FJRForum Official 2015 Iron Butt Rally Tracking/Analysis thread

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So I take WC is in the running. The question is on what platform. FJR or Busa?
No. WC hasn't ridden the IBR since 1997. He's been IBR staff since '99, led the team that has entertained us with Snapple bottles in fuel cells, and providing special IBR commentary here for the past 3 or 4 rallies.

So let me begin with some speculation: Our man @Lipps is going to finish very well. I mean, extremely well. Top rookie.
I like that notion.
smile.png
I'm still thinkin' you guys arranged the "tie" ... Loved the format, even in the bleachers it got exciting. Well matched, the pair of you.

So, this is Tuesday before the big ride. I guarantee every single rider in this event is thinking about Albuquerque--even folks that may not leave for another day or two. They've been thinking about it for well over a year since they were accepted into the rally clear back in about December 2013. They've already thought about tires, oil changes, what food they're going to carry with them, which GPS to buy, hotel reservations, GPS tracking, where to send sizable checks off to, what to tell their wives, mothers, and children, when should they leave for the starting line, practiced importing arcane data files into laptops, pretend rode previous rallies to practice puzzles, and myriad other details.

Tuesday is the day to start getting butterflies about riding the ride of your life.

We've got many people already watching this forum and if you're a rider in this year's event and have a few minutes to share what it's like to get ready for the 2015 Iron Butt Rally--we'd love to hear from you.

Heading to airport. . .
Perfect! Good luck Josh!

Last edited by a moderator:
I really find long rallies less stressful than short rallies. A 12-hour rally can be crazy as getting five minutes behind schedule can throw off your entire plan. Over a 11 day rally, if your plan goes off the rails for any number of reasons, you will probably have the time, even if it takes close to a day, to get your shit back together and then get back in the game.

I find events like the IBR to be very therapeutic. After a stressful month at work and in my personal life (I'm in the middle of a move), the IBR is going to be a vacation. My only job for 11 days is to ride, with a little bit of pressure and competitive spark thrown in to make it even more fun.

Regarding butterflies, not really. My pulse doesn't start to rise until I open the rally pack for the first time. That's when shit gets real.

Regarding prep, of course there are a few things you can't blow off and have to take care off months in advance: hotel reservations at start/checkpoint/finish, getting proper insurance levels, Medjet policy, etc... But at this point I don't require much prep to head off for a rally, even one as long as the IBR. Due to the length, I do take a few extra things: larger tool kit with some spares, ground pad for napping, my favorite protein bars and electrolyte replacement, bike cover.... But really, the only reason I've had to do extensive prep for this IBR is that my rally bike was destroyed during Butt Lite last summer. A damn 19 year old with no license, and who happened to be texting while driving, "decided" to run into the back of my bike at 35 mph while I was at a complete stop. I picked up a good used FJR last September and then proceeded to wait until April to start adding the farkles I had bought over the prior seven months.

In the last week, in addition to packing the bike, the only thing I've done is put on a fresh front tire (PR4 GT), change oil/filter, and change final drive oil (thanks Justin P for hosting me in your garage for the last two).

I definitely had to put much more advance thought into packing since the movers packed up my place last Friday, so if I didn't set it aside in advance, then I wasn't going to be able to take it. Moving out of my place the week before the IBR was not the best idea, but I really didn't have a choice as I am in the military and being transferred to D.C. the week after the IBR.

Some say it is good to have a long ride to the start as it gets your head in the game. I say BS, after the '13 IBR, I am glad I only have a five hour ride to the start/finish. I'll be leaving mid-morning on Friday.

At least the bike is ready and sitting safe in a 10x10 storage room.

I really find long rallies less stressful than short rallies. A 12-hour rally can be crazy as getting five minutes behind schedule can throw off your entire plan. Over a 11 day rally, if your plan goes off the rails for any number of reasons, you will probably have the time, even if it takes close to a day, to get your shit back together and then get back in the game.
I agree. I did an 8 hour rally once and it was exhausting. Absolutely no time to make a mistake when you're getting a new bonus every 20-30 minutes. On the long ones you'll go for hours between a bonus.

Is our goal for 2015 to top this? If so the rest of you are gonna have to pick up my slack!

Taking off tomorrow. Should be in ABQ Thursday afternoon.

Our man @Lipps is going to finish very well. I mean, extremely well. Top rookie.
I also think Erik is going to do extremely well, however Top rookie is a lot of pressure. In 2013, 5 of the top 7 riders were rookies, including first and second place
wow.gif

I hope Wendy Crocket is in it. I will be rooting for her.
I would too, but she, Mike, and their cute new baby will be spectators this year. :)

However, do expect Wendy to be one of those "special guest commentators" on this thread.
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

She's already shared with me that she's had a bunch of riders in the shop in the last week getting last-minute work done.

Dam, now I have to find a second choice. She was surely moving up in the ranks. Hopefully down the road she will return.

Dave

You can't go wrong rooting for one of the ERIC(K)s, oh wait one of them is stubbornly at a disadvantage by not riding the three peat enabling FJR and another came to his senses (RFLAGG). Guess it's a wash. Great group.

I will be riding again this year. It will be my 3rd IBR. I am using the same 07 FJR as the previous rallies so preparations were less intense this year than my first IBR. As Matt indicated, the time leading up to the IBR can be all consuming. It is all the little details that can make your life a little bearable over the 11 days (i.e what clothes to bring, what food to pack, extra credit cards, medications, etc, etc.) It helps to have completed the 2011 and 2013 IBRs and I now have a well defined routine that works for me including a checklist for all the details that need to be taken care off and the items to pack. I find myself getting a little anxious as I ride closer to the start in Albuquerque, NM (I am currently just south of Kansas City). During the ride to the start, I have too much time to think about all the things that can go wrong over the 11 days....bike issues, health issues, extreme weather, animal strikes, careless drivers etc. However, I know that this anxiety will disappear once the tech inspections and registration is completed on Sat. Sun is `game face` day and all the energy and focus is placed on the rally (plan the ride....ride the plan). During the rally, the people reading this topic will be more informed of the big picture than the riders. When in rally mode, all that matters is the next bonus stop, the next gas stop, the next rest stop..... You really have no idea what is happening to other riders, or where the majority of riders are going, who has dropped out etc. This year we have some exceptional riders on FJRs and I expect a good showing. I want to take this opportunity to wish the other participants a safe rally and for a great placement. To those following this topic, enjoy what I am sure will be an entertaining IBR to follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.