FJRF014 - Brake Light Switch (CA, UK, & US) (2013-2020)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s hilarious.  That problem has been going on since 2002.  Why are they going to fix it now?
I believe the usual problem is the sticky brake pedal rather than a defective switch that needs to be replaced.  At least I haven't heard of many that weren't fixed by a little maintenance on the rear brake pivot.

No, this is the front brake switch, not the rear.  That front brake switch gets crusty from water and road spooge and stops working.  Been happening forever.

No, this is the front brake switch, not the rear.  That front brake switch gets crusty from water and road spooge and stops working.  Been happening forever.
I didn't see where is was specifically the front.  I had assumed the rear because that is a frequent issue - due to sticky pivot rather than the switch itself.

A more careful read reveals:

"Corrective Actions:Yamaha will notify owners by mail and instruct you to take your motorcycle to a dealer to replace the front brake switch."

I never have had a problem with over 200,000 miles on either of my two Gen IIs.

Good information RK, also saw it posted on the Tenere forum. Hopefully the recall extends to US models. I'll be trying for reimbursement for my '15s replacement switch that I fronted.

~G

Item #12 is right, some bit of disassembly to replace too. Switch connector to main harness is located in the nose near LH windshield track. The wiring pigtail on the switch is right at 36" long. Just checked my replacement and of course, it's not the new -01 part number. Damn...

~G

Just for the record, in the UK, I've received a recall letter for one or both brake switch(es). When I phoned my dealer, he had this in hand (I'm booked in for a service and MOT test in January).

He also said there was a recall on the carbon canister. Don't know what that's about, but I hope it's to prevent what happened to me some while ago, posted here.

No indication of a transmission recall.

I'll be watching for this one too.

"Fresh on the heels of the recall of the Yamaha FJR1300 for its gearbox issues, Yamaha has another recall on the books with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, this one affecting over 18,000 motorcycles.

At the core of the problem is a faulty brake light switch that is used on seven different models: the Yamaha FJR1300, Tracer GT, Niken GT, Super Ténéré, Star Eluder, and Star Venture.

According to the recall documents, the front brake switch on affected models may fail due to increased internal resistance caused by silicon oxide.

If this happens, the brake light and possibly also the cruise control system may stay on constantly. These systems might also have difficultly activating, and may also cancel activation unexpectedly. Any one of these situations could create a safety concern, hence the recall.

Note: Owners are advised not to operate their motorcycle until the repairs have been performed.

To remedy the issue, Yamaha will notify affected owners, and Yamaha dealers will replace the front brake switch, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin January 13, 2021."

"Fresh on the heels of the recall of the Yamaha FJR1300 for its gearbox issues, Yamaha has another recall on the books with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, this one affecting over 18,000 motorcycles.

At the core of the problem is a faulty brake light switch that is used on seven different models: the Yamaha FJR1300, Tracer GT, Niken GT, Super Ténéré, Star Eluder, and Star Venture.
Already posted for Canada and the UK.

FJRF014 - Brake Light Switch (CA & UK) (2013-2020) - Technical/Mechanical Problems - FJRForum

I presume that's the recall discussed in this thread

I have owned my 2016 ES since new. I wa# never notified that there was a side stand recall but when I put my VIN in at Yamaha it showed as there but not done yet. I’m sure they won’t notify anyone in the USA until next week but, since I never got the first recall how can I trust Yamaha to notify me? I also haven’t moved in 26 years so they have my contact info.

Yep, here in western Canuckistan, I got my letter from Yamaha on the brake light switch recall a few weeks ago. 

Had I not received one, I was going to probably just dig into the root cause and resolve it myself, but it's nice this will instead be handled for me in the next few months when I can get an appointment set up at a stealership.

I'm pretty sure that is what has been causing my Gen3 to occasionally not be able to lock into a cruise control; brake engagement is part of the solution logic...

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?nhtsaId=20V814000

December 28, 2020 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 20V814000
Front Brake Switch Can Fail

Failure of the front brake switch can cause the brake light to stay on constantly and/or the cruise control system to shutoff unexpectedly. Both situations increases the risk of a crash.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 20V814000​

Manufacturer Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA​

Components EXTERIOR LIGHTING​

Potential Number of Units Affected 18,203​

Summary

Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA (Yamaha) is recalling certain 2018-2020 MTT9GT (Tracer GT), 2019 MXTGTKL (NIKEN GT), 2017-2020 MT10, 2018-2020 XTZ12 (Super Ténéré), 2013-2020 FJR13, 2018 XV19B (Star Eluder), and 2018-2021 XV19 (Star Venture) motorcycles. The front brake switch can fail due to increased resistance from silicon oxide.​

Latest posts