note that even inside the ranges, they checked "not sequential" indicating that not every one may be affected.  This may be  because of different  bikes in the line got certain gears vs. others and/or because Yamaha doesn't sequentially and/or consecutively assign VINs to their  bikes. They may have a competitive reason to mask their production numbers.  Others may have better knowledge of Yamaha's VIN schemes.....I've kind of paid extra attention over the years given I maintain the model matrix, but no expert.

If I were writing a script I would interpret JYARP29E1JA00481 as alphanumerically BEFORE JYARP29E6 because of the last bolded and underline digit. 1 is before 6.

I would note that even inside the ranges, they checked "not sequential" indicating that not every one may be affected.  This may be  because of different  bikes in the line got certain gears vs. others and/or because Yamaha doesn't sequentially and/or consecutively assign VINs to their  bikes. They may have a competitive reason to mask their production numbers.  Others may have better knowledge of Yamaha's VIN schemes.....I've kind of paid extra attention over the years given I maintain the model matrix, but no expert.
That's what I was thinking too...  so although its stated that they are non-sequential, it APPEARS that at least my VIN falls before the first recall range.

That's what I was thinking too...  so although its stated that they are non-sequential....
It might be a subtle distinction or we're talking across each other, but I think it's non-sequential WITHIN each of the 5 ranges they describe.

Latest posts