FJRF013 - Transmission Recall for Second Gear (DE, UK, CA, & US) (2016-2020)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my fjr back from the local yamaha shop today, brake and transmission recalls done. Transmission feels like it always did, no problems. Mine was their first, state they have another in line.

I`m not doing mine. I had a nice talk with my dealer who is also a mechanic and he said that if it were his bike, he would not do the recall. Just my opinion.
But how can you say no to a brand new (free) transmission? 😄

Has anyone received or found the written procedure for this replacement? I would like to validate the work done by the dealer once completed (make sure nothing was forgotten)

Just dropped mine off at Colemans Powersports in VA outside of DC. They said they've done a half dozen or so and the tech doing my bike has done four or five. They estimate a week to get the parts then a couple days to do the work. I'm having them do a valve check while the motor is out. They estimate 1.5 hrs for that.

I had mine done at a dealer in Spokane Washington.  They even checked the shock relay arm bearings for free.  I have about 700 miles on the bike since the recall.  No problems at all.  Fluids are all up to the top levels.  Very happy with the work performed.  The transmission shifts just fine as it always has.  The shop had three FJRs in work the week mine was in for service.

Yamaha has done a good job with this.  Parts were ordered and came in about 3 weeks.  Work was done during winter when service shops have time available.  I think a Project Manager had a pretty good plan in place.

My recall was completed last week and I picked up this morning. I rode about 50 miles home and all seems normal. Tomorrow I'll be riding about 200 miles.
My repairing dealer treated me very well, the job was completed in 4 days as promised and the bikes looks like it was never disassembled, you have to look closely for marking and squeezed gasket sealer. All plastics in place correctly and tight. It looks to me they did a great job. Mine was the third one for them bhind their 2 showroom units, of which one had been sold and had to be repaired before delivery.
At this point I have to say they did everything they were supposed to and it cost me $0 including oil, filter and coolant. I did have them do some other maintenance while they had the engine out - spark plugs, swing arm lube and they threw in an air filter.
I dealt with Dustin at Spaceport Cycles in Titusville, FL. It's a small established shop that has been there for about 45 yrs. Dustin is a 10+yr GoldStar Tech and is also the GM at Spaceport.
Only miles will tell... But I feel good about how it all went.

So when I took my bike in for the recall, it was still under the original owner.  The dealer said he couldn't change it and I had to call Yamaha.  So I called YamaMama Customer Relations this morning and they don't have a specific option on the menu for motorcycles, just 'all other'.  I select that and get the message "Our staff is currently in a meeting, call back later". 

Really, the entire customer relations department has a staff meeting and they leave the line unattended.  First time I've ever encountered that.

I've been putting the 10w-50 semi-synthetic oil in the machine. In fact, just did the oil change in early December and then the gas top-off, bit of stabil in the tank, and hook up the Battery tender.  My put-to-bed routine. Took the bike in Thursday. Dealer said the recall only replaces with the basic grade mineral oil. If I wanted the semi-synthetic, they'd have to charge me for it.  Ok,... pisses me off a little, having wasted the time and effort and cashola to have done the work in December.  I'd be happier if mama-yama considered details like this.  Just a little bit of abuse. I'll put her back on semi-synthetic this late fall.  My 05 was fine on the basic oil for 62,000+ miles. 

I've only read about one dealer who replaced the oil with what they drained out. I had to pay the difference between basic oil and the Motul 7100 I typically use. At dealer prices the cost was what I can buy the Motul for on Amazon. Oh well....

I pick up the bike today. My tech said I had bluing friction plates that are a little abby-normal. It matters not at this point - the Matte-blue bike will serve as a trade-in. The bluing is substantial on some of them. Weird. 

-6002286613305553599.jpg

I am getting a bit frustrated.  I stopped by my chosen dealer on February 9th to order the recall kit.  It still has not arrived.  They have received recall kits for other FJRs ahead of mine but after 5 weeks nothing?  WTF?

So I called the Yamaha Corporate Customer Service line and like above all I got was recording saying that staff was in a meeting and unavailable.  Double WTF?

I am getting a bit frustrated.  I stopped by my chosen dealer on February 9th to order the recall kit.  It still has not arrived.  They have received recall kits for other FJRs ahead of mine but after 5 weeks nothing?  WTF?

So I called the Yamaha Corporate Customer Service line and like above all I got was recording saying that staff was in a meeting and unavailable.  Double WTF?
Yamaha knows you have a few (dozen) spare FJRs so they moved you to the back of the parts line... 😉

~G