FJRF013 - Transmission Recall for Second Gear (DE, UK, CA, & US) (2016-2020)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My bike has been in for 9 days now. The head mechanic called me Monday to tell me my "kit" was missing some key bolts and the next set of kits are 2 weeks out.

So I likely won't have my bike back until April...

My bike has been in for 9 days now. The head mechanic called me Monday to tell me my "kit" was missing some key bolts and the next set of kits are 2 weeks out.

Interesting.  I finally got a hold of a very nice customer service representative at Yammie corporate yesterday.  They called my dealer and called me back.  Apparently my kit had arrived and was missing bolts or something.  The rep is sending out a new kit that will take a week or so.  Good to know some specific information.

Had a very good experience with Anthony (service tech writer) at Nash Powersports in Mesa, AZ.  He reviewed the extensive tech bulletin showing what would be performed, and scheduled an appointment three weeks out to make sure he (and David, their senior tech) were ready to go.  No problems in obtaining the parts package for my '16.

I dropped off my bike on a Saturday afternoon... he had the bike on David's lift over the weekend so it wouldn't be sitting in the outside lot.  When David came in on Tuesday, he was ready to begin.  My bike was the first recall they had performed (the week of March 9th).  Brought my own oil and filter for the oil change (Mobil 1 and K&N) plus a new left crankcase cover (the original had a few scratches from an encounter with a few rocks).  Just under 45K miles when I brought her in.

The bike was ready for pick-up that Friday.  The only thing I had to do was to re-position slightly (and re-torque) the mounting plates for my SW Motech frame sliders when I got home... add the slider pucks, and re-route my battery tender wire from the battery to its proper resting place.

Took a 350 mile loop yesterday with a buddy (he has an '18 with 105K miles)... weather was perfect, bike ran flawlessly... enough said.

My buddy's '18 goes in on Tuesday... I guess I was his "test dummy."

Nice to find a dealer who treats your bike like it's their bike.

So when I took my bike in for the recall, it was still under the original owner.  The dealer said he couldn't change it and I had to call Yamaha.  So I called YamaMama Customer Relations this morning and they don't have a specific option on the menu for motorcycles, just 'all other'.  I select that and get the message "Our staff is currently in a meeting, call back later". 

Really, the entire customer relations department has a staff meeting and they leave the line unattended.  First time I've ever encountered that.
Their “all staff is in a meeting” recording is a commonly used setting for the Yamaha klown corps in Kennesaw. It can go on for days. Doesn’t really mean anyone is in a meeting. I never got that when I was talking to their Cali office. 

Just a quick follow up - Going on 450 miles, and bike is doing well post recall. Ill be picking up more miles soon. I know its not much, but I've been riding my recently completed Bandit 1200 for a bit - so a bit of 'mile sharing' going on.

Cheers!

“I've been putting the 10w-50 semi-synthetic oil in the machine. In fact, just did the oil change in early December and then the gas top-off, bit of stabil in the tank, and hook up the Battery tender.  My put-to-bed routine. Took the bike in Thursday. Dealer said the recall only replaces with the basic grade mineral oil. If I wanted the semi-synthetic, they'd have to charge me for it.  Ok,... pisses me off a little, having wasted the time and effort and cashola to have done the work in December.  I'd be happier if mama-yama considered details like this.  Just a little bit of abuse. I'll put her back on semi-synthetic this late fall.  My 05 was fine on the basic oil for 62,000+ miles. ”

Same frustration- I had fresh Synthetic oil, bike never started so asked them to reuse.

I had to supply an extra litre to top up what was lost.

Canadian FJR

I've been putting the 10w-50 semi-synthetic oil in the machine. In fact, just did the oil change in early December and then the gas top-off, bit of stabil in the tank, and hook up the Battery tender.  My put-to-bed routine. Took the bike in Thursday. Dealer said the recall only replaces with the basic grade mineral oil. If I wanted the semi-synthetic, they'd have to charge me for it.  Ok,... pisses me off a little, having wasted the time and effort and cashola to have done the work in December.  I'd be happier if mama-yama considered details like this.  Just a little bit of abuse. I'll put her back on semi-synthetic this late fall.  My 05 was fine on the basic oil for 62,000+ miles. 
Just write it off, Dave.  I feel your $$ pain.

Coleman says the recall parts came in and is done, but they're waiting on two gaskets for the valve check.  Dang.
The only gasket really needed for the valve check is the timing chain cover and 75% of the time it can be re-used - don't even have to open that up unless you have to change shims.    The rubber valve cover gasket can almost always be reused, if you are moderately careful.  (I have a spare on hand for the timing chain but I have had it for ten years now.)  Only other thing that needs changing is the coolant pipe o-rings.  Might be indicative that they are doing it "by the book" which isn't a bad thing.

Only other thing that needs changing is the coolant pipe o-rings.  Might be indicative that they are doing it "by the book" which isn't a bad thing.
My dealer just completed their 2nd bike (mine is next) and it developed a coolant leak after they put it back together.  Ended up being a defective coolant pipe o-ring that they obviously didn't change out.  I wonder if that is required "by the book"?  They apparently aren't in the kit (or the dealer just threw them away) and they had to order one which delayed the completion and the start on mine.

Don't know.  Those o-rings look pretty bad when they come out.  Squared off and somewhat hard from hundreds of heat cycles.  They should definitely be replaced.  Nothing magical about Yamaha o-rings - a suitable substitute can be gotten from any plumbing place.  I don't know the size off-hand but I'm sure you will find it SOMEWHERE on this forum.

Edit:  Found this

#14 O-ring (15/16" OD x 3/4" ID x 3/32") equivalent to p/n 93210-18417-00.

Someone else mentioned a R13 or #35776 - no idea, bring one to the store to compare.  Buna-N or Viton. Or buy them from your dealer for $2.00 each.

Well here we are. 4 weeks in and no word from the dealership yet...😏

Don't know.  Those o-rings look pretty bad when they come out.  Squared off and somewhat hard from hundreds of heat cycles.  They should definitely be replaced.  Nothing magical about Yamaha o-rings - a suitable substitute can be gotten from any plumbing place.  I don't know the size off-hand but I'm sure you will find it SOMEWHERE on this forum.

Edit:  Found this

#14 O-ring (15/16" OD x 3/4" ID x 3/32") equivalent to p/n 93210-18417-00.

Someone else mentioned a R13 or #35776 - no idea, bring one to the store to compare.  Buna-N or Viton. Or buy them from your dealer for $2.00 each.
Well the service manager called and talked to their parts guy and said the gaskets (o-ring?) are not expected until April 15th.  But all the recall parts are in.  Damn valve check.

Well the service manager called and talked to their parts guy and said the gaskets (o-ring?) are not expected until April 15th. 
The gaskets they are waiting for might be the valve cover gasket and the timing chain cover gasket.  Yamaha says to replace these but I haven't needed to in the past.

The local Lowe's should be OK for the two coolant pipe gaskets but many dealerships wouldn't use a non-OEM part.

I would love to be able to do a valve check with the engine sitting on a bench in front of me!

Dropped the bike off for the recalls on Wednesday afternoon and by Friday afternoon the dealer phoned me up to tell me it was ready!

Service dept. even called on Thursday and asked me what type of oil and coolant I use because they noticed the "tint" of the oil when they drained it. I told them Motul full synthetic and Yamaha coolant, so they replaced the fluids with exactly what I normally use @ no additional charge. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised! 

Took the bike out today for about a 100 miles, ran and shifted fine. 

I was a little concerned since this dealer doesn't sell too many FJRs if any at all (they had to get mine from another dealer) and this was the first one they've done these recalls on.

So far a happy experience..... 

Dropped the bike off for the recalls on Wednesday afternoon and by Friday afternoon the dealer phoned me up to tell me it was ready!

Service dept. even called on Thursday and asked me what type of oil and coolant I use because they noticed the "tint" of the oil when they drained it. I told them Motul full synthetic and Yamaha coolant, so they replaced the fluids with exactly what I normally use @ no additional charge. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised! 

Took the bike out today for about a 100 miles, ran and shifted fine. 

I was a little concerned since this dealer doesn't sell too many FJRs if any at all (they had to get mine from another dealer) and this was the first one they've done these recalls on.

So far a happy experience..... 

Wow.  Sounds like you got a good dealer that at least makes an effort.  I dropped mine off this past Friday morning.  They are scheduled to start on it Tuesday.  I was told 'at least a week'.  So far their customer service has not left me with a warm fuzzy.

Wow.  Sounds like you got a good dealer that at least makes an effort.  I dropped mine off this past Friday morning.  They are scheduled to start on it Tuesday.  I was told 'at least a week'.  So far their customer service has not left me with a warm fuzzy.
When I initially took the recall notice to my local dealer, they immediately ordered the recall kit and set an appt for the repair.

That way I didn't have to leave my bike there while waiting for the recall kit to show up and the tech would have a clear schedule to only focus on my bike/recalls. 👍