FJRF014 - Brake Light Switch (CA, UK, & US) (2013-2020)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Received recall(s) for FJR and Tenere switches today. Already replaced the FJR switch over a year ago. Of course that switch has the old PN. Damn! Pretty simple job but definitely not quick. The pigtail is 36" long with the plug buried in the LH nose. Lots of digging to get to it.

~G

Yeah, got my recall this week too.  Luckily it got forwarded to us from our old address.  I have tried several times to update my address with MyYamaha online since I own two of their bikes, but can’t seem to accomplish it.  Sent a message to the closest dealership (in Rutland) and asked them to change my address on those VINs and queue me up for a recall after ice-out. 

Same here. We moved from TX to TN last summer and recall notice was forwarded to new address. Now, I just have to find the nearest dealer and get it scheduled.

For those wanting to change themselves word is, since this is a safety recall the dealer will not give you the part and will not clear the recall in the system.

Wow, 3 1/2 hours to replace that switch seems extreme.

This past week I took the FJR for it’s first ride of the season.  It was the first time the dirt roads were dry enough to get her out the 2 miles to pavement.  Got out on the highway and tried to power on the cruise control but got a flashing yellow cruise light and it wouldn’t engage.

Looking into it yesterday it appears that the cruise control function in the ECU requires continuity through a series of switches: 12V from the CC fuse, through clutch switch, front brake switch, rear brake switch, and finally through the reverse throttle CC switch.  All switches are “normally closed” and any one of them being operated disrupts the continuity to the ECU.

The front and rear brake switches are both dual pole switches with one side being the contacts for the CC and the other side used for the brake light (via the brake light relay).  So you can have a functional brake light and inoperative CC or vice versa, which is what I had.

When I inspected the switch on the underside of the brake lever perch I realized that the 3rd gen version of the switch is different that the lever switches I had previously messed with on my first gen, which was a crude set of contacts that could easily be disassembled and cleaned.  This one is a small plastic encased microswitch, the operating shaft of which is pushed in by a part of the released brake lever.  The switch is held on to the perch by one small phillips (JIS) head screw and the switch’s case has a couple of holes in it, so is not watertight, but easy enough to get some electric contact cleaner spray worked into it.  

That seemed to resolve my immediate CC flashing symptoms.  I’m wondering if the new recall switches will be more waterproof?  I need to make an appointment to have the new one installed, but we had another 6” of snow on Friday so we are back into the mud season delays again.

Good read Fred. Lots of switches to run through for functional system operation. Mine is due for repair too. Sigh.

When I called to make the appointment they told me it would take 30 - 45 minutes. This was my first experience with this dealer since I just moved to the area last summer.

Does anyone know something about this recall in Europe?
Recall "active" in the UK. MY 2018 was done, no idea on what was involved, I left the bike with them whilst they did a service and gave it its annual MOT test.

I was getting the cruise control light flashing occasionally (only way to recover it was to cycle the ignition). I've not seen that since, but rarely used the CC because of the Covid situation. 

I too, am soon scheduling an appointment at a local shop to get the front switch replaced under this recall.  

First noticed my Criuse Control indicator flashing [as a status that CC could not engage] just after I bought my Gen3 used last year. The problem wasn't presenting a latched failure mode (hard fail), so I was able to use my CC probably most of the time through 2020. When the recall notice surfaced, it finally clicked in my brain as to why I saw the flashing dash indicator; up until then, most manual reviews / internet searches hadn't really discussed the problem yet in an obvious way.

Recall "active" in the UK. MY 2018 was done, no idea on what was involved, I left the bike with them whilst they did a service and gave it its annual MOT test.

I was getting the cruise control light flashing occasionally (only way to recover it was to cycle the ignition). I've not seen that since, but rarely used the CC because of the Covid situation. 
Thank you for sharing. Yamaha said, than mine doesn't have a recall, but still waiting for my friends' (perfectly the same bike with that issue) bike answer.

Thank you for sharing. Yamaha said, than mine doesn't have a recall, but still waiting for my friends' (perfectly the same bike with that issue) bike answer.
My dealer did say that some bikes were on the list for the recall, others weren't, same with the transmission recall. He said it might depend on different suppliers, or batches, of the affected items.

My dealer did say that some bikes were on the list for the recall, others weren't, same with the transmission recall. He said it might depend on different suppliers, or batches, of the affected items.
Just got an answer for a second one. No recall even his bike already has a problem.

I have to say that I didn't have an illusions that might be different. Is there any way to check it by my self?

Is there any way to check it by my self?
The only way to check is by getting in touch with Yamaha with the VIN. If your only way is through your dealer and you don't know if you can trust him, maybe if you can ring another dealer?

In my case I got a letter directly from Yamaha saying it needed the brake switch recall doing. When I booked it in, the dealer told me it also was going to get a replacement carbon canister. I also asked whether mine was in the list for the transmission recall, he checked on a list of VINs, he said it wasn't.

The only way to check is by getting in touch with Yamaha with the VIN. If your only way is through your dealer and you don't know if you can trust him, maybe if you can ring another dealer?

In my case I got a letter directly from Yamaha saying it needed the brake switch recall doing. When I booked it in, the dealer told me it also was going to get a replacement carbon canister. I also asked whether mine was in the list for the transmission recall, he checked on a list of VINs, he said it wasn't.
Lithuania is  small country and sadly we have only one dealer. And I have to admit that a client service standard is not a thing about which they heard about it.

I was wondering is VIN number have any additional information, like country or something. I guess - not. Is there any way that you could ask about two FJRs in UK?

As I understand you bought your FJR in UK new one? You mentioned, that you got an email.

I was wondering is this still information about the recall. I guess we should go to the private conversation.

Lithuania is  small country and sadly we have only one dealer. And I have to admit that a client service standard is not a thing about which they heard about it.

I was wondering is VIN number have any additional information, like country or something. I guess - not. Is there any way that you could ask about two FJRs in UK?

As I understand you bought your FJR in UK new one? You mentioned, that you got an email.

I was wondering is this still information about the recall. I guess we should go to the private conversation.
You can check here if your VIN is included in recall (EU version): 

https://www.motorradonline.de/ratgeber/yamaha-rueckruf-bremslichtschalter-tempomat/