FJRF014 - Brake Light Switch (CA, UK, & US) (2013-2020)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I doubt it will be updated in Yamaha's system as complete. Since this is classified as a 'safety recall' Yamaha will undoubtedly insist it is performed by an authorized shop.

Item #12 is right, some bit of disassembly to replace too. Switch connector to main harness is located in the nose near LH windshield track. The wiring pigtail on the switch is right at 36" long. Just checked my replacement and of course, it's not the new -01 part number. Damn...

~G
My dealer seems very unsure about replacing the switch and has suggested 3 hours or more for this supposedly 1 hour job. They already gave up on it once before.
Perhaps I should do it myself as I still have some motorcycle tech savvy from the old days. Do you or anyone following along know what is specifically involved to replace the switch? I would like to try it myself.
Thanks in advance.

Do you or anyone following along know what is specifically involved to replace the switch? I would like to try it myself.
I don't know all the details but I doubt it is difficult.  If the dealer does it, it is done on their dime.  If you do it, they won't give you the parts to install - I'm pretty sure you would have to buy them.  You might try Shore Cycle in Mahone Bay.  Couple of hours each way but you might be able to schedule an appointment window and make a day of it.  I think they have done a few...  Probably worth giving them a call.

My dealer seems very unsure about replacing the switch and has suggested 3 hours or more for this supposedly 1 hour job. They already gave up on it once before.
Perhaps I should do it myself as I still have some motorcycle tech savvy from the old days. Do you or anyone following along know what is specifically involved to replace the switch? I would like to try it myself.
Thanks in advance.
Switch replacement isn't difficult. Biggest challenge (and perhaps your dealers issue) is removing the various plastic dash panels and not having experience with the snap together panels on GEN III FJRs. You can easily replace the switch but as RK points out, you'd likely have to eat the cost of a new switch.

~G

Interesting, the part number that Iris got 90891-30142-00 only costs about $24 and looks to be just the switch.  Is that right?  I thought the switch had the cable connected and had to be threaded up through the panels into the nose cone.

That's the right parts number but it says: FR stop switch Kit, FJR1300A

And the one I saw also had a Cust: R.O. (55836) for S/O # 66480

I assumed Cust stuff is one that was ordered for a customer from the dealer.

The kit contained the switch with about 3 feet of attached cable and harness connector. My dealer said it's kind of a pain because you have to remove the windshield, front nose piece and then thread it though some pretty tight spaces.

In my case, I had all of that stuff removed before I took it to the dealer. They had it completed in very little time.   

Switch replacement isn't difficult. Biggest challenge (and perhaps your dealers issue) is removing the various plastic dash panels and not having experience with the snap together panels on GEN III FJRs. You can easily replace the switch but as RK points out, you'd likely have to eat the cost of a new switch.

~G
Thank you for the response and information.
D

Anyone take pictures of their work for this light switch thingy?
We would like to do our own replacement. We just ordered the parts through a dealer.
The dealer needed our vin numbers (by the way) in order to get us the parts.
We tried calling partshark and they could not get the part bc is does not show up on their fiche.

I too have decided to eat the cost of a new switch and not let a hack destroy beautiful Naomi.
Having said that, it won't be done until, if, the switch dies and when I need to perform other work under the nose.

Anyone take pictures of their work for this light switch thingy?
We would like to do our own replacement. We just ordered the parts through a dealer.
The dealer needed our vin numbers (by the way) in order to get us the parts.
We tried calling partshark and they could not get the part bc is does not show up on their fiche.
Hi Iris,
It's not all that hard, but not 'easy' to remove the nose on an FJR. Search the forum, you will find good info.
IF you switch ain't broke, don't worry it.
When I get to doing mine I'll take pics and video if you can wait that long..

<snip>It's not all that hard, but not 'easy' to remove the nose on an FJR. Search the forum, you will find good info.
IF you switch ain't broke, don't worry it.
Just to be clear DC, what we refer to as the "nose assembly" is not removed for switch replacement. The switch pigtail plug terminates on the LH side under the windshield trim pieces.

~G

Just to be clear DC, what we refer to as the "nose assembly" is not removed for switch replacement. The switch pigtail plug terminates on the LH side under the windshield trim pieces.

~G
I think I’ll wait too until I either have to go in there for something else or the existing cable stops performing properly.

I think our issue with the brakes right now is something else.
One of the bikes: when front brake lever is pulled = no brake lights, but brakes do engage.
Rear brake pedal pressed = brake lights on.
I think there must be a short in the (yellow?) wire somewhere or one of the connectors are gummed up.
No need to reply to the above paragraph (as this would then become a thread hack).