FJRF013 - Transmission Recall for Second Gear (DE, UK, CA, & US) (2016-2020)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went to my favorite local dealer here in Titusville (Spaceport Cycles) and they said no problem.  They've got the parts on order and will call when they're in.  No time estimate.  I bought my '09 from them, but went to Illinois for the '18 to a dealer that was blowing them out.

I did get a call yesterday from the Illinois dealer, so that's good.  Of course, FJR forum leads in the news of all things FJR!  I'm dissappointed in this issue as the whole reason I went to a FJR for long distance was the reliability, but as long as Yamaha makes it right, then no problem.

Does anyone know the complete parts list of what they replace?  My bike is low mileage, but I have to believe some of these are pretty high and could use freshening up when they go in there.

I called the local dealer where I bought my FJR and got the parts on order. The tech told me the parts come from Japan and could take up to 60 days! He added that it should be much sooner, but wanted me to be prepared for worst case.

Wonder if Amazon Prime can get them here in two days.
I had a similar experience here in Orlando, I was told "to be ready to be without the bike for 30~60 days". I posted what the dealer told me and based on forum feedback I also concluded with the feeling that they didn't want the job and I found another dealer ready, willing and able to do it.

And the parts are in Georgia, not Japan, and apparently plenty of kits available - so he had no clue what he was saying.

And the parts are in Georgia, not Japan, and apparently plenty of kits available - so he had no clue what he was saying.
I think he knew exactly what he was saying - he was just lying to you because he didn't want the work.  Sadly, he is probably not bothered by the loss of one sport-touring customer but the attitude will carry over into other aspect of the business.  Too much competition out there to be able to survive very long when you are an asshole and treat customers like shit. There is no conceivable reason why they shouldn't be able to order the parts, make an appointment for you and turn your bike around within 2 or 3 days.  (I would suggest you relay your experience to Yamaha corporate.) 

It will be interesting to see how many bikes are subject to the recall.  Yamaha has said 50% but I am betting there will be a lot more.  Don't think I have heard from anybody yet about a bike that specifically was not included or one that just needed the ECU reflash.

My 16es is on the list for brake switch and 2nd gear. Anyone getting any papers from Yamaha?

I have won the transmission and brake switch lottery as well. No letter from Yamaha yet.

My dealer says part kits are readily available (at least in Canada) . They are starting on their first FJR next week, and I am up after that. I think I am happy not to be first in line.

If there are dealers not interested in doing this work now, slack time for a lot of N. American dealers, imagine their interest when spring time rolls around and service depts get busy. Just a thought to those of you with a bike in storage, and thinking of waiting.

-Steve

What happens if I decide not to do the recall? I bought my 2016ES new and I don`t beat it and I don`t track it. I`d like to hear from some of you high mileage owners to see if you had any second gear issues. With the announcement of the end of the FJR, I might wait to see what Yamaha`s replacement will look like instead of the inconvenience of a recall.

What happens if I decide not to do the recall? I bought my 2016ES new and I don`t beat it and I don`t track it. I`d like to hear from some of you high mileage owners to see if you had any second gear issues. With the announcement of the end of the FJR, I might wait to see what Yamaha`s replacement will look like instead of the inconvenience of a recall.
The EOL for the FJR is so far only in the EU - I have not seen any announcement regarding North America.

As far as not doing the recall, its risky because you just don't know regardless of you you ride your bike.

My dealership called me today and said the recall parts are in. They are starting on their FJR recalls next week and are limiting the work to 2 bikes per week. Their four techs are Yamaha Certified: two are Gold, one is Silver and one is Bronze. Their top two guys are working on these recalls. I am #4 on the list and am scheduled to take my bike in on Feb 16 and get it back no later than Feb 20.

I mentioned stories alleging the reuse of the oil filter. He said all consumables will be replaced. He'd never considering putting the originals back in, regardless of whether it's in the recall instructions or not.

There's always a choice.  I've had 2 different dealerships F up my bike in the past.  I'd be thinking long and hard about this recall since AFAIK there's not a competent dealership service dept in this entire state.  Probably not, no, I'd not have it done by those monkeys and take my chances or buy the parts and do it myself.  Thank goodness I don't have to choose.

The recall bulletin says Yamaha will credit the dealer with 5qts. oil & 3qts. coolant for the job.  No mention of oil filter unless they're calling it the oil cleaner assy.

Also notes 'a helpful video' at:  https://youtu.be/_GErePFGmhA

That is exactly the way it was printed (without the underline) and I haven't checked it out yet.

Beside the gear/axel assemblies in the kit there's gaskets, O rings. about 40 fasteners, oil cleaner assy., damper side cover.  Dealer cost, $432.67 for non police version.  Second kit has gasket, O rings. seal, bolts.  Cost, $0.69

My 16es is on the list for brake switch and 2nd gear. Anyone getting any papers from Yamaha?
I just got the official Yamaha Safety Recall Notices (both second gear and front brake issues) for my '16ES in the mail today.  I'll be contacting my local dealer where I purchased the bike tomorrow--large multiline dealer, so hopefully they have some competent techs to handle this.  I don't see any choice but to have this done, but it really freaks me out.  Almost 20,000 trouble free miles so far and I do occasionally wail in the lower gears.

My dealer emailed today and said my parts are in. Taking the bike in next Thursday for a Friday appointment. Sounds like it'll be there for a few days. The recall says they provide oil. I asked if they'd put Motul 7100 in my bike as that's my preferred oil. They said the cost delta was $75!! I can buy 4 liters on Amazon for $45.....